macrumors - thinksecret - appleinsider

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ultra kyu, Apr 14, 2006.

1. ultra kyu macrumors newbie

Let me start off by saying I do love the site and visit it almost daily now.

however...

If I were the only person polled, Macrumors, Thinksecret, and Appleinsider are the top 3 unofficial Apple sites out there. With Apple and their clientele so commited to the asthetics of the product, does anyone else find it odd that these three sites are fairly bland (or downright ugly in my opinion) from a design point of view?

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

No.

Most sites are ugly, IMO. Why should Apple-related sites be any different? Just because we all love a company that has employed good designers doesn't make us good designers.

3. Lacnce macrumors member

I think MacRumors is beautiful!
    Poll me instead.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think MR has the best site design ever, but it is far from ugly. I find it much nicer than the average site out there.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yeah, there are sites out there that look better then Macrumors but think of the sheer amount of users on Macrumors, if we had real elegant effects and the like the bandwidth usage would eat the servers from the inside out :eek: not to mention slow things down.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

MacRumors rules. Appleinsider is similar to what Rumors was years ago but this be the place bar none:D

8. ultra kyu thread starter macrumors newbie

Well a well designed site doesn't have to be complicated. Even something as simple as the adobe user forum looks elegant and clean or at least in comparison to this site.

9. narco macrumors 65816

narco

I like Apple's design. I like Macrumors' content.

Fishes,
    narco.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the site looks fine. I don't like complicated, although beautiful sites. They're great to look at, but I wouldn't want to go to a really flash, designer site. I like this plain and simple look.

However, I do think that the forums list is a bit too long.

11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

MacRumors is the only forum I go to, and I've yet to see a forum looking better. :)

Good job, arn! :)

and all the other people! : )

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its nice on the eyes....thats all that matters...i think.

Bless

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hands down. Informative, respectable, and a consistently good group of people. Whenever I have a Mac-related issue this place can help. Plus with just about every other type of issue as well!

Seriously, this community has some incredible breadth and depth to it, from the top down.

14. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

couldn't agree more. i hate some of those flashy forums. THe white with the gray and the light blue works for me. I do have some gripes, but that is more with vbulletin, not MR.

-yankeefan

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's about the information, not looks. There are plenty of beautiful sites out there that don't have a thing worth saying.

Also, it's been done within the constraints of vBulletin, not just as a website.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is there anything other then vBulletin that MR can go to or is this about the best for what we can afford?

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

if every site were made "beautiful" then there wouldn't be a level that makes it outstanding, everything would thus be mediocre. Some sites have to keep it plain to make other sites look "nicer" in comparison ;) .

As for MR, i like the design, it's nice. ThinkSecret is nice as well. Appleinsider, meh i don't really go there so i don't really have much to complain about. I mean i don't go there because it's pretty (or don't because it isn't) i go to a site because of the content. MR doesn't have to be drop dead gorgeous for me to come :p

18. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I like the design. Most fourms i visit are like Dell or Alienware computers. Most fourms are farily cluttered putting unwanted pictures in their sigs. and huge obnoxious avitar pics. Here, the limit on sigs. and avatars may seem weird to n00bs but it keeps the site clean and allows you to get info fast.

19. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I like these forums better than anything else I've seen out there.

And as for the site design... simple is better. I like all three of the websites listed, with MR probably being my favorite of them.

20. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Couldn't agree more!

I have fits when I check out some forums with obnoxious sig banners and others that don't have AVs (Ars, I'm looking at you).

21. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

i like mac rumors because it has all these helpful guides. i especially like the Buyer's Guide.

overall, i think MR has the largest and best community out of all of the mac sites out there.

22. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Here-here!

23. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I like the look of the macrumors site. Nice colours, clean design, easy on the eye good layout. But most of all the content and contributors are top notch.

Compare for example photoshoptechniques.com the main page takes ages to load for what? nothing. However the site is chock a block full of the most obnoxious pretentious pratts one would never want to meet. It is not unusual for a noob who asks a simple question to be told "google it you moron". I was recently banned from the site, for starting a thread where I complained about a *moderator* referring to me as a 'douchebag'.

This site has a sense of humour and knowledge with good grace. Top notch.

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

It is a very nice design. Simple and Elegant, easy on the eyes nothing is hiding on you. Everything is right there for it to be found. Their custom CMPS works well with the forum (however i don't know how long the delay is for updates).

The only thing that could be changed in my eyes is the bright yellowish color for the guides table

25. iGav macrumors G3

That's how I feel, I don't come to MR because of it's aesthetic.