Macrumors Nike+iPod Running Club

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by liketom, Oct 17, 2006.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Hello all ,

How about joining our Macrumors running club, we can add upto 50 users to compete with each other:

Some of the challenges we can do is : most mile in set time ie 4 weeks ect. most distance and fastest run's:cool:

all you need is :

iPod Nano
    iPod+Nike sensor

(armband and nike shoes for the full kit but other brands will do ok)

if you fancy a run , just PM me your e-mail and i'll add you to the challenge

Macrumors Nike+iPod Challenge: 30 day event
    Start's 20/10/06 12:00AM

Runners so far:

Liketom
    Lau
    mouchoir
    livingfortoday
    crdean1

t1937r0

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Don't start this week! The Chicago Marathon's on Sunday, so those people will win by distance!

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

this is really cool, but no nano for me. :( good luck everyone! i can see this being a good way for geeks to be inspired to run!

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I would join, but I dont want to be the laughing stock

lmao

5. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

do not worry i'm just getting started as well - we can all run bad togther:D

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Great idea! Hopefully this will encourage a few people to get out and do some running.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i really wish this thing worked with the regular pods. blah

8. Lau Guest

Nice one — I'm in. :D

I am completely rubbish though, so if anyone wants to look good they can sign up and see me below them on the stats. :p

9. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a race to the bottom of the list. Lets see who wins! Wow, what motivation!

10. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

Ok so we are off to a start :)

come on Peeps 47 more slots , i think we will have to post the leader boards as we go on :cool:

11. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Yay! Count me in. I will certainly challenge for the bottom place :p

I'll pm you my email address.

12. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I would like to be a part of this...it will be more motivating for me to run. Let me know what I need to do.

Thanks.

Edit: for those who don't use the nike + shoes, what do you do? (velcro?)

13. Lau Guest

If you PM liketom the email address you signed up to Nike with, you're good to go.

I made a little pouch out of elastic and an old t-shirt to hold the sensor (I wrapped it in plastic first) like so:

attachment-2.jpeg

and modified a wristband I had with some vinyl like so (after seeing these):

attachment-3.jpeg

It seems to do the trick. The shoe pouch looks great, but I think the sweatband would be better off black (I had the insane stripy one kicking around already). If I do well in the challenge, maybe I'll treat myself to a black one. ;) If anyone would like instructions, I'd happily draw some out. :) Also, Flowbee (who posted earlier in the thread) has some great suggestions on his site which is linked in his signature.

14. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Lau, thanks so much. I will see if my wife can help me make a shoe sensor holder thing. She's pretty good at that stuff.

I appreciate it.

Edit: Saw this thing, only $10.00. I think I'll give it a try.

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

16. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

17. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Thanks Flowbee and Lau for the options. And Flowbee, thanks for the link to the running tips. I stay in pretty good shape cycling over 100 miles a week, and stay very hydrated, but every time I start running distances (more than a mile or two), I get shin splints pretty bad. I think I will start slow this time and follow your chart...we'll see what happens. Count me in at the bottom of the bunch as well.

18. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

crdean1 you still need to accept the challenge :)

100 Miles on your bike a! :eek: lot of miles

19. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I think, after a little research, I have to have a run or two registered before I can accept the challenge. I have tried to accept, but I can't even view it (and I didn't see and accept option on the email). I'll try again tonight after I sync my first run.

About the cycling, don't let it fool you, it's really not that much considering professional cyclists ride that much in the mountains daily. Ha. My route is flat and easy. Hopefully this running thing will be a good supplement to biking...I usually gain about 30 lbs. every winter because I can't ride my bike (dark before and after work). I'd like to break that weight fluxuation trend, and this will be some good motivation.

20. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

if you pop your pod to workout basic and just run or walk around the room it will register as a run - then sync to your Mac it will upload the data to the nike website and your off :)

As long as your ready for the start on friday:D

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

make sure to stretch afterwards! that can help ease the soreness and definitely will help prevent injury

22. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I've wanted to get into running.. tried it for a week or so and then pooped out. Maybe this would be a good motiviation, to see what others are doing at the same time.

What headphones do you guys use when running? Last time I tried, they kept falling out (was using some Sony ear buds). Also, do you guys run indoors or outdoors?

23. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

There are earbuds designed for running. It's usually earbuds with a hook that wraps around your ears, and a wire clip you attach to your shirt so the wires don't pull down on your earbuds. Makes a big difference.

24. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The Sennheiser PX-100s are still my favorite. I've never liked having anything in my ear or clipped onto my ear when running.

25. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

My first run (or walk around the room). See if you can beat that!

I'm in, let me know if you see any problems with my confirmation. Thanks for your help in getting me started (i truly am an idiot).

Attached Files: