Macrumors Mensans?

Discussion in 'Community' started by rainman::|:|, Jan 14, 2003.

1. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Any other Mensa members out there? i'm willing to bet in a huge group of Mac users, there are more than normal...

:)
    pnw

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

there has got to be for sure... or at least people who have scored that high.

i miss it by 10 to 15.... but it wasnt really official. dont know what i would score if it was.

*sigh* i wish my score were 200! then again i would probably die early... my brain wouldnt be able to function long with all the information or and or thinking on a high level.

brian needs rest.... people brains who score that high are 24/7 pushing it too thier limits.

3. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I haven't made the effort to join Mensa, but I recall being told in grade school that my IQ score was the highest they'd seen in that school.
    ...of course I'm much dumber now.

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you should man... good for resume!

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

is there such a thing as a humble mensa member?

6. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i know that my IQ is high enough to get in, and i've aced their practice test, but i havent taken the official one. wanted to, but never got around to it. is it worth it? is there any advantage to joining other than really bragging rights or anything? i'm still a student in HS, so i guess it'll look good on my college application.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i really dont know that i would put mensa on my resume after i take the test. i know i'd get in but i'm having a hard time deciding whether or not i should do it.

8. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Don't put it on your resume. Intelligence is a highly sensitive issue with people who aren't as well endowed as others. Politics are a bitch especially workplace politics. I've stated it once and I'll state it again, people don't like dumb people and they don't like smart people. They like nice people.

9. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

so is there any point to being in mensa other than personal satisfaction?

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    not that i know of. i took the exam in college and passed...then decided not to join. i've got enough lapel pins.

to paraphrase the great groucho marx: " i would never join a club that would have me as a member"...

11. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

There are some benefits, a program that aids traveling mensans, discounts at a great many places. I can get cheaper contact lenses should the day come, and have a smaller deposit when i rent a car, etc. There are also scholarship programs for kids under 18 that join mensa. As well as a weeklong national get-together with lectures on different topics relating to IQ.

Personally i use it on resumes to some places, if i think it would give me a boost over other applicants. but in some situations you don't want to do it--

and no, humble mensans do not exist. Lots of crazy ones, tho...

pnw

12. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

hmm, scholarship programs, eh? do you have anymore information about that? is t for college, or for other things? :)

13. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

How embarrassing to have to correct myself on a thread about IQ, but I must...
    I should have wrote:
    ...of course I'm much stupider now.
    Yes, I am much stupider, I am stoopid in fact, that's why I haven't joined.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Not realli in the mood to join Mensa even though I'm only 14 and i have an IQ of around 200. :p to krossfyter: I don't push my brain 24/7. It just happens! Did I want to be this *intelligent*? No. I was hoping I could just be normal, just fit in but where on earth would a teenage mac user/programmer fit in?

15. vniow macrumors G4

stupid stupid stupid question

What the hell is a mensa?

16. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

My IQ isn't the best.. 170s I think. I could get into Mensa, but it just looks so damn snobby its not worth it. Besides, waste of time.

17. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

Re: stupid stupid stupid question

Not really stupid, not everyone has heard of it. It's the international high-IQ society, the only requirement being an IQ in the top 2% of the population. The minimum IQ fluctuates based on the current composite, but is usually between 130-140. 165 is considered brilliant and nothing above that can be measured accurately.

Mensa is often considered a personal status symbol; despite the actual benefits of membership most people look at the members as very snobby. Suprisingly, very few that i've encountered actually are, most of them are simply unable to function 100% in society. Common sense seems in direct disproportion to IQ :)

pnw

18. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

alright then. so did you take a "legit" test? thats often subjective but if youve taken thier test and got that high... then rock it.

cool then... dont create to much heat with that brilliantly working brain of yours!

19. 3777 macrumors 6502

Anyone saying they have an IQ of 200..... or even 170..... is absolutely full of crap. My IQ is 139 and last time I checked that was high enough for Mensa.:mad: I don't think the scale even goes above 160:rolleyes: 200....yhea ok:rolleyes:

20. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah i hear... its hard to gauge IQs that high i guess.

ive heard the highest ever recorded (if it was recorded at all) was 220?

person died early in life.

someone else had 210... same thing... died early in life.

brain cant take it.

so i hear! i could be wrong.

lol

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just to see, I just finished taking the Mensa workout, a practice self-test, not a real IQ or Mensa admissions test. I got 27 out of 30 in a half hour, so they say I might qualify for Mensa. I do well on math, logic, and pattern-matching. I don't do as well on word scrambles.

As we all know, the smartest people are Mac users.

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Last time I took an IQ test I kind of screwed around with it not very serious and no real brain work out prior I scored 125 which even though isn't Mensa is still pretty good and I know I could do better.

I believe I am correct in saying that the average IQ ranges from 95-110. Even though the average is always in fluctuation and under great debate it is always somewhere around 100.

23. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

actually that's what i had in mind when i started this thread... more creative individuals who are open to new things, it stands to reason that many Mac users are more intelligent. i realize that sounds like an ignorant slam on PC users, but we're talking about the 5% of the people who refuse to follow the mainstream in favor of a better option.

FYI, i took the mensa workout and got a solid maybe, and my partner took it and got a "probably not, but try anyway". we both got in. i wish they actually gave me my IQ when i took the test, but they refused (they would simply accept or decline you). I'd love to know which one of us is 'smarter'. :D

i put smarter in quotes because IQ isn't really smarts, it's simply a ratio of your mental age vs. your physical age. a lot of people interpret this in different ways :)

the person with the highest IQ on record that's currently alive is a woman named Marilyn Vos Savant (no joke), she does an article for Parade magazine where she takes questions. She's married to the man who invented the artificial heart. Kind of interesting trivia.

krossfyter, i've heard the 220 thing as well, i don't know if it's true. Anything above 165 or so is pure estimation, since we don't know enough about how the brain works, but there are individuals who are indeed far beyond it. i kind of wonder if an estimated 220 might be the result of a brain abnormality or tumor of some sort...

hmm, a netsearch reveals an MSNBC article about Marilyn... claims her IQ is 228. I find it hard to believe they can pinpoint it so specifically, but she's in the guinness book, so perhaps they've made advances since i read up on it...

also, as far as averages go... the average is *technically* 100, one year of mental age for one year of physical. The reason it's debated is because, while that doesn't change, the methods for measuring it accurately do, so it's the test itself that's at fault. the scale is supposed to constantly change to adjust to 100, but it doesn't, and then it gets out of date. they need a real-time network of scores, but surprisingly they haven't accomplished this yet...

pnw

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Or maybe we just can't comprehend the measurement of such a superior mind because of our lacking mental fortitude.;)

25. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I think 139 MIGHT be high enough. It's top 2%.. so it's like 135-140. But regardless... that means people are higher than 140...

And yes the scale goes higher than 160... you dumb 139er.