Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
i know we had a month long thread on macs and religion

so here's a fun one for everybody...how do you techies, designers, audio engineers, video engineers, and computer people dress at work?

i get to wear jeans or shorts and no tie since i do techie related work...for the last three years

i used to be a suit and suffered that torture off and on since the 1980s:mad:

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
how I dress...

one thing I can say I truly love about being an artist is...I have an excuse for dressing down... :p

generally I wear colored t-shirts....some with print from the surf/skate type shops....some plain colored...bright colors...he he he...

khakis...cords...painter jeans from old navy....whatever's clean...

unfortunately I have what seems to be an endless supply of Doc Martens since I used to sell shoes as a first job (5 years to be exact)...but I do love my Adidas....so comfy....he he he...

I've also gotten away with shorts and sandals in the summertime....it gets damned hot here in New Orleans!!! :p

coeus

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2002
albany, western australia
eyelikeart
i hear ya man. shorts and sandels can be beat. the breeze and all :)

the majority of my tshirts are branded with holden logos.
my shorts are all whacked out stuff. like stripes, checkers and funky coloured ones. dont often wear pants, they scare me.

as for shoes i wear human. velcro aswell...im lazy!

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
During the summer when I was actually working as a graphic designer I worked at a really mellow place, so jeans and a tee shirt was no problem. I could even wear beer tee shirts, and it was cool.

-Pete

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I work for a Defense contractor, but I haven't had to wear a tie in years. Occasionally when working with clients, I will put one on or even wear a jacket, but most days a collared shirt, kahkies. Shorts aren't really a choice, but once in a while when its beastly hot, I've worn them.

But when I'm in the lab or hangar, jeans and boots.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Head:
1 x Stainless steel Ear-ring
1 x Titanium lip ring
1 x Stainless steel nose ring

Bench or standard delux or Black Flys beanies

Torso:
T-shirts, generally printed, skate style, although I do design and get my own printed aswell mostly typographic, and my fav PWEI t-shirt from a gig in 1994...... they were such a good band......

Legs:
Combats, nylon training trousers, cargo trousers, or wool trousers in the winter.

feet:
sox, all colours, Acupuncture about 5 pairs, 1 x Adidas old skool, NB 802, Swear, Tsubo...... I don't own smart shoes.......

From all of the above... to sumarise, I look like a stereo-typical New Media guy....:p :p :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Oh.... before anyone says....

I don't have 3 heads nor do I have 18 legs either.......

I feel quite lucky that I'm not in an industry that requires you to wear a suit or tie....... thats probably why I got into it actually!!!

Suits literally do not suit me.....:D the only time I wear a suit is when someone I know dies........:(

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
maybe we should say specifically what we do in our replies?!

I know it's probably in profiles...but it can be a bit tedious to look through each!! :p

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by eyelikeart
maybe we should say specifically what we do in our replies?!

I know it's probably in profiles...but it can be a bit tedious to look through each!! :p

good idea, eye,

so along with no tie and an informal attire, i am a network/pc techie, computer science teacher, landscaper, and volunteer helping heroin addicts

and oh jah, i am a mac user

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
am also a Mac user...he he he

pretty much wear whatever I want...I am a production artist for a print company....and do freelance design and photography as a hobby..

also am a student again....writer...so I have an excuse to be comfortable in my attire...he he he :p

and jef....u really volunteer to help herion addicts?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Mac user too!!!

I'm like eyelikeart....... (I don't mean I look like him....) I mean I get to wear anything i like.....

I'm a Freelance Interactive Designer, and wear what I like, except on Sundays... where I like to wear womens clothes and go to church......:p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Mac user too!!!

Originally posted by iGAV
where I like to wear womens clothes and go to church......:p

iGAV's a lumberjack!! (random Monty Python reference)

Ok, I'm a multimedia artist, 3D animation, DV, illustration, photography, etc. I have a real job working for a defense contractor and I do work on the side. I'm also the Vice President of the National Flossing Council.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
interesting thread here jethatfield!

my dress style: looking like im in a modern rock band. (which i was anyways so go figure)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
iGAV's a lumberjack!! (random Monty Python reference)

And a damn good looking one too..... with my flowery dress, and tights and strapless shoes.......

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
I work oncampus (UW-Milwaukee) in a small advertising office. I am going to school for Graphic Design.

I can wear whatever I want since it isn't a real job. But my attire is usually khaki's with a bright colored shirt. A third of my wardrobe is orange though. It is just a kickass color.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
being a uni student, i suppose it's not exactly surprising that i wear jeans and a t-shirt most days. When it's warm enough, i'll probably switch to basketball shorts

Except saturdays, when i go to church (without the skirt!)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Well, my paying job is at Blockbuster so I have to wear khakis, and that darn blockbuster blue w/gold trim "polo" shirt. When I'm in my native (read: post production) environment I wear black jeans, T-shirts (many band related), and boots (combat, cowboy, square-toe, etc.,). And I have the classic long hair but shaved on the sides & back hair cut. I also usually sport long, painted finger nails, but those don't fly at BB (I wonder why...:confused: ;)). If it helps I usually have a Goth/Heavy Metal vibe goin'....

Lethal

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Re: am also a Mac user...he he he

Originally posted by eyelikeart
pretty much wear whatever I want...I am a production artist for a print company....and do freelance design and photography as a hobby..

also am a student again....writer...so I have an excuse to be comfortable in my attire...he he he :p

and jef....u really volunteer to help herion addicts?

our goal is to keep them safe, fed, provide bus transportation, medical care referrals, detox referrals, and info to keep them healthy and we get our funds from the county health department

some other county agency provides clean needles

and if the law is broken, that falls under the jurisdiction of the county police

so basically, it's all the county and i am just a volunteer on the providing information for busing and health part

heroin is the top drug in our area behind cigarettes and alcohol but does not kill nearly as many people but does still create a lot of misery

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Dress pants, dress shoes, dress socks, belt, button down dress shirt with tie every day. Some days, if I have a hearing, I wear a suit.

You computer types have it made when it comes to what you get to wear.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
but you guys make more!

and assuming you didn't take out a $50,000 dollar student loan, you can set up a few safe investments and retire before you are 40 or 45

as for me, i will be forced to retire once us techies become obsolete if wintel or someone like that starts building machines that can fix, program, and troubleshoot other machines (ie - artificial intelligence)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
My wife and I have been very lucky with student loans. She'll graduate from med school next month, and combined we have zero student loans to pay off!

So, I'm really hoping something really great comes out at MWNY, cause for the first time, we'll be able to afford it (no tuition!!!)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I'm a total idiot. I forgot to put in what I do. Sorry, I'm an attorney.

And, yes I know, 1000 dead lawyers on the bottom of the ocean IS a good start.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Im a film student. I work as a TA for the animation dept. SO i get to wear whatever I want. When I get outta school it should be the same way...I love makin movies..

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: student loans & lawyers

speaking of student loans....I had a bit of money owed to Sallie Mae that I recently was able to pay in full with a bit of resourcefulness...and no I didn't hit up dad for some cash....;)

but I agree with jef...u guys may need to dress up everyday...but u do make more money than us...but I guess we have more fun...he he he :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.