MacRumors magazine

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by imacintel, Nov 23, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

I think it would be a good idea to have a macrumors magazine. I mean, MacWorld has a mag, why can't MacRumors.com?

Opinions?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The rumors would come to fast for a monthly.

Still it's a very hot topic for something small and light.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Macworld is a mag than now has an online presence. MR was never a magazine and isn't really suitable as a periodical.

4. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

i see. But for some reason I can picture Mac Rumors magazine. I thik it would be a great hit and you could make MR better.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Page three would have to include a section on changing icons every issue. That'd be neato.

In all honesty, I think this place is too dynamic to be suited to a magazine format. It gets updated too quickly. I always notice when I'm looking at other Mac magazine at the newsagent that they have relatively out-of-date write-ups and reviews, simply because it takes so much longer to publish a magazine compared with posting a thread. :eek:

6. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

every mac magazine that i pick up at the newsagent, has the same stuff that's written write here on MR... infact, it's always here on MR first.

I feel a month or two behind when I pick up a hardcopy from somewhere.

I stopped buying mac magazines after I purchased maybe five... I'll only buy one if I'm really bored, and in an airport waiting for a flight. hehehe

you could do a cool PDF eZine of MR stuff.... fortnightly or something.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The only idea with any legs although the effort involved in writing, editing and creating a professional-looking publication is substantial, and unless it actually generates income (hard to see how with identical content to the site) and drives traffic/advertising would mean it would be difficult to sustain over 1 or 2 issues, let alone an entire year.

A bulk regular emailing (akin to the Guardian's 'The Fiver') with a short précis of the top stories of the week might have a take-up but the question remains: who would do it? These things need careful editorial input and formatting and as far as I know, everyone here is a volunteer and has day-jobs to keep them busy.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While I can see how this could be a cool idea, I just think that it would prove to be too impractical to actually carry out. :eek: :)

9. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

haha me too! only in airports.

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Funnily enough I was at the airport earlier today seeing my brother off and we were in the news agency because he wanted a sudoku book. I saw a copy of latest MacWorld, flicked through it quickly and just though "meh, all old news". Like everyone else has said, there are just too many updates here for a magazine to be useful or practical.

11. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

There's the possibility MacRumors Magazine could get sued out of existence (if they decide to publish exclusive insider info; no point regurgitating what other sites publish)

Other than that, it would make for a great read on the crapper, but that's what a laptop and wireless internet is for! :)

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Compiling a bunch of member articles, quotes, pictures, blogs, music, etc. into a magazine.

Then we can sell advertising like Spymac did. :eek:

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I've stopped reading MacWorld because I already know everything printed in it from reading MacRumors.com, AppleInsider.com and MacUser.com

Nothing against MacWorld. It is a fine publication, particularly the UK edition, and I do occassionally read their reviews online, but the nature of print is such that they just can't keep up.

14. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

It would be nice to have a roundup at the end of the month in form of a nice .pdf file (with imbedded links and such).

I would/could send it to friends who are interested in Apple news/rumours, but who don't bother to check MR or other sites regularly.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can we run shocking exposés with headings like "You've never seen Aqua like this!" Please? :eek:

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You Will Never Believe Where This iPod Has Been.:eek:

17. Lau Guest

When MacBooks Go Bad
    OS Swap
    Fast User Switching — Is It Morally Repugnant Or Part Of The 21st Century?

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Special Report: Do you Google to much.
    and in sports: Safari Firefox and IE7 duke it out in the ring to see who is champion.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This Mac swings both ways! :D
    Viruses and risky browsing behavior: What you need to protect yourself!

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Has The Mac Pro Put On Weight? Find out on page three of this month's MacRumors Gazette.

21. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

All the reviews would be like "OMG the MB sux, it gets too hot, the edges cut me, it is too slow, I hate the glossy screen, it moo's" etc:rolleyes: :D

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

MacBook Pro! Ten secrets that will drive you wild! :)

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

All great titles Lau! :D

Perhaps we should start up a MR Magazine™.... ;)

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We should at least have more sensationalised news item titles!

25. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The only function of a monthly computer magazine (for me anyway) is to have deeper articles by higher quality writers.

That's why I continue to respect Edge (in the UK) magazine - it has quality indepth articles about the gaming industry, interviews with the game creators, a high standard of writing and layout and design.

(and other magazines like the Economist.)

Same with the newspapers, yes it's all yesterday's news, and I've already seen most of it on the BBC news website, but I value the analysis and comment - a 500 word considered analysis takes the same amount of time to read as watching a 30 second stonewall blurb from a government flack on TV.

Not so much the weekend papers tho; their quality in the UK has gone down shockingly.