MacRumors Launches 'Mac Guides'

Discussion in 'Mac Guides' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The new MacRumors Guide pages are a companion to the MacRumors website and forums. The Guide pages are based on the MediaWiki software which drives the popular Wikipedia encyclopedia. The software is designed to provide a collaborative environment for users to continuously edit entries to provide both accurate and up to date information about the many topics.

The purpose of these Guide pages is not to provide another comprehensive encyclopedia website, or even a general Mac encyclopedia. Instead it is meant to provide an organized outlet for the vast amounts of knowledge that is provided in the forums.

The Guide pages can be found from the "Guides" tab in the navigation tabs near the top of the page, or directly through http://guides.macrumors.com.

Beyond tutorials and how to's, we also expect to host detailed product pages for the most recent Apple releases. These topic pages will be created as products are released (such as the PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2005) and will be kept up to date as new information rolls in about configurations, photos, benchmarks, problems and more.

For those unfamiliar with the Wiki software, we have some help pages to get you started.

Of note, we are restricting the ability to edit content to registered forum users. All users who were registered prior to October 29th, 2005 will have full editing rights, however, any new registrations beyond that time will need to achieve a 20 post minimum in the forums prior to being able to edit. The reason for this is to prevent spamming/abuse issues. See How to Register and Login for more details.

For questions and discussion about the Mac Guide pages, we have also opened up a new Mac Guides forum to discuss any issues.

2. macrumors 604

Lacero

Great job. This will be an invaluable resource for information. This certainly will raise the signal-to-noise ratio in the forums and provide timely, accurate information.

3. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Glad to see it "go live"
    I think it will be an awesome addition to MR

Thanks arn

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. macrumors 68000

russed

this is a really cool addition and will hopefully carry on the good work that was done by the "how to's" and will hopefully stop the repetative questions etc.

what i would say is could the tab to it be made more obvious so that people looking for an answer will think to look there first. or maybe put a bit link at the top of hte pagE?

5. macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

This looks excellent. I'm sure it will be an invaluable resource and very interesting read. I look forward to watching it grow.

Thank You MR! :)

6. macrumors 65816

yoak

Great news.
    I have been checking out the work on Wiki on OSX already, and it seems that alot can be done. With the amount of knowledge floating around here, it will be great help

7. macrumors 6502

What an awesome idea! Saves people from sifting through forums (on MR and elsewhere) to find the info they need. On my very cursory glance of the page, it looks really good! Thanks a bunch!

8. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Great Idea Arn!

I look forward to contributing, and reading other's contributions.

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Am working on more tight integration with the forum.

arn

10. macrumors 68020

dubbz

If you're unfamiliar with wikis the movie linked to at the bottom of this page is recommended. It's actually quite interesting in any case.

11. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ok people, lets get to work fleshing out the wiki!

12. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This is going to really be a great thing, I can't tell you how many times I've been to Wikipedia to look something up about Apple.

13. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

14. macrumors 601

Diatribe

Pretty sweet. How about a Mac basics and troubleshooting and a 3rd party hardware category in addition to the existing? I'll have to start and convert my Mac Starter Guide into this thing. Really nice, great work Arn.

15. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think Wikipedia does a great job... and this certainly isn't meant to replace it - but certainly, topics will get a different and more detailed treatment coming from a Mac user perspective.

As a for instance, the Guide pages have only been unofficially up for a few days really, and there's pictures and a topic on iTunes 1.0

http://guides.macrumors.com/ITunes_1

which I find very interesting.

arn

16. macrumors 6502

afields

17. macrumors member

Great idea! I'm really excited about this new feature. Any thing that makes trouble shooting less troublesome.

My suggestion is that perhaps Guide entries could some how be integrated with forum search results. Many people may be familure with how to search forums for answers to questions, so it would be a convient redirection to the guides for such searchers.

18. macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

License

Hey arn, what's the license on this? Creative Commons?

I've been working on another Mac OS X wiki (see the sig), and although the two projects are different, It would be nice if we could copy one another. For instance, the Mac OS X Wikibook already has a complete (save pictures) chapter on The Dock. Likewise, I expect more information/images to appear here that would be great on the wikibook.

19. macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

I second that motion!

20. macrumors 65816

stridey

Excellent. It's great to see a venue where our collective knowledge can really shine in a way that sometimes gets buried in the forums. :D

21. macrumors 601

Diatribe

It would also be nice if the MR Buyers Guide would be user editable since it seems kinda outdated...

22. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

ya, I will work on somehow integrating the buyers guide with the wiki. It's a bit harder because the timeline is automatically generated. but we'll see how it works.

arn

23. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

This is a great idea. There is some really high-level knowledge on this forum, and it ought to be collected in wiki form. I know this was a lot of work, but I think the results will be excellent.

24. macrumors 6502a

camomac

Thank you Arn!

This is a great idea, and I am sure that the community as a whole will benefit from all the knowledge that is on this on this site!

25. macrumors newbie

Right On!

This is pretty exciting. I am sure that this will be one of the first places that I turn to for information.