Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by eyelikeart
why is it that men who have a sense of fashion and are artistic often stereotyped as being gay?

have fun with this one! :p

OK, from the resident fag's point of view (it's like the n word, i can use it because i am one :) ) it's because there are no straight men with taste... if you have a straight guy that knows how to dress, you've got a Mary on your hands ;)

just kidding of course...:)

actually i think it has to do with those who are gay, or "enlightened" being more openly in touch with their so-called feminine side, while butch guys hide and from an early age refuse to nurture (there's that word again :p ) these artistic or fashon senses... Plus some people, regardless of orientation, don't have style, just as many guys don't have rhythm :)

Fortunately I have impeccable style *and* rhythm ;)
hehe
pnw

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: One thing:

Originally posted by paulwhannel

I'm just waiting for this bible-beating Fred Phelps (http://www.godhatesfags.com) to come out... I feel so bad, there has to be a couple gay people in his familycult, those poor people thinking God condemns them for what they can't help...

if women are soft, does that make men... hard? hehehe... I could say that's why I like 'em ;)
TMI again, perhaps :)

pnw

here's a quote from me, a born-again missionary,

"fred phelps is the most evil person on earth and makes bin laden look like santa claus"

you can print that

amen

and mr. phelps, get the heck out of my religion, you flying ****

ps - i feel quite ok to swear when it comes to people obviously more evil than bin laden, timothy mcveigh, or hitler

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
RE: Bigotry:

I had a thought a while back:

If the human species started out as 1 race...........how did we get so many phenotype groups?

Answer: War.

Killing over slight differences only enhances those differences through genetically bottlenecking the oppressed group and concentrating their "look and feel". The ultimate "racism begets racism" arguement...........it holds up too.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
where hitler burned people in ovens, phelps would have no problem killing each and every enemy he had with chinese water torture or methods used in the spanich inquisition

people like phlelps are throwbacks to the age of the church when they raped other countries for their gold, killed their able bodied men, and stole their women...in the name of religion

phelps is the example of an agent of satan used to divide and try to conquer christianity

the christian identity movement is another

hitler and his christian hitler youth is another example

so it is not just the jihads of the muslim faith that blow up innocent civilians...phelps and his followers would follow suit in a second and make the suicide bombers look benign

you have to remember, phelps and his followers are more educated and well armed than most jihads and they live right here in the usa, which makes them the terrorists we need to watch out for

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
whew, i got that out of my system...

being a christian, when i see christian bin laden types, it just makes my blood boil

the muslim bin laden types are bad enough, but the christian bin laden types live here in the us and that makes it even more unacceptable

if i grew up in another country with another religion and i read the violent history of the catholic church, the violent protestant reformation, jim jones, and now this phelps guy, i would think that christians were the great satan

but thank god i read and i have a bible and i can have the luxury to read jesus christ's words

in many countries, people do not read even their own language and once they get whiff of someone as evil as phelps, jim jones, or some other nut, it is no wonder they want to retaliate thinking that christendom will raid their country again in yet another "crusade"...all it takes is a tin horn dictator to twist the facts and make phelps and george bush the same person and the ancient crusades and the un the same entity and there you have it, another ignorant zealot dead along with innocent civilians

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: paulwhannel

thank u for your enlightenment on my question...

I've often been curious as to why this is in society. Personally, I've been flamed by a good friend of mine whom I've always felt had issues regarding his sexuality...mainly because I have what many say is a good sense of taste with dress...am artistic...can be on occasion sensitive...and I prefer red wine over anything else...

However...I am very much straight...have never had it any other way and will likely never. There have been a few times when I know I'm being checked out...that's cool with me completely. I admit, I do wish it were the opposite...but hey what can I do? What does bother me is this one time while on vacation some guy swore just by the sheer fact that I looked decent and was drinking red wine while out that I was gay and just didn't realize it yet (and yes he was himself)...

damn...what did this thread originally start off as?! ;)

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Phelps

Wow, I had no idea so many people even took notice of the guy, let alone felt so strongly. People that I don't agree with, I try to see from their point of view, understand their logic, and therefore better understand why they think these things. But phelps has no logic. He knows what he's doing is wrong. I urge you all to read something called the Fred Phelps Exposé, it details how he grew up, his time as a lawyer (he has since been removed from the bar) the child abuse that is beyond anything I've seen (save Dave Pelzer) and finally his anti-gay ministry.

Was on the site last week, he was ranting about how the Queen Mum is in hell because she's a "fag enabler" along with Princess Diana. I used to be very vocal about Phelps, but now I let him speak for himself-- there's a saying in the gay community that Phelps is one of our greatest allies. That's probably why no one has killed the man yet. He makes even the most hardcore anti-gay bigot think, "God, is this what I am?"

Had the privledge of speaking with him, via email, and he is actually somewhat intelligent, in that derranged way. You'd think he would know how to shut his mouth, but he seems hellbent (no pun intended) on ruining every last shred of credibility--

So anymore I find him harmless. Except in one aspect: Funeral pickets. I'm having dinner with Matthew Shepard's mother in June, and I almost cry whenever I see her, knowing what hell they put her through at his funeral. Thats how he's most dangerous - The human race needs a restraining order on the man.

