Macs and Music

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Anyone here play an instrument of some sort?

I have been looking at my old keyboard that I bought about six years ago. It has a MIDI feature on it that I've never tried out. Would a keyboard that old interface with a modern Mac and does anyone know any good Mac compatible MIDI hardware interface thinges (I'm new to MIDI ;) ) ?

I tried playing drums once but all I seemed to do was make random noises. Ah well.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I play bass, but I'm also a studio engineer and I lecture in Music/audio tech.

Any MIDI keyboard will interface with a MIDI enabled system, MIDIman doa range of cheap 1 or 2 in and out USB interfaces that'll get your keyboard talking to the Mac, but you'll need an app to record the MIDI info, and maybe to do a little audio to.

Standard low end stuff includes Cubasis or it's big brother Cubase, but there are plenty of low-end sequencers that'll get you moving.

OSX includes core MIDI services that make connection to MIDI gear very easy, as long as your interface speaks OSX.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

used to play the flute... haven't picked one up in ages, think about it every now and then tho...

pnw

4. PeterVanTassel macrumors newbie

My friends & I are mostly djs/producers, all mac based. It's totally a great environment & way to work, especially if you've ever done any "old fashioned" recording/editing (tape splicing...uhhhhh).
    I use peak to record, cubase for sequencing, but have experience with pretty much all types o stuff. There's actually some pretty good share/free ware for that stuff, too if you're just getting started.
    But I gotta say, there's nothing like going from concept to demo cd in less than an hour...used to take me days. And being able to record/duplicate/design/finish cds all in my apartment has saved me so much freaking money (and made me plenty) that it is rediculous.

5. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

uuuh, finally a decent musician thread :D

da rig:

I play bass guitar: Warmoth Jazz Bass (main), Fender Japan Flametop Precision Bass (backup), self modded Squier Musicmaster (special)... I also use an oldskool Micromoog for some basslines.

the entire stuff runs through a couple of FX-boxes so that I can use them in different combinations (Big Muff -> Boss Fuzz -> Tube Overdrive -> DOD envelope follower -> Dunlop Bass WahWah -> 19" MAM Warp9 Wasp Filter), and than through my 1st generation SWR Workingman's 300 amp and 4x10" enclosure.

I also have a MPC 2000xl that I sometimes use for triggering samples and loops

haha, I also used to play Theremin (I have one that I built myself from a Bob Moog Big Briar Kit and that I mounted on a microphonstand...), but I rarely do that anymore...

I guess DJing with my Powerbook does not count, does it???

vSpacken

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Funny thing, I just had a conversation with Moxiemike yesterday about my curiosity in music with my Macs. I'm not a musician, never have taken any music lessons, so I know I'm not the ideal candidate for such a thing. I do want to find another form of expression though.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

wow...i'm boring...i play the piano, and badly too lol

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Play piano, saxophone and clarinet, but it's been ages since I've really played them. The piano sits in my house badly out of tune. At least it now matches my voice :D

My father, who is 72 after playing bass guitar and upright bass for years, decided to take piano lessons a few years ago, and is taking music composition classes at his local community college. He has several keyboards hooked up to his Mac. He has been using Sybalius (sp?), but is probably going to sell a few things and use Logic.

9. PeterVanTassel macrumors newbie

Sure, why not. i know a few folks that do that using Stanton's finalScratch...probably the wave of the future for DJs, its really pretty impressive.

10. iGav macrumors G3

Guitar... mainly rhythm guitar with a Rickenbacker 330 as I can't solo for jack!! :( :D

Can also hold down a 4/4 on the drums, and that's the limit of my drumming :D

I'm also the finest one string bass player in the world... but for some reason I can't add the extra strings to this unique talent!! :eek: :D :p

Can use Cubase and Logic though with no real problems...! makes me sound far more talented than I actually am as well!! heh-heh!!

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Cool, I love the Jazz bass style, I had a jazz for a while, lovely neck, but I sold my 4 string basses whenI went to 5, I have a Warwick Thumb 5, an '87 with a through neck and the offset EMG's, I wanted a fretless version, buut the one I saw was destined for Jack Bruce, and he wouldn't sell it.

Those SWR's are nice in the studio, the Redhead is excellent, but find they don't have the grunt for a big gig. I've used Ampeg SVT3's for years, with the Ampeg 8x10, nothing like 10" speakers for that B string:D

Oh, and playing other peoples recordings doesn't make you a musician or a producer;) ;) ;)

(runs and hides):D

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I've played bass since i was 11 years old. Did the upright thing in high school. Fell out of touch with it. Which sucks. I want a new one so bad!

I currently have a 1969 Jazz Bass, a 1962 Fender Precision Reissue (for sale!) a Dearmond MT75 (sparkle blue with tremolo, for sale also!) and a Rickenbacker 360, fireglo, that is absolutely awesome.

