MacRumors Sub-Forum Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Nov 19, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Anyone interested in any particular new sub-forums?

Now's the time to be heard...

arn

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Photography and Art. There could be all the photography threads, split into new ones every 500 replies, maybe a photo contest, who knows, people could ask questions about photography, cameras, technique, and basically just have an awesome time while talking about a topic that a great portion of Macrumors enjoys (umm, 1200+ replies to photography based threads anyone?).

The art part of the sub forum could be a venue for aspiring and/or established artists to do the same thing as in the photography sub-section ;) Just loosely based around everything not taken with a camera :)

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I wonder if, under either Mac Discussion or Mac Community, there should be a subforum for MacRumors/MacBytes/MacPolls Site Discussion and Feedback. Or three threads, one each. (There is already a Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback subforum.)

You already have Site News, but I think of Site News as a place for you (arn) to make announcements. When we talk about promoting MacRumors, or contests for new member of the quarter, or post counts and avatars, or vBulletin capabilities, or suggestions for new subforums, etc. etc. etc., there doesn't seem to be an ideal place.

Or, more simply, you could rename Site News to MacRumors/MacBytes/MacPolls Site Discussion and Feedback and make announcements in the same subforum.

That's my more than 2 cents.

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I think an art thread like Tazo suggested would be great. Many of us are involved in some capacity in a creative field. We could get feedback on app ideas/code, showcase photography and music, things like that.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'd like to see a Mods Section. Inside would be ideas and links to Hardware Mods, Software Mods, and Ideal Mods.

TEG

7. ckwm macrumors member

I like Dr Q's idea.

I think a UK issues sub-forum would be a good idea too. There was a lot of issues raised in the Panther in the UK thread that could be usefully discussed.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Re: MacRumors Sub-Forum Suggestions?

Hmmmm a Ramen noodle section....

<snaps back to reality>

I think you should change the «-- Daily Tunes --» subforum area place to the 'general art' area and have:
    • Song Recommendations
    • Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback
    • General Music Discussion
    • Art Discussion
    • Art Submission
    or something kind of like that.

scem0

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

how about a piracy section with links to warez and open serial sharing? .... haha I'm just joking but I like the forums as they are now, I have my set number I check everyday and think its about the perfect amount to read.

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i agree with everyone else who posted above me... some sort of art forum would be a good idea.

or a hobbies forum- everyone could discuss their hobbies/collections/art

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd love to see a CAD/3D modeling forum, but there's probably not enough interest to make it thrive. I like the idea of a mods/hacks/cumstomization forum though, and the employment idea is good as well, particularly since I'm lookin for work right now!

I wouldn't mind seeing an AppleScript forum either, mostly because I'm not at all proficient in coding actual software, but would like to see some of the cool scripts others have developed as a way to start learning to do it myself.

I dunno, I really like the forums we have now. I could post stuff on any of the above topics somewhere in the various areas we already have.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That would be very cool - but it could also fall under a general creative forum - make things a little simpler.

D

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I like this one. There's been several cases where members have come together to work on things & help each other out, as well as seeking out help from others.

Of course, it could take away from Mac Scene & Web Design & Development some.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Watch out for ambiguous names. When I read "mods", I first thought of moderators, not modifications. (Not to mention the scooter-riding British youths called Mods made famous by an album by The Who.)

When I read "networking", I thought of the computer-to-computer kind, not the person-to-person kind. An Employment sub-forum is a good idea (a separate sub-forum for job hunting and hiring, not part of Marketplace and Classifieds). But don't call it "networking".

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Doctor Q

I agree, but I cannot think of a better term for it - it is what the headseeker and jobseekers call it.

I feel that if we don't use and call it something like 'Networking', and explain what it is, it'll become a cesspool of 'I need a job' instead of 'hey, does anyone know anyone in the field of...', which is the essence of networking.

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

"Discovering mutually beneficial synergies" (aka. schmoozing)? ;)

18. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

good thoughts guys... keep it coming...

the forums are going to get a major revamp in the near future with the newest software etc... hopefully a prettier (at least brighter) theme, and new sub forums etc...

still a few weeks off at least... waiting for the newest version of the forum software to be released.

arn

19. radhak macrumors regular

if you are doing a revamp, maybe you could have a forum exclusively for the MacRumors site and its forums (a sort of 'inward looking' or recursive forum).

So the thread with everybody's photos could go there, and also other threads about its background / history ( so this Oldest Active Member or this any track and field athletes? would go there.

also, we could have some sort of reporting capability that could show various ways of looking at ourselves here (if not dynamic reports, could be pre-defined reports), like 'who has started the maximum threads?' or 'who has ended the most?' etc. would be very interesting to see that ;)

dunno if all that is feasible, but just a thought.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

"Freshening up the categories" might be fun, but I think that the forums are already excellent. However, contrary to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, here's another suggestion:

When the war in Iraq started, it became clear that the Political Discussions & War Discussion sub-forum was needed and should be necessarily separate. I think that the title should change to Political Discussions because wars are political, so discussion of the war du jour would still be there, without drawing attention to wars in particular.

Since I don't frequent the politcal discussions, I don't know if they (or other threads) often include religious arguments. This is another category where discussions can get flaming hot, can never be settled, and aren't directly related to the purpose of MacRumors. If such discussions need to have an obvious home, you could have a Religious Discussions thread too.

Yet another suggestion, based on ideas I've seen above: use a Hobbies & Professions sub-forum to group the photography, art, CAD, etc. threads.

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I see nothin wrong with calling it Hobbies & Professions :)

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I think a

Feedback Forums would be nice.

And I think Arn knows my views on what should be done with Mac-P2P.com

23. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Yeap, here here to Tazo's photography suggestion.
    At least art forum.

Maybe even coffee...
    Or Jazz...

Oh what, yeah, um, "Just Art" forum would be cool for graphics design, mulitmedia, film, canvas, photography (of course.

24. TMay macrumors 68000

I was just going to post this suggestion...

and I noticed that I am now allowed to post new threads!

...like I have a clue..

Anyway, I'm fully behind an engineering/CAD forum though my current package, (pro/e), while decidedly in UNIX and Windows flavors, has only one package, Pro/CONCEPT to offer in OSX. (note: I'm just in the process of upgrading from 20 to Wildfire, so even that is a bit off until I finish paying for all the updates and forward maintenance.)

I'm also behind art/hobby forums as well.

note* CAD/CAM/CAE is now Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)

25. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

My whole computer is running bootlegged software. Poor Uni students can't afford to buy software. Open serial sharing would be good.

I like the suggestions about an art/photography thread.
    maybe one to do with audio as well. Eg: speakers, amps, CD players, etc...