MacRumors, Pop-Ups and Ads

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Sep 28, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    I received the following email today:

I am a new convert from Micro$oft to the Mac, and do not find it in good
    taste to visit your site and look at Micro$oft adverts and windows pop-ups.
    I wonder how other people feel about it? Maybe we should ask them as well?

I'm with you on the non-Mac ads and pop-ups.

We're working to switch to all Mac-ads if possible... The other advertising is necessary to keep MacRumors comfortably running, with the ability to add servers as necessary. MacRumors was losing money for 2 years straight. If the ads bother you, then you are welcome to donate ( for the ad-free version of the front page (

Otherwise this service requires a dedicated server and close to 300 gigs of bandwidth to maintain monthly... and will probably need to add a second dedicated server in the coming months. This comes at a cost. If that requires some non-Mac ads and pop ups to appear, I think most people don't mind, or will pay the $20 donation for an ad-free front page.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I for one have no problem with any adds, surley anyone with half a brain must realise that to keep a site as popular as this up and running costs $$$, and so any source of income is a welcome one, whatever it advertises.
    If you don't like the popups use Chimera or Mozilla and use their built it popup blockers. :rolleyes:
    But for god sake, don't start bitchin' about arn trying to keep the site alive by running adds.
  3. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    the ads are ok, I have no probs with the ads, Chimera blocks pop-ups and the other ads don't bother me

its actually cool seeing some ads, they guys that run it are super cool
  4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    come on... it's

one of the guys is cool the other is a little well....... he likes very young girls :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)