Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilsonlam97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Hi, I heard that Macrumors has a tight-knit marketplace area that I would be interested in joining.

Having traded for a long time on RFD it would be a pleasure to join the exclusive Macrumors Marketplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: iPhonagain

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The marketplace is only accessible if you have at least 250 posts and have been a member for 6 months.

Exactly. And the key word in that sentence is 'and'.

To the OP: Thus, there are two requirements: The first is the number of posts (it must be 250) an the second is the length of time (6 months); both requirements must be met before you will be allowed entry to the marketplace.

Reactions: MajorFubar

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hi, I heard that Macrumors has a tight-knit marketplace area that I would be interested in joining.
While that might be true, the marketplace forum is not the focus of MacRumors, we are a discussion forum for Apple products, which also offers the opportunity to sell/buy here. As its not our main focus but rather discussing Apple products we have as noted above a 250 post/6 month member requirement. This requirement is set so that as a member people get to know you and you have interact in our discussion forums.

Reactions: MajorFubar

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
This paragraph from the Marketplace Rules explains a bit more:

The requirements for post count and length of membership are designed to limit those offering sales, purchases, or trades to members who have been around the forums enough to become known and have an investment in their MacRumors membership that they are unlikely to want to risk. Although new members or members with fewer posts may be perfectly responsible buyers or sellers, other members have few ways to confirm that at MacRumors. The lack of a post history in the discussion forums has proven to be a detriment to successful dealmaking. The requirement for length of membership will not be an issue for most members, but discourages rapid posting by new members who might try to build their post count to gain Marketplace access quickly.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
on the main index just lookat your name in the upper right column, right above latest replies.

Okay found it, thank you. How does one acquire points? I am pretty active on here but don't appear to have any... :/

EDIT:
Nevermind.. I read the original reply wrong and saw "points" instead of "posts"

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nevermind.. I read the original reply wrong and saw "points" instead of "posts"
Yes, its not points but rather posts, and with the exception of a handful of forums, you make a post it increases your post count. PRSI, Marketplace and Console Games and Code Sharing and Software Promos forums do not increase your post count

Reactions: davidmartindale

flodschi22

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
Austria
Yes, its not points but rather posts, and with the exception of a handful of forums, you make a post it increases your post count. PRSI, Marketplace and Console Games and Code Sharing and Software Promos forums do not increase your post count
Thanks now I understand it too! :)

grouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
New York
I've been a member for 10 years but still don't meet the requirements, I guess it's time to make a bunch of posts for no particular reason in order to gain access ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess it's time to make a bunch of posts for no particular reason in order to gain access ?
Just to expound a bit more on what @annk replied with. As per our rules, we do not permit actions that are considered over posting, or as some call it post padding.

Overposting. Making the same post many times, making multiple pointless posts in the same thread, making numerous posts with no real content, or posting for the purpose of gaining a higher post count.

Reactions: annk and icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.