Macs and iLife

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Patmian212, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

What would you say would be the minimum specs to run ilife DECENTLEY on a mac would be.

2. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Depends on what you consider decently and what parts of iLife are important to you.

I have a new iBook 1ghz with 384 MB of RAM. I can run iTunes with no prob at all. iMovie is pretty snappy but could improve. Garageband, again--adequate, pretty snappy, but still could improve a bit. Sometimes when I get up to 5 tracks, the playback can start to lag. But other than that I really can't complain. iPhoto is pretty snappy, much better than the last version, for sure. My library is around 5000 3-7 megapixel photos

iDVD sucks. It takes forever to encode--12 hours last time. I have to keep my movies under 1 hour or they don't ever come out. Sometimes the menus are scrambled.

The bottom line: If you're looking to do movies and stuff with iMovie and iDVD, get as much speed as you possibly can afford.

3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Could a g3 733mhz with about a 768mb of ram run iLife apps decentley?

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

What G3 machine ran at 733mhz? Do you have a G4 machine at 733mhz?
    I have a iMac G3 at 700mhz, it runs iTunes fine, iPhoto performance is decent. iMovie is a bit slow but is functional, I can't run iDvd on this machine, and garage-band won't run on my machine either.