Macrumors Pop-Under Ad?

Discussion in 'Site News' started by sturm375, Aug 9, 2002.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Did anyone else get a Pop-Under ad when going to Macrumors.com today? I personally don't like them. I fully support advertisement on the site itself, however, I don't like windows being opened by someone else on my computer.

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It seems to be a random event - you don't get one every time. You'd have to talk to arn to find out the specifics.

D

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

its a shame because I have pop-up adds (well, non requested ones) but I suppose macRumors has to keep afloat someway :)

Ensign

4. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

what pop up ads? Wait, I use mozilla, I wouldn't know if there was one or not.. lol

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm using Mozilla, but I sometimes get those pop-up ads. How do you turn them off?

I tried searching help, but I didn't get any luck.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There's a couple of other ones, besides just Snagit...

I didn't feel like bringing it up, but since someone else did, what's the deal, arn?

Do the pop-up/under ads pay more?

7. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Go into Preferences, expand the Advanced section, and click on the Scripts & Windows section. Then uncheck the "Open unrequested windows" checkbox.

I believe Arn stated somewhere else that he didn't know this ad service used pop up/under ads until they started showing up.

The strangest thing about the ad pictured is that it's a Windows-only program... :rolleyes:

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The deal with popups

MacRumors has undergone a bit of a revamp this past 2 weeks.

New server provider, new ad networks etc... to bring costs under control, and it's worked...

the unfortunate side effect is that some of the ads do run pop-behinds's. I'd prefer this not to be the case, but it's a relatively random and not too-frequent occurance... and so I've let it slide...

I'd love to offer 100% Mac-oriented advertising, but the market isn't there.

I'm looking into a no-ads contributers page at the very least.

arn

9. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: The deal with popups

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I fully understand that web-sites (especially really good ones like yours) cost money, and I am glad you've found people to advertise on your site. I wish you luck in finding a solution we all like.

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: The deal with popups

... and thanks for the understanding. I personally very much dislike pop-up ads as well... but we have to be realistic about it all as well.

arn

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Preferences / Scripts & Plugins / Open Unrequested Windows

Seems to work for most of the pop under ads right now, but I'm getting nailed every time at NY Times site.

12. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Chimera wipes out the banners, too. FYI

Banner ads are okay to me as long as they pop up from the back...the front ones just get irritating...

13. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

hm. i tried out nytimes.com but no ads for me. looking at my prefs the only scripts i allow are the last three (images cookies). make sure your prefs are set correctly.

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

Got it, SB.

The really annoying thing about pop-ups is when I go to some mp3 site, or get directed there, I get about a half a dozen ads poping up. Sometimes that can crash my browser, which gets me so ƒ!!king angry. :mad:^2

I'll probably try Chimera when the final version is released. That's what I did with a great browser with lots of speed and an OS X version. I think it was called Mozilla. :p :D

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I hadn't check in a week or two, but no adds today.

But there were some new cookies they were trying to DL for a BofA ad, so the Orbitz ad run may have ended.

16. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

I guess it somthing we have to live with.

-GaBe-

17. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I understand that macrumors needs to keep afloat, i also understand that i will be checking out chimera and mozilla.

I hate pop-up ads, necessary or not. I would be in favor of a members-only, no pop-up feature).