MacRumors' Webcast Stats during the MWSF 2006 Keynote

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2006.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

On January 10th, 2006, MacRumors delivered live updates of the Macworld San Francisco 2006 keynote speech given by Steve Jobs. Since no live Quicktime stream was made available, Mac fans had to rely on live web text updates. MacRumors.com successfully delivered live-updates to a record number of users using the latest web technologies.

After analyzing the logs, we've posted a summary of the MacRumorsLive system and the traffic that it generated.

In short, we peaked at approximately 103,000 simultaneous web visitors and over 6,000 IRC viewers during the keynote speech and consumed over 32 GB of bandwidth during the three hours surrounding the event.

2. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Interesting statistics. I wonder how many Kleenexes were soiled when the Intel iMac and MacBook Pro were announced? :D

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

:eek: 32gb of bandwidth? Jeeze the most my companies site has ever used is 60gb...in a MONTH

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

no wonder I couldn't post comments on the news stories... whoa! and that's 32 GB of mostly plain text I guess. mind-boggling.

what's the site hosting setup like? are you going to pay dearly for that bandwidth?

6. poe diddley macrumors regular

good work!!!!!!!

i was following along while it was going on. pretty good work actually. macrumors had the best coverage by far as i tried to bounce between a couple other sites that were a lil behind u guys. next best thing to streaming quicktime IMO:)

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Excellent job, congratulations to all involved for providing the best user experience to be had in this corner of the web. Here's to many more to look forward to.

8. Zweben macrumors member

Zweben

That's pretty damn impressive. Good work guys. Very well designed site to be able to handle that kind of traffic.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Of all the MacWorld events ever covered by MacRumors this was the best one yet.

10. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

You guys did a great job in the coverage. The format was great and I enjoyed the 1 minute updates as compared to the 3 in previous years.

Thank you!

11. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Holy Jebus!

Thats a frickin TON of bandwidth for a product announcement no one was sure of.

Yeah you guys this one down pat! Great work!

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, congratulations on being able to handle all that. I think you guys were the only site, out of the 10 or so regular ones i visit, that actually worked without a hitch the entire keynote. Thanks!

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If we had used the old full-page refresh method instead of the new AJAX enabled site, it would have generated close to 196 GB of bandwidth during the same period of time.

arn

14. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

VERY nice work! (I'd hate to see the bandwidth bill! :eek: )

15. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Again I want to thank the Macrumors forum server for almost giving its life so that Mac fans could continue to freak out, bitch, and worry before, during, and after (Most of the bitch after mind you.) the keynote. It took some real gonads to keep the forum server unlocked the entire time. Thanks.

Arn. Do you guys think you will ever bring back the Macrumors mugs?
    [​IMG]

I, and I'm sure many others, would be more then willing to plunk down some $$ to help MR's. Esp in times like this where you eat through bandwidth like a thirsty man in the desert goes through water.

16. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Go MacRumors :D

By far the best coverage on the net!

Heres to the next Stevenote/WWDC/Paris coverage ;)

17. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Wow! Congrats MacRumors on surviving the storm! I know I sure appreciated the fantastic job MR did. It was a wonderful way to keep updated.

I had no idea so many others were enjoying it with me. :eek: :eek:

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Next year more fine-tuning will make MacRumors coverage even better, as Steve Jobs announces the secret plan for switching from Intel to AMD and the new MacBook nano.

19. narco macrumors 65816

narco

I visit a lot of Mac-related websites, and you guys had the best coverage without a doubt. In fact, some of the other sites were just copy/pasting what you guys were posting.

Fishes,
    narco.

20. jnasato macrumors regular

wow

Wow, that's really amazing... Impressive that the servers could handle it all.

Thanks for the coverage MacRumors!

21. Menhir macrumors newbie

Excellent Work...

Kudos on a job wonderfully done!! I was following the keynote on multiple sites, including engadget, which covered CES keynotes pretty well, but even they couldn't sustain the hits like you guys did. Amazing responsiveness and perfect updates!!

Again, you guys were undoubtedly the best!

22. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I was totally impressed by the way the site held up. Well done.

Greg

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice work. I was surprised how dead the forums were despite all those logged-on people though. Awe-inspired silence maybe?

24. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Wow. Nicely done. Those messages of 'overwhelming interest' certainly weren't lying. :)
    I'd also like to say thanks for this site not having pop-ups or annoying advertisements. It's understandable that some pay the hosting fees, but I'm glad you guys have kept it tame :)

25. hscottm macrumors member

its scary to think that there are 100,000 of us hard up for rumors.

No wonder steve made special mention of "super secret mac rumors" in his fake keynote podcast.

I wonder if internal marketing estimates think of this (e.g., "we could make an ipod toilet and those rumor-ons would buy 100,000 of them, so lets do it").

I just thought there were 500 or so of us wackos.