Macs and Mormons, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by princealfie, Apr 4, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Just wanted to inform you that Powermac G5 were used to create a LDS documentary mentioned at: http://www.apple.com/pro/film/rowland/ which is way cool! Shake things up...

Any other LDS guys here using Apple on this forum? :):D

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'm not LDS, but I live in Salt Lake, so close enough. ;)

I'm Mormon by association. :)

3. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Same here. Not Mormon but looooove my Macs.

Let us hope that Macs weren't used to edit those travesties of film: The RM, Church Ball and The Singles Ward (I say that as a Film Studies Major, not as a Mormon basher).

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Indeed, the only two good movies from the LDS community are "States of Grace" and "Brigham City"... Ironically, both by Richard Dutcher.

The best LDS filmmaker in Hollywood is still Neil Labute. Man, he can pack a serious punch.

6. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Richard Dutcher came to my screenwriting class and and gave a talk. He's a cool cat. I'm gonna have to go with Hal Ashby as the best LDS filmmaker although I'm sure the LDS community wouldn't want to claim him as one of their own.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, count me in too. I don't live in Utah, though.
    That was a good article about the film. I'm dying to learn Shake myself...

8. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I'm Mormon, and a Mac user by association (the hubby).

Don't care for Richard Duscher's movies (especially God's Army), but he can keep trying.

As for other Mormon movies....

I refuse to see anything more from the creators of "Singles Ward." That movie was mildly funny in parts, but you can only take so much for so long of the weird culture these movies portray.

After seeing a snippet of the bad acting in "Book of Mormon Movie" I realized I had already seen too much of that one, and will not see the rest. This is definitely one of those "the book is so much better" things.

I wouldn't mind seeing "Saints and Soldiers" and possibly "Work and the Glory" (I'm still debating on that one).

9. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

The sad part about the whole LDS cinema trend is that the crappy "2 hours of Mormon inside jokes" movies are highly popular and make decent money (for a small local movie) while Dutcher actually goes out there and tries to make decent movies that, while predominately showing the LDS faith, have a much broader appeal to all faiths and his movies sit unwatched in movie theatres.

It goes to show what a cruel bitch movie making is. It really makes me wonder about my educational choice.

10. Sirin macrumors member

Sirin

Maybe THIS is what will help Steve keep the PowerPC flames burning a little bit longer. :)

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

even better...

Believe Different™

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

13. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Not a mormon film in the sense that it is about mormons and mormon culture, but it was made by mormons.

I'm LDS. Gotta agree with floriflee about the suck fest that is Hale Storm Entertainment (Singles Ward, etc.). Can't stand those movies. I did quite enjoy Brigham City though. I have heard very good things about Saints and Soldiers.

14. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

hello kgarner,

how are you liking that mac mini? I am tempted very much to grab one this summer!

AW

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I agree that Dutcher's movies definitely have more mass appeal than the stupid Mormon comedies that have been made as of late, and honestly, I have no idea why the comedies do so well (must be all the weirdos in "Happy Valley" (a.k.a. Utah County) that keep 'em going :)). IMO because of the quantity and popularity of these movies we probably look like we are a bunch of cheesy fops where all we like to do is make fun of our weird idiosynchrasies (sp?)--that we have no real substance or real story to tell. Not to say that we can't do that from time to time, but, moderation, man, moderation!

I have to say I have a dislike for dramatic movies that come off unintentionally as being extremely cheesy. This element still exists somewhat in Dutcher's films (i.e., the ending of "God's Army" where the two missionaries end up getting married after they finish their missions--sorry if I ruined that for anyone who hadn't seen it yet), which is why I tend to be reluctant to watch them. I know it's hard to eliminate the cheese factor completely with some topics, and perhaps I should try to give him more credit and be more willing to watch his films since he is trying to not isolate himself to just the Mormon community. I guess that will be my food for thought when his next film comes out.

16. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Hence the reason for such wacky phrases being used in the movie... like "Freakin' Awesome!" :)

17. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Sorry, but all the mormons I know are PC fanboys. Sigh. :(

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, I agree as well. Singles Ward was such a pile of cheese I couldn't bring myself to watch any of the other films they put out. I'm not really your typical Mormon anyway and I don't really identify with their inside jokes.
    Saints and Soldiers was really good, and it was interesting for me because I didn't know it was a Mormon film until after I saw it (I kinda guessed halfway through, though). I think it made for a better cinematic experience that way.

19. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, I know, me too. It sucks. Hopefully that will change someday.

20. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

There is hope... The hubby's old roommates in Baltimore were all Mormon. When he first moved in only one of them was a Mac user. By the time he moved out about two years later he and another roommate had converted to Macs, making the ratio of Macs to Windows in that household of four guys 3:1. Not bad odds.

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Much better CubaTBird! ;) :)

22. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The Singles Ward and it's ilk did not make Mormons look like silly fops, but foppish dandies. :) Brigham City was somewhat painful to watch. I saw it when I was working in Scotland for a summer (it was raining real heavy and nothing else was on). I'll give credit where it is due and admit it is oriented at a broader audience, but not much beyond the touched by a Mormon community. It still had its share of references - difficult to get away with without explaining when you aren't the Catholic church....and even then it would be nice for people to understand religions before judging movie portrayals.I found Stigmata to be pretty provoking

Like flori said, my roommate converted me, but I have become the zealot. But, I was a PC fanboy before I met him. All my friends from (yes I went there) BYU are pretty into their PCs. But, their doting of their kids and ElEd wives will bring them over :D. Oh and my brother-in-law does something at the CS department at the U, so their house is full of Macs. He's so used to the Mac lifestyle, he let me open his MBP. It was so cool....my PB was a refurb...

Oh - I'm a Mormon.

23. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Don't forget "Gosh!"

24. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I'm a convert to both and couldn't be happier! :D

My conversion rate is much higher in regards to Mac's though. I've converted 14 people to Apple in the short three years I've owned Macs. ;)

25. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I'm not a Mormon, but I'm wondering:
    do any of you guys who are Mormons watch that show on HBO? What's it called..."Big Love" maybe? What do you think of it?