:)
pnw

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
what that guy phelps has to say on his web-site almost reminds me about the kind of religious nut from Waco.

It's sad that he's able to use the freedom of speech available on the 'net to spout such hatred towards a group of people who i'm sure have done nothing to harm him. How can he even call himself a christian? 'God hates america/england...' and all that crap. If he'd really read the bible he'd know that God doesn't hate anyone. Damn it, people like that are enough to make you tear my hair out!

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: re: paulwhannel

Originally posted by eyelikeart
thank u for your enlightenment on my question...

I've often been curious as to why this is in society. Personally, I've been flamed by a good friend of mine whom I've always felt had issues regarding his sexuality...mainly because I have what many say is a good sense of taste with dress...am artistic...can be on occasion sensitive...and I prefer red wine over anything else...

However...I am very much straight...have never had it any other way and will likely never. There have been a few times when I know I'm being checked out...that's cool with me completely. I admit, I do wish it were the opposite...but hey what can I do? What does bother me is this one time while on vacation some guy swore just by the sheer fact that I looked decent and was drinking red wine while out that I was gay and just didn't realize it yet (and yes he was himself)...

damn...what did this thread originally start off as?! ;)

Haha... I've always thought, to be checked out by either sex is a huge compliment. As for the gay guy... We tend to be very good at identifying other gay people, it's known as gaydar... usually it's based on kind of a sixth sense, but occasionally a rogue queer will try it with something like dress - All i can say is, he probably meant it as a compliment... or really wanted some fun... heh...

And the one thing i've noticed here is that threads *never* stay where they're supposed to ;) Do have to say I love being engaged in such conversation, and i'm glad to have found macrumors :) *looks over* Almost a regular, i think :)

Oh, and if any of you need a good laugh about Phelps, go to my favorite parody site, http://www.landoverbaptist.org

pnw

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
christian crusaders are not really around anymore..i dont think....sure there are isolated cases.

however...i know that there are muslim versions all around.

makes me think...

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Personally I am highly skeptical of the studies that purport to demonstrate "genetic homosexuality." To me it all smells of ad hoc experimentation by someone motivated by the usual "identity politics" crap. Even on a charitable reading of those experiments, they suffer from post hoc fallacy. Demonstrating a correlation is not the same as proving causality, because you have not determined which way the causality runs, or if perhaps both conditions were not caused by some external factor.

But what really irritates me about the whole "I was born this way" argument is that it's an apology. When you say "I can't help being this way," you're really saying, "I would love to be able to conform to your bigoted viewpoint, but it's not possible, so I deserve your pity rather than your hate." People who prefer vanilla to chocolate generally begin expressing that preference at a very young age, but nobody would waste their time looking for a genetic component for vanilla-liking because nobody is trying to make an apology for their preference towards vanilla.

I'm totally with jef on this one -- everybody falls somewhere on the "bi" spectrum, and the need to pigeonhole oneself as totally one or the other is a socially imposed stricture. It's like the only thing that both the gay and straight political camps agree on is that it's a two-position switch in people's brains labeled "straight/gay"... and I'm pretty convinced that both sides are kinda stupid that way.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: re: paulwhannel

Haha... I've always thought, to be checked out by either sex is a huge compliment. As for the gay guy... We tend to be very good at identifying other gay people, it's known as gaydar... usually it's based on kind of a sixth sense, but occasionally a rogue queer will try it with something like dress - All i can say is, he probably meant it as a compliment... or really wanted some fun... heh...

see that's the thing....after that certain "encounter"...I asked several people who know me if I gave off that type of vibe and each one laughed ridiculously at me...I suppose there's a big difference from when u simply see someone around and when u actually know them...

I've come to accept that it's going to happen...and I can handle it...I am comfortable completely from where I stand on the matter... ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by krossfyter
i totaly understand your situation eyelikeart.

ha ha ha...thanks for conceding krossfyter...

seems we're starting to know each other on a much more personal level here lately... :p

God Bless MacRumors!!! he he he...

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
being a christian, i am not supposed to hate anyone, including satan (who still thinks he can win over the universe)

i do not hate hitler, i do not hate bin laden, and i certainly do not believe in the death penalty under any circumstance...'he who is without sin cast the first stone" - jesus, a well known jewish carpenter

but phlelps should be put to death by every right because he has blasphemed the name of christianity in such a way he has turned hundred of thousands, if not millions of people away from the faith...i cannot think of anyone who has prevented more people from looking at christians with an open mind

at least jimmy swaggart asked for forgiveness publicly and jim bakker admitted to his wrongdoings

jim jones was mentaly ill and had no idea what he did as heinous as his sins were...same with son of sam and ed gheen

assuming phelps is not crazy, then he is pure evil and the best revenge would be to have him become a real christian and apologize

in the new testament times, the most evil man according to christians was not herod or caesar, but a religious hitman named saul who killed and tortured countless christians simply because of their faith

in his own admission, paul said there was no man more evil than himself...and as the story goes, god dealt him a blow and saul converted and from then on was later known as paul the apostle

short of someone killing phelps, which my human nature wants, my spiritual side says he NEEDS to be converted to real christianity (as mentioned by cs lewis ans quoted by krossfyter here on these boards)

for such an evil man against the faith, i need to pray for phelps to turn around, but my intense hatred for him makes it almost impossible as more and more non-christians try to associate me with him which makes me sick to no end

i feel so strongly, paul w, because phelps is almost single handedly destroying christianity in america...and even more than the priests who are child molesters

it is a hard cross to bear to be commanded to "love your enemy"

jef

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: jimmy swaggart

I can't believe u mentioned him!!!

sad as it is...I could show u right where it was that he got busted on Airline Hwy...