I've been using Reason a ton, it's absolutely amazing and is perfect for stuff our band does. Also been getting into Logic and Traktor as well.

13. MacManDan macrumors 6502

I am (err ... was) a violinist but I've done some audio mixing too. I dropped playing the violin when I went to college ... there's just so little time up there ..

vollspacken: is the theremin as hard to play as it looks???? I've heard it's hard as all heck to hold any sort of tune. Aren't there something like 2 or 3 players in the world who really know their stuff on that thing? :confused:

14. iGav macrumors G3

I stand behind ye' beating a drum in agreement... ;) :p :p :p

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    classically trained as a pianist but thru the years i've lost most of my chops...that's what jingle work will do to you.:(

taught myself bass about a decade ago and made my living as a bassist for quite a while. have a custom pair of music man basses( fretted/fretless), washburn ae40 acoustic bass( great for macca style stuff), an old jazz special thats been retired( my daughter "plays" that when she visits the studio) and an old tele deluxe that just sounds better and better with age.

once i started a family the touring stopped so now i sit in my studio with a mac, digital performer, reason and asst outboard gear writing/mixing/producing.

i love my mac. :)

16. pEZ macrumors 6502

Clarinet, played for 9 years and I still play in a UW-Madison University band, just for kicks. No time for real hardcore playing as an engineering major.

And I'll be using my mac to compose music with Finale 2004, as soon as 2004 comes out later this summer, and assuming it supports OS X....hint hint....

17. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'm a percussionist in our High School Band, I play Bass Drum during marching Band and Piano during Jazz Band. I have to admit that while I can play all of the percusion instruments, my favorite is the Timpani (or is it Tympani). I'm the best at it.

18. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

For the benefit of a friend who'd like to get started with music on the Mac, are there any recommendations (software/equipment)? I think he's got an old keyboard and is currently noodling around on Windows. Budget is *extremely* tight, unfortunately.

19. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Try www.osxaudio.com. They have forums over there, and they are open to questions.

20. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

once fender, always fender... :D

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yeah, I used to think that till I went looking for the 5 string, I tried everything on the market at the time (around 1988) and went with the Warwick cos the neck had a very similar profile to my jazz at the nut, although it gets wider and flatter after the 12th fret.

I've got small hands for a bass player, and the Warwick was the only 5 string I felt comfortable with.

22. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i play bass, fretless 5, fretted 4, and upright. i also play sax, piano/keyboard, and a little guitar. i compose music with Logic on the Mac and very rarely record any "real" instruments nowadays.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

No, I don't play an instrument.... in a conventional sense.... I would say I'm a vocalist - I use my voice as an instument.

Well, I guess I just really love to sing. I don't sing for other people though. I got choosen for a solo to sing in front of 500 people at my old school :eek: (in 5th grade), that was pretty scarry. And I had about 90 million solo's for my role in 42nd street because one of the characters couldn't sing so I got all his solos :rolleyes: (8th grade). I had a solo part in a choir show back in 7th grade which was a 2 week long trip and we stopped at various schools and churches to put on our show. It was a blast. But that is all the singing I've done in front of people, everything else is just singing alone or around people.

I love to sing, although I don't think I'm that good of a singer. I think I lost a lot of my singing ability when I went through puberty. Oh well, I could care less what it sounds like, I don't sing to please other people ;).

I also play the kazoo :D.

scem0

24. PeterVanTassel macrumors newbie

Don't know if that was aimed at me...but you're right. Just like owning a musical instrument doesn't make you a musician. ;) But creating new music does...and that's what I refer to when I say "producer"...you know, studio, mics, samples, notation, keyboards, drum kits. Is there a better word? Also, although I wouldn't consider being a DJ as being a musician, it is a good way to express yourself through music and to put your own "spin" on it (if one does more than just play one song after another or play a preassigned play list)... ALso, a good pro Dj does need to know quite a bit about musical rythms, chords, structure, etc & have a massive amount of coordination when scratching, etc, which I would say put them a little higher on a musical hierarchy (since you conceive of one) than a beginning hack instument player. O course, music is for everybody, not just the cool & talented, remember? ;) :rolleyes:

But anyway, the point was that everything I do that involves music, whether just recording a mix to get new gigs or recording songs to ideally get signed but at least to express myself, I do on a mac. Do others here do the same? If so, how/with what?

25. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Not really aimed at anyone, but I see many people who call themselves producers who don't produce sh*t, music tech is responsible for the degradation in the quality of music generally, as any talentless fool can put together a tune in minutes on a computer.

The problem isn't the fool, no, he's as welcome to make his music as Django Rhienhart was, it's that the record companies that buy cheap crap by the bucketload rather than take the time and effort to develop artists with true talent and longievity.

You are right to say that music is for everyone, but great music is the domain of the talented and dedicated musician, and twatting about with cubase and a few soft synths does not make you a musician... IMO... rant over.