Macs and education.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mymemory, May 2, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, Apple is doing a good effort to introduce very good machines (I think most of the time overated systems) in to the school system in the US.

Now, the idea for me sounds like fun but... in my time as an student in the US (senior year and college), I have found that the technology helps very little in education if you do not have a good teacher or study program.

I mean, my senior year as an exchange student in the US was a joke, I had a problem with the math teacher because what his teaching was wrong. In college we used SGI machines (Indigo 4 and O2) just to name some, and one of my friends is working as a cashier in a bank and the other one is a sales representative in a online music store. I saw that coming in that institute.

I see that too much of the culture in the US relies in technology but in such fantastic way. The .com was a sign of it. and I see the tv shows in the discovery channel saying "the solution of mankind is to go to space", it is not cheaper to really educate poeple about overpopulation than creating another race of human beens to cross the universe?

I know I'm going to far in to the subject but... what is the future that technology is selling to us? At the beganing the internet was develop to create a parallel universe where all could be free (I remember that in 1995-97), yeah, to echange phorno I would say.

Now, talking about us here, the fact of having Photoshop in your computer makes you a graphic designer? where is the education? graphic designers can do lots of things better than a Photoshop user. I know the softwares are easyer every time but... are we developing the education based technology? And what are we gonna do when the technology is not longer there?

I would say, put all what you can in your mind, takes time but is accessible and is always with you where ever you are.

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

you have a lot of valid points

high tech may miniturize to the point that computers may almost run themselves in the background unseen

a lot of education is working on the current (visible) machines and the software that comes with them...all of which will be obsolete in five years

i say keep the high tech education but make sure our high school graduates could read and write and do math first

we don't want to create a whole society of idiots who know only how to punch keys on a computer

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I wonder if todays batch of engineers and scientists coming out of college could send a ship to the moon without a computer. I mean, how dependent have we become and how detrimental has that been to the core science education? I wonder...

4. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Computers are very important in society, but my point is... what is the real position of computers in the school system specially?

For me would be more usefull to learn (in high school) how to create a intranet (at list how to connect 3 computers togather) than lear historey with them. And to create a network in your house is not that hard and is more realistic.

I wonder what the school program are with computers?

I think that 90% of the computer issue at schools could be the developing of a endless market of computer software for kids. That is good, but is like learning to add and substract from primary school with a calculator.

As I see the advertisment looks like if you have a computer you would be smarther in society... Mmmmm, we all know that is far from true.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

colleges and high schools are strapped with red tape and by the time they ok a computer to be used by the budget committee, then that machine is obsolete...i mean really obsolete...my college takes 15 months to order a machine

but that is a topic for another thread

computers are important but it is interesting that many classes are taught by academics and not practitioners

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

15 months?!

what the hell is the problem?!

do they at least get them at a bulk-rate/old equipment discount??

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and eye, that's the jc where i take my cisco classes...the 4 year school has what they told me was a state of the art mac lab...i went in there recently...blue and white g3 towers

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

state of the art huh?

be sure to remind them that the B&W G3s are the ones with bad firewire... ;)

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

these machines do not have firewire...i think b and w, rev 2 or 3 had firewire

hey, you are coming on 2100! how will alphatech catch up with you?;)

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ahh...ok...I did not know that....it's really hard to keep up with all of the systems... ;)

Alpha can hold his own....he's been on a mad posting spree the past several weeks... :p