macs and food

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 7, 2002.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

macs and food

rip away!

i like fattening foods and that explains my appearance more than me being a sedintary techie;)

2. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Food

I like just about every food ever ever! All but brusslesprouts :barf:

Best Fast Food: Del Taco, Carls Jr., In n' Out, and Weinershnitzel

Best Home Food: My dad's steak, and lamb. My moms spaghetti, tacos, lazania, and chicken

Best MY Food: Roast-Beef Sandwich :) and a Tuna-Melt

Best Drink: Probly Gatorade, and water

3. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Anything that's dead...

I'm one of the most un-picky eaters I know. I've had everything from escargots and steak tartare to filipino food that was probably dog (no offense :p ).

I lived in Hawaii for 7 years, where I developed a fondness for sushi, sashimi, plate lunch, spam musubi, chinese food, japanese food, hawaiian food, filipino food...you name it.

I also love American cuisine: ribs, burgers, fried chicken...you know, greasy stuff. Mexican food is big in CA, so lots of that too. Cajun food is some of my favorite, nothing like some good cayenne pepper to get the sweat goin'!

I love European food: French, Italian, Spanish, etc.

Face it, I love food...maybe too much...that's why I'm in the same boat as jef! :D

4. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I eat mostly healthy...grilled, diet drinks, wheat anything, lots of soy, veggies, fruits, protein supplements...

no fast foods...barely any red meats...no fried....not much carbs...don't drink a whole lot either...

I do have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies though....

I love gourmet pizza from this place here called Rocky's Gourmet Pizza (backtothemac knows where I'm talking about ;))

I love cajun & seafood....who couldn't living in new orleans?!

I also love middle eastern, thai, indian, italian, mexican, french...damn what am I missing?! (as u can see I'm definitely not a "burgers & fries" kinda guy)

I honestly love eating....I just try to maintain when I do...he he
    ;)

5. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Rower

Man, I gotta meet you. You and I seem so much alike. I will eat just about ANYTHING.

The only thing that gets me mad, is when you go somewhere that has really good food with someone, and they order something like a "grilled cheese"

I like my sandwiches with tomato, lettuce, pepperocinies :), swiss on roastbeef, olives, bellpeppers, and just about everythin!

6. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Rower

LOL!!!

When I get a sub sandwich I usually get everything on it...everything they have available at the place anyway. It's like the Carl's Jr commercial: If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face.

7. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hehe, everything kinda guy, I love it!!!

Carls Jr. does have pretty good commercials. Pertaining to me...it gets all over the place!

8. macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I'll eat almost anything also, but a good filet mignion (spelling?) with mashed potatos and a nice veggie side is by far my favorite meal. A nice glass of good red wine would top that all off very nicely. Then some Breyers ice cream. Whatever flavor, just make it breyers.

mmm now I'm hungry!!! Anyone want to cook me dinner?

-Pete

9. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

mignon: French for "cute" or "little"

10. macrumors 68030

britboy

I'll eat anything, as long as it's got ketchup on it. Well, that's what some people think about me anyway.

Lasagne, pizza, tortilla, humous on pitta bread, paella... pretty much an atypical british diet. Oh yes, i'm rather partial to cornish ice-cream :)

11. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Same with me man. I drench my fries, burgers, pelof ( that rice stuff ), everything!

12. macrumors 68020

Beej

13. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well... i don't eat meat... but i do also like "everything on it" when it comes to my veggie burgers. in fact, i think that's the thing that makes it taste that way, moreso than the burger itself. when you cover it with all that stuff, it just tastes better.. haha

i love spaghetti, eggplant parmesan, lasagna, etc.

i also enjoy a food called "pigs in the blanket". not the little mini weiners wrapped in bacon, but rather it's an eastern european thing... the real version is ground beef and rice in a cabbage type shell. kinda like a stuffed pepper, but cabbage instead. my mom has started making that with fake soy meat and it's also amazing.

i like taco bell. of course i prefer more "real" mexican food but since i haven't had the true mexican food, i don't really know what i'm missing.

14. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My last house mate I had before I got married was a gourmet chef. Let me tell you I was in heaven. He'd come home from work and whip something up, my job was to pick the bottle of wine. At one point in our 1 1/2 years together we had 9 cases of wine in the house. By the time we moved out we split up about a case worth, and that was mostly stuff we had bought recently.

But I have to give him a lot of credit in teaching me how to cook. I now cook most of the time at home and its almost as good as my old housemate's. I love the grill, one of the best things to have at home in my opinion, and I'll grill summer or winter, rain or snow, I don't care.

But I love DC becuase its such an international city (NY is too) and the range of ethnic food is amazing. I'll eat sushi one time and the next time I'm out I'll be eating at the local Bangladeshi joint around the corner. We have a huge Thai and Vietnamese population, and that food is so much better than Chinese. If I ever had to move somewhere that didn't have as many selections, it would have to be for a damn good reason.

15. macrumors 68040

I will also eat ANYTHING.
    My favorite foods range from Sushi to Giant Burritos to Pot Roast.

16. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

thinking of DC and eating brings one thing into my mind.... the old post office! haha.

i know it doesn't make sense. but when i was young and i'd make trips into DC with my family (from NoVA) we'd always eat lunch at the food court in the old post office. i visited dc recently (some museums with international friends) and ate there, just for kicks... there was tons of security there... and the place was empty. kinda sad.

