macrumors newbs vs real members

Discussion in 'Community' started by mnkeybsness, Mar 18, 2003.

1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

is anyone getting sick of the vast amounts of newbies around the forums?

just for an example...read the flamewar on this thread

sure some of them have some great insight, but i think too many of them may be coming over from *other* forums which are in less high regards as macrumors was at one time.

just a suggestion, and i know some people will complain and some will back me up on this, but i would like to see a 6502 and higher member level forums section!

discuss

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems a lot of the veteran members have been the ones generating a significant amount of Spam and Flames the past couple months.

Quite a few Site News posts recently to back that up.

The newbies that do go chaotic -- take themselves out rather quick -- if they're reported.

Some of those come back and do quite well, after their posting vacation ends.

3. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

As a recent "newbie" I feel obliged to observe that most of the "smack" in that thread was between a veteran and a guest.

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I'm a newbie

I guess you could say it may be frustrating for you to see newbie's posting wild replies because you have been here a while. However everybody has to start somewhere. I enjoy reading what other people have to say even though it may at times (or most of the time) be very weird. But again it is their opinions.

I see that you are at the Univ. of Minn. I think you would agree with me when I say that college teaches you to critique other peoples opinions and respect them even though you may think it is ignorant. And it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if you started a private forum (it's a free world), however I like to see what everybody has to say because you guys have lots of good tips and views. I've learned a lot from the software and hardware discussions and hope to learn more. Thanks guys and gals!

5. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Pretty dang level-headed and thoughtful, for a "newbie".

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Hey poeple come down

There is a common factor around this:

I think iJon is on one of those days, you know what I mean.:rolleyes:

7. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Re: macrumors newbs vs real members

jeez. i thought 'tude like that was the copywritten property of the political forums regulars.:rolleyes:

it does take some time to get accustomed to the decorum here. i'm still learning the rules myself. this place is really unlike the other message boards i have seen. flamewars are the exception here; the rule at others (like the UCB board i tried to participate in). the mods have done a great job of projecting a classy image and a respectful aptmosphere that you understand the more time you spend here. Hopefully, those of us who stick around long enough to get new monicers can keep projecting that image.

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

It was bound to happen, I joined at #20** something and it was supercool back then. Don't get me wrong its fun now but no what it used to be.

9. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Surely the point of having open forums is for them to be "open" - we all start somewhere.

10. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Wow..Can everyone say, elitist?:eek:

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think this would be a very bad idea (at the very least as I could not post there!) How do you expect these people to learn if those who are (in yout view at least) more moderate and thoughtfull with their postings go off to a section of the board where they cannot participate and learn by your good example. If all of the long time posters demostrate how to behave, and perhaps dish out fair and non-flaming repremands, then those who you allege are dragging us all down will alter their ways. If theirs posts are really all that bad should the moderators not be deleting them/banning these users?

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Very good idea. Of course, whose to say that there wouldn't be flames in those threads...

We need people who could flame like Alpha Tech. He could pinpoint his flame with deadly precision and accuracy, and anybody who stood him up was quickly castrated by his all-knowing posts...

Those days were fun... :cool:

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

By adding another forum for 6502 and higher is only further incentive to spamming and upping post count. If the forum were to be created imagine all the extra posts we'd be seeing, spurious, spam, one liners, useless....

I don't think it should happen.

Just remember to report the offensive posts and a mod will come in and take care of it.

And if you want to be part of a group, contribute and be a demi-god. :D

Thanks,

D

14. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Alphatech

we shouldn't be honouring Alphatech now that he's no longer here - his flames were frequently a first response before he'd even followed links that people posted. I ended up in numerous arguments with him just because he hadn't read what I'd said properly.

Macrumors without Alphatech is a much better place IMO.

That said, there are often a lot of ignorant posts by newbies, but we shouldn't start to think that a newbie equates to a troll.

I, for one, read this site for a couple of years before I joined as a posting-member, and I'm sure there must be a lot of newbies around who are long-time visitors to the site.

15. tcolling macrumors member

I'm a newbie

Just so you all know, I'm a newbie. However, I have been reading Macrumors for a long time, I'm guessing over a year. I check out the forums on a nearly daily basis.

However, I don't generally respond unless I can offer something either insightful or at least an attempt at reasonable wit.

I wonder how many of us "newbies" are newbies only because we don't place "wow, I'd like that, too", or "I wish Apple would...", or "yea, I got the first post" posts.

Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those posts, because that's what discussion is, and it seems as though most of the forums on this site are closer to conversations than many, which is a good thing.

All I'm saying is don't discount all newbies as not knowing what they're talking about just because we haven't placed many posts. If Steve or Woz joined today, wouldn't they, after all, be newbies?

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Maturity and age do not indicate member status. If someone is going to be an idiot from the start, when they're newbies, they don't get far. There are far fewer members, regulars and above who cause problems, but there are still exceptions from time to time.

I was a newbie, and even arn was a newbie, once. So don't use the label 'newbie' to equate troll or flamer.

D

17. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

if steve and woz joined, i think they would be flamed, constantly, without rebuke.

it must be great for celebrities to go on the internet and pretend to be other people. normal people. stuff they can't do in the street.

18. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

A message board with much better "n00b-proof" features can be found here: http://www.tweakers.net/

Although the site is in Dutch I think you can all see how the users can moderate eachother by casting "mod-points" on the various posts. This quickly eliminates nonsense posts, since the default viewing level of the posts is 0, so if your post gets modded down to -1 it won't even show up for the readers unless they choose to view all posts.

-Dr. D.

19. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I think there are plenty of worthless threads and posts by long time members so an elite section would just create two sections both with lots of worthless threads and posts.

Kind of like this one. It is getting to the point where I don't have time to read the entire board, just the main page.

20. Flickta macrumors 6502

And how did they get their 6502 or higher status?
    By just unlimited posting?
    ;)

21. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Flames sometimes are funny, I lough when people get pissed:D

The only solution I see is to temporally ban the person, but forget about it, that would make Arn to be here all the time and now that he has a wife, less probable.:rolleyes:

BTW that is Apples faul for suiting our sources, no good romors any more, just simple speculations.:mad:

22. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

You deserve to have your avatar revoked for gob ****e like this, then you'd have a job flapping yer "I'm a class snob" flag all over the shop.

Like WWIII when everyone gets a free fallout shelter, except those in employment of the state who get additional power shower and fitted wool carpeting options. Actually, I prefer the chrome to the brass effect door fittings.

23. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Yes, Steve would get flamed. But who would flame the Woz. The Woz is respected by all computer users. PC, Mac, Linux whatever.

24. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Why can't we all just get along? Sometimes a conflict can be invented merely by pointing out differences between two people (or things). Apple computers are different from wintel junk (thankfully), so aren't we having enough fun making humor out of peecee's and their inept thinking and vain user following? See what I mean! You've got me doing it too! Flame the day away is what woz might say! Maybe we could get apple to include a program like "iFlame", a yet undeveloped chat room and message board autoflaming app with spamondemand functions! That way, we american thinking newbies could feel up to the task of replying to silly stuff as well.

25. tcolling macrumors member

Man, do I get pissed when people misspell words :D