macs and huntington beach

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Apr 24, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i love it when somebody tells me the real dirt on my town without knowing anything so i made a stupid promise about telling someone here on another post my "expert" take on huntintgon beach, ca

first of all, i will say this...i have only visited huntington beach twice...once 25 years ago and once 17 years ago

i went to college in southern california but that does not bring me closer to being a native or know the work life

"huntington beach, ca...jefhatfield's take..he he

my guess is that it is a surfer town because the beach boys said it was, so i assume that there are a lot of bleached blond surfers who are rich kids so they don't work

all their parents work at trw because the movie "falcon and the snowman" showed people work for trw and the movie did not show any other company there so i believe that the area is mostly republican due to trw's bid in the defense industry

i know that punk rock is popular down there and that there are a lot of skinheads who are the most violent in los angeles because henry rollins of black flag, a punk band, said so and the skinheads always like to wreck his shows

and i made these observations on things i saw on tv and the little exposure about southern california i had during college"

ps - huntington beach, ca? there is more than just one huntington beach in the usa so if i got the city name right but the state wrong, disregard this post

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: huntington beach

hey jef...I just gotta ask...

u have lots o' knowledge of california and it's vast differences between cities...

but have u ever been anywhere else outside of california?? ;)

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: macs and huntington beach

Oh, this made me laugh, good one jefhatfield. Could you do me a favor and post the other thread where the other party told you about your town, it should add to the entertainment value.

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: re: huntington beach

i have been on two short vacations to japan, one to hawaii, one to d.c., and i went to london for a semester abroad in college so while i have a lot of miles, i really only know northern california

so i am a northern california boy, i mean middle aged man, and have worked since age 14 and now i work in the IT/IS field

and i love outsider's takes on life and work in my home area of silicon valley...and i love those idiots who get a degree and think that they will be the ceo of intel because a piece of paper says they are smart

...only to get kicked out just as fast because theyza all thoughts thats being edumacated could teach dem all 'bout puters from dem tick textbooks:D

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: macs and huntington beach

i am the famous neutral person on macrumors and that would be mean since it would reveal who they are

my leader spikey would not hesitate for a second to rat someone out and beech slap them...but that is not my style

a couple of outsiders tried to tell me their secret for success in silicon valley, ca and it was the craziest thing i have ever heard but since silicon valley used to be in the news a lot, people have their opinions which, unless they were raised here and work here in IT/IS, are just speculation

this is meant to be a funny thread and a way to make peace with all those involved

;)

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I hear u completely on the getting a degree and thinking u are going to take over the world...

when I was in tech school for graphic design I thought for sure that once I was out I'd land a $35,000 a year job right away...and move my way up within a few years...

well it's been 2.5 years since I got out...and I haven't even achieved that status as of yet...

nothing like the "real world" to bitch slap u back into reality...he he he

I'd be happy as hell to inform u all on the lifestyle (or lackthereof...depending upon how u see it) of New Orleans...but I just don't see too many instances where that information would be even remotely useful...

so jef...Alpha & I were discussing the idea of starting a new "coalition" to replace the Anti-Zealot campaign...something revolving around "anti-idiots"...he he he.... :p

7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

you, alpha, rower, and me are all in the computer field or computer graphics field...so we could start a real world computer techie and user guild to counteract those outside of the world of computing for a living

when a student or non-industry working person tries to tell me what i do "day in and day out" in silicon valley, it is truly laughable

and least you don't see me seriously trying to gauge anywhere else..he he

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I am of the belief that u are an intelligent person who wouldn't try and claim to know what they know nothing of...in other words...I agree..he he he

so what are we going to call ourselves?? the fantastic 4?? :rolleyes: :p

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

WOS.

War On Stupidity.

Common sense Coalition.

Anti-dip**** bregade.:D

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ahem!

I've got over 12 years experience here, tech and graphics. No 5th musketeer me!:D

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

so then the thing to do is we become the "founding fathers" and then we will recruit to join our forces....dukestreet will be the very first to join up...he he he

will mischief be coming along for the ride?? he gets off on kicking it on the dumb@sses I know...he he he :p

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Double Ahem now that I think about it....

