macrumorslive idea

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Aniej, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

It might be a bit late and difficult to manage, but is it possible to make the macrumorslive feed an RSS feed and each life that you enter Arn act as if it were a separate news story? I don't think this would interfere with what we might see if we were just sitting on the macrumorslive site, but I have a lot of rss readers and things of that sort and it would be really awesome to have my screensaver be each updated submission. Just a thought and not a perfect one, but an idea.:rolleyes:

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

well, it's certainly not going to happen for this keynote, and it's not a very efficient way to go (for the site)

The keynote feed is pretty nice. you should watch it in real time. the text updates appear at the top of the page every 60 seconds, no page reload required. photos should also appear as well, this time around.

arn

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

i know how it works my friend, I appreciate your providing it. will the pics be in time with the updates, I mentioned that in a different post I think it may have been around 12 pm saturday, but just spitballing times and dates here.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

photos will be time delayed a bit... there's a processing/transmission time required for photos that the text updates don't need.

I would hope for a few minute delay at worst, but we won't know until we get there. I think it will still "work" :)

arn

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Will the pictures just randomly be mixed in with the live text, or will the text be delayed to match the pictures? ...It might look somewhat odd if the pictures are displaying iPhoto features while the text has already moved onto iMovie.

Also (since we are on the subject already), is MacRumors going to be posting text from a direct source (like a MR member), or will you be posting text from other mac news sites like you've done in the past?

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Text updates will be from a direct source. I think we only consolidated other site updates once before. typically, we've posted our own.

Text updates will run as usual, and as fast as can be posted. Photos will run in a separate column, and will likely be time-delayed by a few minutes. They won't correspond exactly. In that, when the text updates and the photo updates, they won't necessarily match. But photos are timestamped (as are the text updates), so it's easy to follow.

arn

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I was going to suggest placing text and pictures in different columns, but as always, you guys are way ahead of me.

Everything sounds like it's going to run perfectly. Thanks for all of the hard work!

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Knox is our resident expert... and deserves a lot of credit. There are still a ton of things that could go wrong... but if it all comes together, it will be very nice. Best keynote coverage ever, perhaps? :) We hope...

arn

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

nice i like the separate column idea. will the picture column, like the text column, be something that has a scroll bar? then the picture not matching the text problem is solved. Let me rephrase, will the text and picture columns have independent scroll bars or will they be tied together?

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

no, just one scroll bar.

arn

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I am looking forward to the picture aspect this year. It should bring us a lot closer to the action and give us a feel like we are in the audience.

12. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

two quickies before I hit the sac...

1. Will you please announce as part of the post whether the product is available today, going to be ready in 3 months, online, etc. I can't recall if you do this already, but no harm in asking in case you don't.

2. So we are prepared, would you please start developing a third column for MWSF 08 that includes smell. I like that new car.. I mean Apple smell. please make sure that feature has the independent scrolling though, I don't want to have to smell Otellini when Bono is up there jamming.:D

13. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I remember the shipping time always being listed for new products:)