Macrumors members quoted in CIO Today

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xPismo, Jan 16, 2007.

1. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

I saw this and busted out laughing.

Maybe its just me but why would you quote forum members in your article? Do they even ask for permission? Isn't everything we say property of Macrumors/Arn? I think EagerDragon and Guzhogi just became tech journos! :cool:

2. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

they should have at least contacted an adminstrator, or arn imo. That was pretty funny, but that guy is right but i know i'll be one of the ones to actually pay the fee, like most out there that have a pre-n router.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's easier than randomly interviewing people in the street to see if any care about this?
    No need. This is exactly the kind of usage that fair dealing/fair use is there to protect.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Rebroadcasting material on these sites sort of cuts both ways when they loosened the rules for this type of stuff.

If we can quote their stories, they can likely quote us in their rags.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

With all due respect to MR, quoting us is not necessarily good journalism, apart from using the material in the context of consumer reactions/opinions.

You don't even hear much more popular forums getting quoted by news outlets - they prefer blogs, especially considering how silly many of our handles sound in a serious context. ;) :p

6. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Granted a quick search could reveal this thread to the author of this article, but maybe the author is a fellow MacRumors user!! :eek:

7. xPismo thread starter macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Yeah, which is why I found it so funny. :D

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But you need to find out people's reactions to news regarding an Apple product that very few people know anything about. Where are they going to find numerous people who know about the very latest Apple news and rumours. Standing outside an Apple Store won't work because you're not really going to get the most knowledgeable people answering the question.

In some ways, going to a board like MacRumours is a great decision on their part.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Exactly.

Even people who are grabbed on the street for an opinion offer some pretty stupid "insights" sometimes. Quoting a forum, where anybody can say just about anything, is very poor "journalism".

If they wanted to "quote" people in the aggregate, such as, "Reactions to the iPhone at Macrumors.com forums were highly positive," that's a different story.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure that nobody contacted MacRumors about it.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

In other news, the iPod is destined to be a colossal failure.

Vox populi is a medical term for what's commonly called "lazy journalist's disease."

12. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Ouch. Talk about foot in mouth right there.