MacRumors NEEDS better servers!!!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by 36183, Apr 24, 2005.

1. 36183 Guest

honesly i dont visit this site much, but in the past 3 weeks i have seen the forums of this site go down twice.

i think the admins should consider buying some more server power it is clear that what they have at the moment is not good enough.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

MR just got a server upgrade. If you want to pay for more feel free to paypal Arn the money :rolleyes:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It seems a little bogged down tonight but at times I've seen everything running smoothly with far more users incl. lurkers.

Strange. :confused:

4. 36183 thread starter Guest

if you have a iTMS link i will buy a song using it, ot if there is a ad on this site i will click on it.

if you guys started providing services such as macosx.com then i might donate.

by the way if you got new servers why is the site STILL!!! going down?

5. 36183 thread starter Guest

tiger is coming out soon, torrents have been flying around everywhere, and people are posting aboutgetting early copied.

i wonder why there are moe people lurking this site :rolleyes:

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The servers just went down for me, but I don't care. They are up now!!! :p

If you guys offered some sort of subscription I would probably pay for it...

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My thoughts exactly.

bobx2001 - Quit moaning. MR is not the commercial whore other sites have become. Servers cost money, the bandwidth this place costs money (and it uses a LOT). It's not a simple as have people click a few ads, and bam, a nice new cluster! Your concerns are valid, but you make it sound like it's a piece of cake to put right, when in a little place called reality it's far from it.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Aaah... the irony... just got a "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."-message trying to enter this thread... :D

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I believe a new process is in the works ;)

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

When the site gets hosted on Dual Core PowerMac G5s with 3 GHz with 8 GB RAM, then the site will be faster.

11. 36183 thread starter Guest

how about you guys charge for people to have avatars? better than being forced to have 500!!! posts.

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Maybe some anti-lurker measures should be considered :)

Attached Files:

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That would really be a couple/few dual core AMD Opteron Servers...

---

And bobx2001 don't click on the Google ads to help out, Google is starting to go after sites for click-fraud.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, maybe. Perhaps disabling their ability to use the search. Registered users only. Searching puts a huge load on the server.

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Holy smokes that is alot of people!!!

Hopefully MR can get a new cluster of one or two hundred new Xserves... :p

16. 36183 thread starter Guest

forcing members to sing up will just mean people stop visiting. or a huge number of idle account will be made. these forums have some great disucssions that people should be allowed to read without singing up.

17. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

There was an apache problem earlier today.

things should be smoother now.

arn

18. 36183 thread starter Guest

give people good reason to sing up, dont force them. that is what seperates MR form spymac.

19. 36183 thread starter Guest

that is good to hear :)

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Didn't mean to exclude them totally, but to cut them off from some features, like edesignuk suggested with the search-function and/or maybe limit/cut off their access to certain forums...

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

thanks for updating us arn, i did have a lot of connectivity probs earlier today. must say i do like the idea of limiting the search to reg users only... for whatever my vote counts :)

22. 36183 thread starter Guest

or how about free weekly mac os x tips emailed to all MR members. that would make me want to sign up if i was not a member.

23. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

a little more info...

Apache was running very slowly earlier today when I posted the link into the Mac OS X forums. The load wasn't actually very high on the server at the time. I think I narrowed down the problem to an oversized log file.

After that, I had to restart apache... and it caused some connection issues on the forum.

Right now, everything seems to be running smoothly with >1000 people on the forums. Let me notice if you have more problems... but for now, I think we're ok.

arn

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't think so. :rolleyes:

How about contributing because it's a great site and you want to see it get even better?

Honestly, I'll be really interested when the contributor scheme is resurrected, just exactly how many people who said they were going to pay up actually do...

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Exactly. Still full access to browse the forums, just disable the search. I've seen quite a few other sites do it. Arguably searches put the heaviest load on forum software & their servers. Stop all the passers by from searching *could* help significantly, whilst at the same time allowing them full access to browse everything.