17. macrumors 65816

cleo

Next to Macs and Angelina Jolie's... well... :D ... food is my favorite thing in the world!

I'm vegetarian - no meat, seafood, eggs. Some milk, but not much. Lots and lots of cheese and black beans and vegetarian sushi and burritos and Tofu Crumbles(tm) and spinach and, oh yes, GARLIC. Basically anything but green bell peppers and cucumber. Oh, and I LOVE ice cream. Total ice cream nut. Once actually had a 6-month romantic relationship built on mutual ice cream appreciation.

What I want to know is - what restaurants in your hometown (or other favorite cities) can't be missed?

Me:
    - Ai Mei Thai in St. Pete
    - Tokyo Bay in St. Pete
    - SideBern's in Tampa

18. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

not much milk... but tons of cheese and ice cream????? haha. unless you're talking soy cheese and soy ice cream... yuck.

i eat eggs and milk, but again, i limit it..

burritos are great, as are quesadillas. morningstar hot dogs are great, as well as their bacon strips... the fake meat crumbles in stuff like spaghetti is impossible to know the difference from meat, and is very tasty.

19. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's one of the many things I absolutely loved about DC....the food is incredible there! Such a melting pot of ethnicity, culture...oh man I wanna go back so badly!!!

u should come down to New Orleans...so much good food down here...jefhatfield would love it!! ;) :p :D

20. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh wow, St. Pete, eh? I just got married down there in December! My wife grew up in St. Pete and her mom still lives there. Where abouts are you from, Tampa or St. Pete?

In the downtown area, along the park on the bay in St. Pete, don't remember its name, is a restaurant - Moon Under Water. Its a colonial English tavern, serving all sorts of ethnic foods that you might have found in any of the English colonies at the height of the empire. My favorite is the Curry, I think they might have vegie too, but I'm not sure. Its the best curry I've had in the states. The best ever was in Fiji - the population is 40% Indian, so a visit to one of the curry houses there is a must if you happen to go.

As for good restaurants in DC, the best by far and actually its rated in the top 3 in DC by Zaggats is Kinkead's, on the 2000 block of Pennsylvania. Its a seafood restaurant unlike any I've ever been too, and the calamari appetizer is a must. Its not fried but grilled, and placed on a bead of polenta, pesto and a base of tomato sauce. Totally unbelievable. My wife and I go there freqently just to get appetizers before a show at the Kennedy Center. You can eat in the main dining room, but that would require reservations, if you eat in the bar area, more like a bistro, you can usually just show up and get seated.

This is a must for all seafood lovers if you visit DC. Trust me and I promise you won't be sorry you went.

21. macrumors 68030

teabgs

I also do not eat meat, though I eat poultry. I'll eat whats cheap. If a meal cost much over $5 and I'm not feeling like a high roller forget it. So, my limitations of money being a student force me to eat what I can for the least possible amount of money.

We have this great Pizza place across the street from my school where I can get 2 slices of pizza and a soda for $3...in NEW YORK!! I eat that way too much cause its close and cheap.

I try not to goto DC too often....the metro closes to early and I HATE driving their...I once got lost going to a friend's by AU....I ended up at the smithsonian (if you know the area you're laughing at me, if you dont know...well, thats not too close). It sucked. Luckily I got there and it was a party so I got really drunk and forgot abou the ride there :D:p

note: post # 300 swig a nooch!

22. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ha. poulty not meat? interesting theory... ha. i actually have a meal plan, so i eat that as often as i can stand, just to get my money's worth out of it.

ahh. good old mercato. that place indeed rules. they key is to get the drink with no ice, you get a good deal more that way... ha

23. macrumors 601

krossfyter

pretty much what eyelikeart said...i like.

im down with burgers though...every once in a while...but i hate fries (or grease sticks as i call them)
    burgers give me that fat that my body needs every week...only a small amount though.
    im down with pizza like crazy man. i try to eat more protein than carbs because i work out a lot. but i need the carbs to work out with. so all in all...a balance of good food for your body. keep it interesting and healty if possible.

24. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    fooooooood

tex-mex is my favorite but since i now live in cali, i can't find one single friggin decent mexican food place.

the foods i enjoy are organic grains, steamed veggies, arugala salads, fruit and grilled fish. pretty boring but it keeps the weight off. just gave up dairy( even drink my coffee black--blah) and meat but i do fall off the wagon sometimes.( as in #4 spicy chicken sandwich at JiB)

pretty far cry from how i was raised-where every food group had meat in it:D anything spicy is cool with me-jalepenos, habineros, hot mustard-its all good. thai is great, sushi isn't.

when i visit texas, i'll splurge and have chicken fried steak, mashed potatos, fried okra, mustard greens and cornbread. makes me feel like i crawled back into the womb :) but my stomach feels like an out-of-balance maytag for a couple of days...

love cajun 'cept the mudbugs. man i miss cafe du monde.

and , of course i can't give up my vices--chocolate and dr. pepper .

25. macrumors 6502

What about Ben & Jerry's Chunkey Munkey?
    Also boerenkool a dutch 'speciality'
    Sometimes I get a double cheeseburger at Burger King and then pick up some fries at a small snackbar cause they have good mayonaise.
    Gerror