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
jethatfield? why do you think you cant hate satan?

isnt there such a thing as righteous anger or hate?

Perhaps I'm not qualified to answer this, not being Christian and all, but I have studied the scriptures, and I think Christ would be against hating Satan... He would say to avoid him, and to not be lead astray by him, but Satan is all part of God's plan, and he serves His purpose. If Christianity is the quest to become as Christlike as possible, then one would not hate Satan. To not hate Satan is not necessarily to love Satan, and to love Satan is not necessarily to follow Satan... Just a refusal to pass judgement, as God is the only one with the authority to judge. Can you imagine a worse penalty on Satan than to be loved by humanity for what he is, and yet ignored and not followed?

jef, I admire your stance, and I think you're one of the few Christians I could calmly discuss theology with. To strive to love all, regardless of their flaws or evil, is to strive for perfection in my eyes. As the verse says, Judge not lest ye be judged...

That being said, I think God should smite Phelps. :) Does that make me judgemental? yes, but i don't aspire to be Christlike...
pnw

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by Gelfin
Personally I am highly skeptical of the studies that purport to demonstrate "genetic homosexuality." To me it all smells of ad hoc experimentation by someone motivated by the usual "identity politics" crap.

Being a scientist myself, I am always skeptical of science reports, especially from the TV news. TV reporters always manage to make possibilities sound like absolutes.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city

Perhaps I'm not qualified to answer this, not being Christian and all, but I have studied the scriptures, and I think Christ would be against hating Satan... He would say to avoid him, and to not be lead astray by him, but Satan is all part of God's plan, and he serves His purpose. If Christianity is the quest to become as Christlike as possible, then one would not hate Satan. To not hate Satan is not necessarily to love Satan, and to love Satan is not necessarily to follow Satan... Just a refusal to pass judgement, as God is the only one with the authority to judge. Can you imagine a worse penalty on Satan than to be loved by humanity for what he is, and yet ignored and not followed?

jef, I admire your stance, and I think you're one of the few Christians I could calmly discuss theology with. To strive to love all, regardless of their flaws or evil, is to strive for perfection in my eyes. As the verse says, Judge not lest ye be judged...

That being said, I think God should smite Phelps. :) Does that make me judgemental? yes, but i don't aspire to be Christlike...
pnw

Good answer man. thanks for that. i too was thinking about this and i sorta ended up on what you posted here. thanks.

and yes Jethatfield is a cool christian. i was surprised... there arent much out there. most can seem judgemental and very harsh.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
jethatfield? why do you think you cant hate satan?

isnt there such a thing as righteous anger or hate?

heck i went to bible college and paul w answered your question better than any pastor i know...way to go paul...you will be converted yet;)

having had a fellow missionary get his head blown off in belfast and then going there in the name of a protestant church in the war zone of falls road answers a lot of gray areas in christianity

i did not expect to come out of it alive and i said goodbye to everyone i loved...it sets scripture in sharp focus

other issues are "why does god allow suffering in the world" and "why are there so many christian denominations, some of who will kill each other like in belfast" and other tough questions

one thing i know, cs lewis was and is respected by both sides in war torn belfast and was truly a messenger from god to the 20th century...not a perfect man, but the best example i have ever heard of

but only christ was perfect and all christians are but forgiven sinners and will never be perfect in this life...a tough concept to swallow

ps - i know there are some churches that teach that a christian can be sinless on the earth plane and while i agree with the same saviour as them, i respectfully disagree on this point in my humblest opinion

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by jefhatfield
heck i went to bible college and paul w answered your question better than any pastor i know...way to go paul...you will be converted yet;)

Why thank you :) My mom says the same thing - she thinks that my spiritual diversions from the church I was raised in are a normal cycle in post-adolescent ideology, and that I shouldn't be so sure I've made up my mind yet. While I can't imagine coming back to the church, I certainly can't rule it out, who knows where i'll be in 10, 20, 60 years :)

ps - i know there are some churches that teach that a christian can be sinless on the earth plane and while i agree with the same saviour as them, i respectfully disagree on this point in my humblest opinion [/B]

I agree with you - I had some friends in high school that swore to be canonized is to be declared sinless, and that all catholic saints are without sin - I can't believe this. Mostly, because some sin definitions are in gray areas of the bible, some can be altered subtly by different interpretations, as well as those that are contradictory - I think the point of a lot of the bible is that one cannot be without sin, therefore it is necessary to turn to Christ to find redemption for our human nature...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.