macrumors SETI

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by twoodcc, Dec 8, 2006.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

hey, not many threads about SETI around here, so i thought i would start one.

is anyone still active on SETI and here? i noticed the top guy has 10 computers running SETI!!! that's insane!:eek:

i'll never catch him. but i'm ranked 17 right now on the macrumors team. hopefully i'll keep going up

right now we're ranked 95 on SETI as a team. also, Apple computer has it's own team. is that official?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Dang, I'm only #78 on the MR team on SETI. I think it's cause I run Rosetta (no MR team), Einstein (11 on the MR team! .. out of 13), and SETI on my Mini, and fold on the Powerbook. SETI gets the least CPU time of the three, too, I'm afraid.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well it depends on how you look at the rankings. by default, it's set to 'recent average credit'. based on that, i'm now # 10, using a mac pro and macbook

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

How exactly does SETI and other distributed computing work? I mean what if I just "lose" my files that I was computing, the whole project will be ruined. And what exactly does it compute.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What would a advance civilization have to gain by contacting man? a species that just climbed out of the cave and kills each other and wars with itself over religion & the earths resources every single day. Plus why would ET use slow radio waves? makes no sense at all plus there is all kinds of proof that the pentagon is hiding its knowledge of ET from our own govt and its people. We are "suppose " to think that we are the center of the universe. The govt wants it that way.

6. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Firstly, you're "given" the files to work on, but you're given a copy of them. They're smart enough to not distribute the only information they have to total strangers and rely on them not to mess everything up, which is why all we do is just sit there and let it run its course.

The project itself is just that they point radio-telescopes all over the sky and record all of that data. To analyze that data for any unusually high or just strange signals or readouts requires an immense computing force, which is found in the folding community. We're not computing anything, persay, we're merely taking the raw data and looking for unnatural signals.

Haha, that was a good laugh, especially the center of the universe thing. The prevailing notion is that if there's life out there, chances are it's not much more advanced than we are. And if it is, the immense distance between us and even the closest star puts any signals that could be reaching us at technological levels at or around where we are. Meaning that if they're a thousand years ahead of us, but they're a hundred light years away, what they would have been transmitting a thousand years ago would just be getting to us (math may be incorrect, principle is sound). Why would they contact us? They probably wouldn't and there's a huge argument against UFOs and all that. We're transmitting signals as well as listening trying to find life, we're not finding life discretely and then determining if we want to make contact, why should they be any different than that?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Though what you say is possible and we might catch a stray signal from thousands of years ago you ought to do a little research into the UFO phenomenon. Look at the military and the police cases on file for the good cases and look at why our govt finds it so necessary to black out so much info even from 50 years ago. Fact is they are hiding more then just our own secret aircraft projects. Plenty of good solid cases on record.

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I've been using this comic a lot on the forum lately

I offer this in response:
    [​IMG]

9. Jorey3969 macrumors member

Jorey3969

there's a macrumors team, well how can I join!

10. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

11. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I have been running seti@home on my, now very slow, computer at work since 1999 ;)
    I have seen the interest decline among people here at MR. Most people seem to have gone over to folding@home...

12. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow! that's a long time.....i havne't been on this much lately...just been using my resources on other stuff i guess.

yeah, i can tell people like folding more

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I finish in December 2005 with a little over 12,000 work units under the old system.

I was just getting ready to make a cool SETI Farm starting with 10 CPUs. My concept was a hanging MB system. I planned on sharing power supplies and booting from USB flash memory devices. I had envisioned expanding my system by 10 CPUs each year until I had 50 on line. Yes, the electrical bill did concern me a bit. :eek:

Anyhow, the SETI folks changed to the system. I lost interest and haven't done anything since then with it. Maybe someday that will change.

14. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang, seems like you had some great intentions.....maybe one day you'll start working towards them...? ;)

15. 150hp macrumors regular

I just got my C2D iMac rolling on SETI. I had 4 computers going back in 99 when I was @ a University so now I just have this one @ home. So much faster of course now vs. the old G3's. Anyways, I of course had to join the MacRumors team. & was suprised to be ranked 30th already. So glad to be back searching for E.T.;)

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Finally. I finally did it. I am in the top 10 in total credit on the MR SETI team! WOOOO! Yay! I just broke in at #10!

I'm currently #1 in RAC, but I think that will drop soon as it's probably just because of their recent outage.

But still... I'm gunning for you dcappello! You're going down, my friend! 154k credit and climbing, punk!

17. Eithanius macrumors 65816

With the link below in mind, I seriously doubt it's your own effort. Get a life dude....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=286306

18. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well yes, usually I delegate the number crunching to computers, and don't sit at home spinning a little crank to crunch the WU by hand. And do you know that not a single person responded to my call for justice?! They missed the chance to be a part of my glorious SETIvolution!

19. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Call for justice...? :rolleyes:

More like a call for your glorious exploitation....

20. island macrumors 6502

island

I have to get back up with the SETI crew soon!

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dang ive been doing seti, but for a differnt team. if i switch teams ill loose my credit aye?>?? that sucks :( ive been getting a recent credit of 200ish, its still climbing as i just made another computer join the other day.

EDIT: oh wait there we go. DoFoT9 6,694.87 :):) number 19!!!!!!

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Is there something similar for Cancer or other important diseases?

I found something on cancer, but seems to be PC only.

23. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

folding@home (if that's what you're talking about) runs on macs (natively on both intel and ppc), windows, and linux.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

oh yeah, and playstation 3's can actually be used for it too now.

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Thanks! Will sign up for that. Got a PowerMac Dual G4 running 24/7 as server. Might as well contribute some CPU cycles for a good cause.

I think I broke the site when I visited it though...

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I can remember the days when a 1.33 GHz Powerbook was pretty fast.....although connecting it to seti@home has cured me of that notion.....My iMac is probably at least 5 times as fast (2.16 GHz C2D).

Nice to think I'm doing something to advance science!