Macrumours?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just wonder if there's a mainly British centric Mac forum? I get confused with all this dollar, black friday, thanks giving etc. malarky! I'm not even fussed if its not a rumour site but just a normal mac forum.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

There's plenty of us Brits here, so instead of looking for somewhere else just ignore the rest of the babble! ;) :p

3. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

That's what I do :)
    This seems to be the 'most together' Mac forum I've found. The other just seem somewhat disjointed.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Stick around brother...the revolution is coming :eek: [​IMG]

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

<stereotypical american>
    you spelled "rumor" incorrectly
    </stereotypical american>

:D

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yep they are lots of us Brits here on this forum

and a mighty good place it is too:)

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No Katie, you did :D.

Now I'm no Pom but I too often get a bit befuddled with all this stuff, especially around the US holidays.

My main problem is that we are ahead so "New Music Tuesday" is actually
    "New Music Wednesday" and "Powerbooks next Tuesday" becomes "Powerbooks next Wednesday" which I don't think has the same sort of ring to it.

But all in all, Macrumours is the best of the lot.

8. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

i found it kinda confusing, when i firts came etc, but when your looking an you see something for like $9999999999 and your like WOW, but then when its in £ its not that bad just use

ww.xe.com/ucc

i will never get used to all the firday, saturday, etc crap lol but thats part of the fun.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I personally like the fact that there is so much diversity here.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Eh? This is the cultural capital of Mac land! Why would you have it any different?

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I always welcome people to MacRumours.

MacRumors? What's a rumor?

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Black Friday? Dollar? These are somehow troublesome?

Get a grip.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

This is a very good place ... I am easy to please and very glad when I do not have to deal with the metric system. :)

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It goes both ways.

There is such a strong British presence through prominent members, I sometimes feel out of place in certain threads. My solution, participate where I feel comfortable, learn from those things that are different.

Where else can you get such a wide variety of interaction from around the world in different cultures. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What is Black Friday? I gather it is the day after Thanksgiving but why is it Black? I was always told that Black Friday was the Friday the stockmarket crashed back in the 30's to set off the Depression.

And another thing, "The shot heard round the world" - as far as I'm aware and most everybody I've spoken to agree, this refers to the pistol shot that assassinated Arch-Duke Ferdinand and set off WWI. Yet when I was in Boston earlier this year the phrase was applied to the first shot of the American Revolution. Are you guys taught that the phrase is referring to the Revolution or is this just an instance of a few places latching onto a cool description of the event?

17. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Me neither.

I quite like the fact that us Brits are a minority (albeit a vocal one). Makes me feel special. :p

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Black Friday because it is supposedly the day that retailers go from being in the 'red' to being in the 'black' as far as their business is concerned. The majority of sales and business is done during the holiday season from Thanksgiving till the first of the year.

At least in the USofA :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Me too!
    [​IMG]

21. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Originally was a crash in the gold market but now is the day after thanksgiving since usually in the accounting area of business they will record losses in red and profits in black. Basically stores after the day of thanksgiving saw enough sales to be again profitable after months of being in the red.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Huh, that's cool.

I guess our guys have a bit of a slower lead in but yeah, huge shopping time from now until the middle of January - the Boxing Day and New Year's sales are pretty huge (lots of people with gift vouchers to use and dodgy presents to return - not to mention the requisite millions of batteries "not included" that need to be bought).

Our major non-Christmas holiday is in January so it's usually stinking hot, not a big shopping weekend cause we're all either down the beach or down the pub or both. The aboriginals call it "Invasion Day" because as with most of our history it is tinged with bad memories and bad blood that recall the arrival of us convicts to the lucky land.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, that's another thing I've learnt today, looks like they pinched the phrase and applied it to WWI. I suppose it fits both events though pretty well.

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Some threads are definitely written in english but I've had to read several of them twice, thrice or more just to understand what's being said. Sometimes, I just leave in confusion.

Damn those British people! :mad:

p.s. What's a chav? <--- You don't have to answer that one.
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

25. gco212 macrumors 6502

The stockmarket crashed on Black Tuesday, and it was in the 20's. Black Friday is just a reference to how much money retailers make the Friday after Thanksgiving (it is the day that the most money is spent in the US).