MacRumors Recipe Clearinghouse

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thedude110, Dec 29, 2005.

1. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Thought it might be nice to have a space to gather/share the good things we're cooking.

Got this from a friend and made it tonight for myself and the woman -- so good! Didn't use the whole "quart of oil," though ...

Spicy Catfish
    INGREDIENTS:
    * 2 Medium size catfish fillets
    * 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
    * 1/2 cup corn flour
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 1 quart oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Dust fish fillets moderately with cayenne pepper, and gently tumble together to create an even coat.
    2. Heat oil to medium high heat. Place enough corn flour to bread your catfish on a bowl or plate, and season with salt and black pepper.
    3. Place catfish fillets into seasoned corn flour, and tumble until evenly coated. Fry in hot oil for about 3 minutes, or until done. Fish should be golden brown, slightly crisp outside, and moist and flaky inside when done.

:)

2. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

Hmm. So, maybe nobody else is interested in this thread? I'll let it die its death, but first, you've gotta try this Mahi Mahi I made tonight ...

Ingredients
    • 2 Half Pound Mahi Mahi Fillets
    • 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
    • 2 Tablesppons Balsalmic Vinegar
    • 1 Teaspoon Sugar
    • 2 Cloves Garlic
    • 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
    • Some Ginger Preserves: chivers.jpg (so good)

Directions
    1. Lightly spread ginger preserves over each fillet. Place fillets in a shallow bowl, and cover both with Soy Sauce and Balsalmic Vinegar. Coat both fillets with sugar and diced garlic. Marinate 20 minutes.
    2. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add fillets (put marinade aside) and cook fillets 3-4 minutes on each side. Once fillets are cooked (gray/white, flaky and moist), remove from pan and keep warm. Pour marinade into pan and heat, then pour the marinade (now a glaze) over fillets and serve.

Made it with carrots and a cranberry pecan bread. Pretty good.

Ooh. And the Ginger Preserves. So good.

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I love the idea of a recipe thread, seeing as I love cooking.
    Here's a quick recipe for chocolate truffles that always seem to get devoured in 2 seconds flat:

1 pkt crushed Marie (plain) biscuits
    1 cup desiccated coconut
    1 tin sweetened condensed milk
    2 tbls cocoa powder
    splash of vanilla essence
    1 tsp of instant coffee powder dissolved in a bit of water (optional)

It's as easy as mixing the dry ingredients together, then adding the liquid ones. Give it all a good stir and then roll into small balls and roll in coconut. You can let them set in the fridge for a while if you want. They taste great and are an easy thing to take to a party etc

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Sounds interesting, but what is Mahi Mahi exactly, i've never heard of it?
    And I agree with you on ginger preserves, though I love anything with ginger in it.

5. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

Kinda Tunaish, but with a Swordfishy texture. And sweeter.

And so good.

Wikipedia has all you could want to know about the eating habits of the Mahi Mahi I just ate ...

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Interesting, I've never seen it in any shops. I'll have to have a look around for it.