Both I and The Wookie have been looking at doing Mac IT support in the Bay Area and Monterey so if you wanna start something local jef, let me know. :cool:

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm...I already started my "antidisestablishmentariansim" campaign as a spoof of the anti-zealot campaing, but as the membership stands at a whopping "1" member I'd be willing to jump ship.

How about "The Macsketeers"? All for one, and one for all? Too cheesy?

[Edit] Duke! You beat me to it!

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Then we'd need to learn to dance and sing the theme song, nope, not for me. And the uniform? Ooh, theres a good idea, how about once you we all settle on a name I could make up an animated avatar showing us smashing dumb@sses into line, maybe in different colors. Put up a united front.

Macusers United Front Against ....

MUFAS (Stupidity)
    MUFAI (Idiots)
    MUFAD (Dumb@sses)
    MUFFI (Macusers United Front For Integrity):D

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha. i wonder how all you pros are able to be posting so much in the middle of the day. i mean, i'm a sad sack student so i have time, but you guys should be IT'ing it up. (or whatever other job youns might have). ha

now that i think about it, my malcolm in the middle episode awaits!

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It's like this:

Open 6 apps, Post, Draft, Post, Render, Post.......etc..:D

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ha if i were smart i'd at least have word open so i could write some while waiting for others to post... but. alas. i am such a sack of crap.

i need/would like to get another 5-7 pages written in the next 3 hours... hmm. i'm dumb

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: It's like this:

same here...

5 apps open...post...task...read...IM...task...fax...
    phone...coffee...IM...email...

I could go on & on...he he he ;) :p

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sounds too much like the "Life of Brian" (People's Liberation Front, Front for People's Liberation, etc). We might have too many factions and splinter groups sapping the strength of our coalition...:rolleyes:

Besides, a cool group name has to have a "wordlike" acronym...MUFFI comes close, but it's too preppy for me. :p

Maybe just MUF (Macusers United Front)...

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I got it!!!

Macrumors Pie and Seltzer Squad!!

or

International Coelition of Poop-Monkey Ranchers.

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: I got it!!!

Hmmm...monkeys and poop, there's something innately and undeniably funny about that.

Maybe a variant of that theme...simian dung...primate feces...

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

all this poop monkey talk reminds me of seeing the gorillas in zoos catching their own piss in their hands and tossing their crap around... it's amusing to see, but the smell leaves something to be desired.

23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i actually thought about it...the non-IT people who theorize about us working IT people are not really stupid at all...one goes to a great university and the other is a lawyer

it is more a question of ignorance, which we all have on some topics

thus my ignorant "rant" about huntington beach, ca

and i don't even know if it is that "huntington" beach where he is from...it was just me trying to display how ignorant we can all look at times

this rumors board has turned into the non-IT people versus the IT people working and getting paid in the real world of IT...but at least the students in high school and college who study IT will soon find out how different the real IT world is from what the professors dish out in computer science class

and being a computer science teacher myself, i work hard at tyring not to fall into the computer theory trap...and at the same time, try not to bore the living *** out of the students with real life examples

the IT field is tedious, boring, and sometimes very frustratingly difficult at times

i just told a fellow IT person, at lunch today, that if all the IT students could work one real day in the world of IT, 75 percent of them would change majors

thus goes the world of IT...it just isn't that exciting:(

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i'm not an IT person. but i don't consider myself to be in competition or at odds with IT people on here or elsewhere.

heck, if anything i can learn the stuff i DON'T know from you guys cause you have that much more experience in the specifics of the computer and such, while you can learn things in terms of graphics and stuff from folks like me (perhaps you haven't, but you COULD. haha).

that's just my take though...

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: IT

while I'm not a tech by any stretch...I am a: production artist, graphic designer, small network tech for my company, hardware fixer (in most cases), software troubleshooter, problem solver...etc, etc...

a "jack of all trades" type of u will?

I have no degree in IT except for my Associate's in Graphic Design...but I have lots of hands-on/real world experience...

I know I could learn a hell of a lot more things....and I want to...but there are only so many hours in the day...I am hopefully going to become Apple Certified like AlphaTech one day...I cannot afford it on my own and my company (believe it or not) won't pay for it...

I do, however, very much appreciate being catagorized with jefhatfield, Alpha & company at the moment though...it's good to know I've got something going for me...he he he ;)