MacRumors lacking rumors these days?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by spaceballl, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Don't get me wrong... I love this site. I especially love the forums here! But for the past few months, it seems that the only info this site posts are links to think secret and appleinsider. anyone agree?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm with you. New rumors seem hard to come by these days. But I spend more time in the forums now.

I wonder if the Apple lawsuits have anything to do with the scarcity of rumors? :confused:

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I dunno... I see quite a lot of rumors here. It is valid to say that Apple has really cracked down on insider information; beyond that, there are rumors a-plenty (video iPod, iTunes phone, MacIntels, etc.). Many of them have been speculated about so much that they've lost all meaning.

The Mighty Mouse was a total bolt from the blue, though... no one picked up on that at all prior to its release.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

MR collects rumors, it doesn't investigate it's own. It's kinda like Yahoo News as opposed to CNN.

Lethal

5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I think MR, members and staff, has gotten a lot better at not reporting every rumor that comes down the pipeline, which is probably why we have such sporadic information. I mean, honestly, have any of you noticed that we no longer speculate the return of the Newton or the advent of the Apple tablet? Everyone just kind of burned themselves out on that stuff.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

MacRumors reports news and credible rumors from a number of sources. As you have noticed, particular sources such as Think Secret are considered to be more reliable than others. Less relevant and less credible stories are skipped, relegated to Page 2, or linked to only from MacBytes or threads posted by members.

Anytime you have news, be sure to submit it!

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think MacRumors has been doing an excellent job. Sure, maybe the rumors they report come from Appleinsider, ThinkSecret, etc., but I don't really care! One of the reasons I come here is for news of that nature, so I could care less if MR themselves has a scoop, or just picked up on one from another site. Plus, there are many more reasons why I am here anyway, so it doesn't bother me if Apple has locked down a lot more of their infromation from rumor hounds as of late. It's all good. :cool:

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

MacRumors is a great place for many reasons. I enjoy being able to keep up on the latest news. The ability to help others and receive help is very special IMHO. Have also made friends.

9. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I've been following this site since the start of the year when we had a new housemate move in and he put me onto the whole mac rumour mill (switched 1 and a half years ago now because the mrs thought macs looked prettier!). I've certainly noticed that this site acts more as a one stop shop for collected rumours rather than a story-breaker such as think secret (although i'm sure that helps keep the legal bills down). However. where macrumors beats the others with a hefty stick is in its forums, rumour discussion here is plentiful and for the most part insightful and the community is both large and welcoming. I like that rumours seen here are often treated with a hefty pinch of salt and it is nice to be informed of what to believe and what not - i would love to think that half of what i read on macosrumors is true, sadly they are lucky to get anything right.

So here's to macrumors, the cochrane of apple sites.

10. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

It's been disappointingly quiet. The forums have been a real drag lately. Time for a toga party.

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Would agree that is been quiet, how about a silly but almost true rumor to get things going again.

Remeber all the fuss regarding the "lift" photos of the at the time unscene iMac G5?

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Give it two weeks.

The weeks leading up to Paris will heat things up big time.

13. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

This is still one of my favorite mac sites, even though i agree with you. Its got just enough info for me. It seems to cover the big topics without too much stuff to wade through. This is why I personally don't like Macminute.com. Not that its a bad site (probably one of the best), but I just don't read much of the info there.

If I really want to hear about all the tech news, rumors, gossip, etc. I usually hang out here, digg.com, and I listen to TWit, Engadget, and the such. Not to hijack, but what's the best Mac podcast IYO?

14. Chubypig macrumors 6502

One thing is that we now know that there are going to be Intel Macs in the next year, so speculation on new computers is less. We know it's coming so there's no rumors. :(

15. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

We've missed a few rumors!

MacRumors has missed several rumors. Did anyone but me see Apple Photo Pro? Photoshop CS3? And I did submit it but nobody payed attention!

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

MacRumors lacking rumors these days?

Need a rumor?

Well, my aunt's friend's sister's former husband's golf-partner said that dual-core 2GHz PowerBook G5's are to be released next tuesday. ;) :)

If you believe that rumor, then I have some cheap real-estate to sell to you in Antartica! ;) :D

--------------------------------------

Joking aside, the rumor-mills here at MacRumors have been
    rather quiet lately.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Is this golf partner trustworthy? ;)

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Why of course he is!

This golf partner happens to go by the initials S.J. ;) :D

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, some of you are disappointed that MR doesn't have many rumours nowadays. Does anybody else?

Do you want someone to start some random rumour to keep the place going for you?

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Actually, some people do, as they love complaining. They'll build up those completely fake rumors and then when nothing comes to fruition, they'll just complain about it. "What, there's no dual core 3.0 GHz G5 PowerBooks announced at MWSF? But someone here said there would be!" Some people actually appear to enjoy engaging in this cycle of behavior. :p ;)

21. mac-er macrumors 65816

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Its a shame, but some people get a kick out of being miserable (ie- constant complaining). :rolleyes:

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't get people who like complaining. Ah well...

24. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I hate it when people complain and the complaints are just complaining about some complaint or another. I mean, I am tempted to lodge an official complaint about the complainers who make complaints about everything and complain when others complain about their complaints……..I could go on, but someone will complain :p

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Because they have not developed the discipline of giving thanks and gratitude. Those people should be taken to the back and beaten with a pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.