Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Just curious, and I probably already know the answer but....

I just spent about 30 minutes cleaning off a W2K system that had some adware it on. One particular piece of software is nasty in that it appends a DNS entry that you use to its server along with other invasive procedures that dink with your network settings and the wonderful kicker? The entries can't be removed from the GUI I needed to to a registry edit to get it fixed. ICK.

I'm curious. Is there any know instances of adware for the Mac?

I'm figuring since spammers are looking for the largest audience they will naturally target Windows but I just wanted to see if anyone knew if Adware even existed for the Mac.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Macs and Adware?

Originally posted by SiliconAddict
I'm figuring since spanners are looking for the largest audience they will naturally target Windows but I just wanted to see if anyone knew if Adware even existed for the Mac.

-SiliconAddict

Well, not really. This is a true case of safety through obscurity.

I've had cookies plant adware on my mac, but they just sit in my downloads folder taking up disk space.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I assume you ran AdAware on the windows box right? If not, check it out. Works like a charm.

I know I downloaded a similar program a few weeks back for OS X but I can't seem to recall the name of it or where I found it. You might search around a bit but there is a program out there to scan OS X for spyware type stuff.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by SilentPanda
I assume you ran AdAware on the windows box right? If not, check it out. Works like a charm.

I know I downloaded a similar program a few weeks back for OS X but I can't seem to recall the name of it or where I found it. You might search around a bit but there is a program out there to scan OS X for spyware type stuff.

Actually SPYBOT. I've found it to be better then adware. Unfortunately it doesn't fix broken network settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.