MacRumors needs an automated Happy Birthday message.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Flying Llama, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

MacRumors needs an automated Happy Birthday message either as a private message or by E-Mail (or both). It might not sound like much, but hey all the other forums I frequent have it, and it gives a "nicer warmier cozy" feeling. What do y'all think?
    (As a side note, it's my birthday today :) )

2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think it's a cool idea, especially because mine is coming up in one short month. ;) It definitely would add to the great "community feeling" we have here, which MacRumors should be proud of. :cool:

4. jmufellow macrumors regular

I don't like it. Automated messages are inherently cold. I got one from pokerroom.com the other day for my birthday...I really felt loved:rolleyes:. I'd just say if it's your birthday announce it on in the community section, then you get responses from real, warm, living people. and if you wanted to, you could stick a sword in their guts and watch all that warm blood spurt out everywhere.

Apologies, I just watched Kill Bill...I think it's the bloodiest movie I've ever seen

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, perhaps I'll just shamelessly plug my birthday on the big day and start my own thread in the Community section instead... I have no shame... :eek: ;)

6. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

7. jmufellow macrumors regular

Point well taken...probably not a lot of people will flaunt their own birthday.

:edit: or we could have some sort of automated thread that announces birthdays...then people can respond with their good will

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I usually try to check the bottom of the forums most days to see who has a birthday but find I miss people quite often. Is there anyway to see who has a birthday and their 'tar so they're more easily recognisable. I'm not saying that we need the 'tars at the bottom of the forum index page, but is there another page where I can view these side-by-side? :)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm lukewarm about it... as long as we can turn it off on an individual basis if desired.

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

And frontpage announcements!

Announcing:

MacBirthdays
    birthdays you care about (or not)

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Well it is my birthday tomorrow! Ahem. But it's the personal greetings that make it special, not a piece of automated spam.

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Mad Jew sent me a personal Happy Birthday message the other day! ...the 6th! But, only after I shamelessly asked if there were any other birthday wishes to go out that day! :D Thanks, mad...

BTW MacNN and Ubuntu sent me automated birthday messages...

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Exactly... I was v chuffed to get a few birthday PMs from a few members. Made me smile :)

On the few occasions that I remember to look at the birthdays, there's never anyone there I know. It might be nice, although I'm not sure the functionality is built in, to be able to set reminders for your 'buddy' list birthdays so you were more likely to send a personal message.

14. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

This seems like the best way to do it. Automated messages can seem a bit cold and 'Happy Birthday' threads are irritating, but if you were reminded of your buddies' birthdays then you could easily send a pm, and people would feel loved. :)

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds like a good idea, although, a birthday pm/e-mail sent by a person instead of a machine has much more meaning attached to it.

That said, Happy Birthday Flying Llama!!! :)

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That seems reasonable, although to me, happy birthday threads aren't that bad, except that people get left out because no one realizes it's their birthday.

What would we rather have? OMG FR33 IpOd!!!11111oneoneone threads? Or OMG H4PPY B1RTHD4Y!!!!1111oneoneoneone threads? :D

17. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Not a PM or E-mail. Perhaps just a small box at the bottom of the front page saying "Birthdays Today", that you could choose to view or not. That said, Happy Birthday - and I'll expect a return in July. :D

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We should send an e-mail. MacNN does and they're barely friendly there at all.

If we don't get a response from the e-mail, we can delete the member's account to make room for others who are active, right? :eek: See what your idea may cost you? :D

Happy birthday to you...all. ;)

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, we already have that at the bottom of the main Forum page.... :cool:

Edit: Stupid crappy windows screen capture utility. Blast it, why do I have to use this PC at work, things are so much easier to do on my Mac at home... ;) :cool:

Attached Files:

20. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

when i saw this post i was like hmmm...
    how weird, today just happens to be my birthday :D

21. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Remember my sig kids, its my b-day in 19 days....

:D

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't think its neccissary, but would be a small nice touch if implemented.

23. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Wow - you know I never saw that there! Still, it would be more prominent on the main page off to the right.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, it's there. ;) As you say though something more predominant would assist in visibility. However, I think perhaps the most appropriate place for it, when all is said and done, is where it currently is, on the main Forums page. People just coming to MacRumors for the news, etc., could probably care less in some respects about birthdays, whereas people going through the Forums are probably more interested in that type of thing. :)

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

As long as it's implemented some time, early January. ::cough, cough::