Macrumors recipies

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Dec 8, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

In case you haen't noticed, there have been a few food-related threads lately (mostly started by me) and every once in awhile, a home recipe was posted.

Let's see how many we can get if we concentrate it all on one thread.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Insert bread into toaster, apply butter and marmite....my favorite! And about my limit when it comes to cooking ;) :eek:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Recipe Ideas

I'll stay out of the recipe idea business this time around, last time I put forth a recipe idea - the response was.

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Oh, so British ;)

No offense: I'm British too.

Works great if you replace the butter with melted cheedar. The recipe's a bit more complicated but still a no-brainer:
    Put bread in toaster. Cut cheedar. Put cheedar on toast and insert into grill. Melt cheese and apply marmite. Yummy!!!

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Recipe Ideas

This and the toast responses are pretty much what happened last time (one I started) - I think AlphaTech and I were the largest contributors to that thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=5452

My question is, has anyone ever used the web to find recipes to make something. My wife and I use it quite frequently ourselves.

D

6. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Re: Re: Re: Recipe Ideas

Given my allergy to kitchens, I'm more likely to use the web to find a good restaurant... But members of my family have been known to use web-recipes.

Than again I might use the web for very specific needs, like how to fix a given cocktail :D

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

OMG! - I just went there and checked out the Iron Chef link (one of the best shows on the channel) and its absolutely hysterical - Throw Your Own Iron Chef Party!!! HAHAHA! Now who could you get to play the Chairman?!?:D

D

Attached Files:

8. bombensington macrumors regular

don't forget the yellow bell pepper. a definite must-have for any chairman.

i looked up the "chairman" one day - he is just an actor - he has been a soap opera star in japan. funny.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

not surprising in the least - but what had me and my wife laughing outloud was what he says at the beginning of the show to start the chefs off - Allez Cuisine!

His accent is so terrible is just sounds like something else in Japanese - when I read it at the bottom of the intro paragraph I almost died - and unless you've actually seen the show, you really can't appreciate this - but it is entertainment.

:D

D

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    insert beer in to refrigerator. wait 2 hours. remove, open and drink.

for quicker cooking, insert beer in to equal amounts of water and ice. spin. wait 10 minutes, open beer, drink.

11. bombensington macrumors regular

quick and easy, and yummy to boot:

taco ring

1/2 lb hamburger
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    1 or 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack, add more if you like, whatever your fancy)
    2 tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
    1 tablespoon water

brown meat, drain. into bowl, add meat, cheese, taco seasoning, and water. set aside.

on pan (i use a stoneware pizza pan), arrange crescent rolls - unwrap each roll, and arrange in a circular shape - the pointy end should be on the outside of the circle. think sun shaped. keep doing this until you've used all the crescent rolls - they will overlap each other.

add the meat/cheese mixture to the crescent rolls. i use an ice cream scoop, much easier. dont be afraid to get your hands messy on this.

fold the pointy end of the rolls over the meat mixture, towards the center of the circle. you should have a big hole in the middle of the circle.

bake at 350 F for 15 min or so - just until the crescents are cooked and golden brown.

serve with salsa, sour cream, whatever.

cheap, easy, and yummy. my 3 favorite adjectives all in one dish.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Best way to prepare Ramen noodles:

Put a good amount of water into pot (who measures :rolleyes: ;) :D )

put the pot on the stove and put it on high

Put the 2 big pieces of noodles into the water once it reaches a boil

Pour the little bits that stay at the bottom of the package into the pot

wait

wait some more

test the noodles with a fork to see how cooked they are

wait

wait again

turn off the stove when they noodles are almost perfect

put both of the packages of seasoning into the water

stir

stir some more

get out a strainer

strain the noodles

put noodles into a bowl

enjoy

enjoy some more

repeat

get full

repeat again

and again..... and again..... and again...... etc...... etc...... etc...........

If you put the seasoning in the water and then strain the noodles
    then it makes the noodles soak in the seasoning, and it is soooooooooo
    good. I LOVE RAMEN :D:D:D.

13. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I've got a good rasin bread that my mom makes every year.

3 cup milk
    1 cup shortning
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    2 tsp salt
    2 yeast cake
    1tbs, 1tsp & 1/2 tsp sugar (for yeast)
    3 egg well beaten
    2 tsp lemon rind
    3 cuip rasins
    4 cup flour

Heat milk, add shortning,, sugar and salt. Dissolve yeast cake in 1/2 cup lukewarm water and add sugar and 4 1/2 cup flour. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour. Add eggs, lemon rind, and rasins and enough flour to make a firm dough. Knead until smooth and elastic to touch. Cover and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk.
    Knead again. Form into 3 loafs and put into greased baking pan. Cover and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk. Bake in mderate oven.

350 F for 50-60 mins

If there are any discrepancies between the ingredients in the list and the ingredents in the instructions, then go with the instructions. I took this right off the card that my mom has with the recipie.

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

If you do that, your Ramen will be sooooooooo salty :p

But that's ok, I've done it to. What's your favorite Ramen flavor? I like creamy chicken, but also chicken mushroom... I've also had to make Ramen on backpacking trips. You just can't mess it up!

My mom makes these gooey biscuits, but I'm not quite sure of the recipe. It's 2 containers of those biscuits (not the grands, but the normal 10ct ones... You put raisins at the bottom of a pan, and cinnamon, and then lay out the biscuits. The pan has to be one where the biscuits fit tightly and the pan has to have walls. My mom uses this glass thing... You then melt some brown sugar and butter and vanilla (the secret ingredient) and pour it over the biscuits. Bake the biscuits. Enjoy :D

Of course, my normal breakfast routine is something like this:
    Get pop-tarts
    Open package
    Place pop-tarts in toaster
    Toast pop-tarts
    Remove pop-tarts from toaster
    Eat pop-tarts.

15. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Hey duke, I just tried your potato recipe and it was pretty good.[​IMG]

I think I put a bit too much rosemary on it though, (had some growing outside, away from there the dogs piss) but other than that it was alright.

Not quite ready to give up on fries yet, maybe I should combine your recipe with some steak fries next time.[​IMG]

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

See if this inspires a few recipes, though I'd side with Judge #3

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, great - did you get the potatoes nice and brown on the edges and slightly crispy? I think for me knowing that they are much more healthy than fries makes them even better, but if you serve them with any kind of grilled food, it goes well.

D

18. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Now that you mention it, some were a bit undercooked I think. (actually my mom cooked them along with porkchops we had for dinner) about half were nice and crispy and the other half were a bit soft, it's an old oven.

Next time I'll cook them for a bit longer and less rosemary and see how it all turns out.

Oh, and where's that popcorn recipe you mentioned earlier?
    It seemed to cause quite a bit of commotion or at least that's the impression I got from the other thread.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Hard question. It depends what mood I am in.

Excited/nervous/anticipating - hot chili :::yumsky::::

blah mood - beef

happy/hyper - oriental (I love oriental flavored)

sad/(blah * 2) - chicken or creamy chicken, maybe beef

Tired and wanting to wake up - hot chilli

Tired and wanting to sleep - creamy chicken

weird/odd - A MIX! A mix can be very good. But don't try to get 6 diff
    flavors into one, because that can be very gross. Well, not gross,
    but as gross as ramen noodles get. And hot chilli doesn't mix well.

Indifferent to everything/no mood - beef usually, but basically any
    flavor........ I am indifferent towards which is best when I'm in this
    mood :D.

Usually my favorite is oriental, but I really like beef sometimes,
    and I really like spicy chilli sometimes. In all truth I love them all
    sooooooooooo much, so it is hard to compare them. But I am
    very experienced when it comes to Ramen. ;)

Wow, that got me in a ramen mood. Im gunna go make me an
    oriental package. Just 1 since I alread ate ;) :D.

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Okay, I finished my last post saying how I was going to make
    oriental ramen noodles. I just finished doing so. But I did something
    to make them better! I cut up a cheese stick, and put it into the noodle, and I put in a tiny piece of butter. Man did that taste good.

So, next time you make ramen. Add a tiny bit of butter and cheese.
    You will be pleased with the results. At least ur tastebuds will :D.

21. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

The protein melt.

For those who want to get buff.

Tortillas + shredded mexican mix cheese + tuna + texas pete.

Take a fryin pan, put some olive oil in there, and make yourself be buff.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thats quite simple - take a big pot, something you'd boil pasta in. Put three medium handfulls of popcorn kernels in with enough olive oil to have all the kernels coated, but you don't need to cover them. It should be about 1/4 cup or so - and use the regular extra virgin olive oil not the light stuff.

Turn the heat to high and pick up the pot and shake it around once or twice while cooking. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get things popping.

Pour contents into a paper bag or bowl (I use a bag because it makes for easy mixing) and pour salt to taste on it. Shake up the bag and then eat - it tastes great, almost buttery without the extra fat.

Additions include rosemary, thyme, pepper, powdered cheese, etc. You don't need too much spice, just a little goes a long way.

And as for the potatoes - at the end of the second 30 minutes if they're not quite crisp, put the oven on broil for a few minutes and watch carefully, that should toast them nicely. And you can put just salt on them as well, or thyme and even do a cajun or cumin spice. Garlic powder is good too. But just don't put too much olive oil on them, they shouldn't be fried in the excess oil. If you have too much after coating them, drain off the extra.

Good luck and enjoy.

D

23. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Some random recipes:

A Good Bufallo Wing Sauce:

One cup of Red Hot or any sort of tabasco.
    2 pats of low fat margarine
    a dash or two of cayenne pepper
    a dash of crushed pepper flakes

take a clove of garlic, crush it up. Mix it in.

Microwave it for 1 minute or so, stir so the margaine mixes in, and pour over a few wings.

Good stuff. and wayyyyy spicey.

Another (fattening) fave is Pasta Carbonara

basically, you buy some panchetta (italian bacon, though regular bacon works ok). Chop into small pieces, and fry it. Take some eggs and prep them as if you were making scrambled eggs.

Boil some spaghetti noodles. Strain them. Take the pot you boiled the spaghetti in, dump in the bacon or panchetta, dump the egg in, and dump the noodles on top. The heat from the hot pot and the noodles fries the eggs. Mix it up and yum a yum a yum.

One of my other faves is a lemon butter marinate on salmon steaks, wrapped in tinfoil and baked in an oven for 10-15 mins. good stuff.

A good sandwich is buffalo mozzerella, tomatoe and basil pesto ona baguette.

Also good for lunch is a salad with those lil' flavored tuna piuches--lemon butter rocks.

I have a few good recipes for salmon, spinach fritatas, shrimp (scampi. yum) and some other stuff. I'll try and dig 'em up.

We should publish all this stuff in a cookbook. i'd rather have that for deim-god status as opposed to a mug.

Arn, duke, are you listening?????

:D

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, the MacRumors Cook book? Then all the recipe names would have to be Mac Related -

your Carbonized Pasta is a standard, but I put grated parmesian reggiano and basil in mine. Some times supstituting procutto (sp?) for the bacon.

I've got a great lemon, olive and basil pasta dish, but it important to get the indredients measured correctly - I'll dig it up at home and post it. Yumm, now I'm getting hungry.

D :D