Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
what do you listen to while you're working on your mac?

when i'm burning files or printing then its The Crystal Method's "tweakend".

when i was doing my taxes last weekend nothing captured the doom and gloom as well as ballads by Chet Baker.( he makes bb king sound absolutely giddy...)

when i'm in the house i choose a more child-friendly fare-maybe " a child's garden of songs" or some david wilcox or john mayer or kasey chambers.

any recommendations?

:cool:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Rats! I was goingto post something like this earlier :)

I, myself, am an mp3 junkie, and for my age of 16, I would say that it is pretty appropriate.

I have put my favorite songs on a CD:
(1) Rollin' by Limp Bizkit (Remix with profanity removed)
(2) It's Goin Down by X-Ecutioners with Linkin Park (Remix with 20 seconds and middle part removed) (longer version)
(3) With You by Linkin Park
(4) Here to Stay by -------- (The actual song will come out on CD in July. The version I have is the one from the radio and is completely censored out.)
(5) Keep Away by --------
(6) The Way You Like It by Adema (Censored)
(7) Breakdown by Tantric (Remix an echo effect and a small part in the middle removed)
(8) Boom by P.O.D (Remix with beginning changed around)
(9) Crawling in the Dark by -------- (Remix with HEL plus L removed)
(10) In the End by Linkin Park (Remix with a certain phrase blanked out)

And I have been able to do all of this editing myself by using iMovie and iTunes.

My most recent favorite is the Here to Stay song, which hasn't officially been released yet.

I also have a few Incubus songs, some Three Doors Down, and a few from Moby.

There are also a few bands I haven't listed, because I would prefer not to. If you want to know how you can edit or remix songs ask me, because I don't want to start another long post without permission.

Besides, I need to work on getting losts of posts!

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
music...what would I do without it?!

john mayer is pretty good man....new & upcoming...

I have about 1100 mp3's on my TiBook...

favs can be: depeche mode, poe, better than ezra, garbage, bt, paul oakenfold, frank sinatra, duke ellington, dave matthews band....the list goes on and on...

basically I have a fairly broad spectrum of musical genres...new age, rock, alternative, techno, house, jazz, acid jazz, easy listening....no rap or country though....

actually....now that I come to think of it...iTunes is the absolute first application launched whenever I start either system up (X or 9)... :p

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
First I'll responded to what others have posted:

3rdPath: Who, who, who and who?

King Cobra: Why, why, why and why?

;)

As for me, I'm mostly a hard rock, heavy metal, goth/industrial kinda guy. Lately I've been listenting to a lot of Megadeth (in rememberance sense they broke up after Dave's career ending(?) injury) and Kidney Thieves (a great industrial band w/female lead vox). Of course w/winamp (I'm in the proccess of setting up my new/first Mac) set on "random" I get everything from Johnny Cash to Sisters of Mercy to the Muppets (Muppet Movie soundtrack).

Lethal

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I listen to just about everything, except metal and rap. I'm running iTunes on my TiPB and have several Gig of songs, and I'm always adding more. A TiPB would be the ultimate iPod.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
lethal---a quik description

john mayer-new young singer songwriter. kinda dave mathews like but more traditionally pop. his song " 3 x 5 " just kills.

david wilcox-another singer songwriter-been around a long time-has never hit it big but is just an amazing storyteller. his new greatest hits record has a good smattering of his extensive output.

kasey chambers-female country singer from australia. not the pop crud thats being called country these days. her voice is just too sexy-and that nose ring...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
You asked for it...

I'll formally challenge eye' as the most eclectic listener here (and if you beat me, then you are nuts!)

Let's start chronologically...

Classical and Opera -
Everything from Chopin to Strauss to Beethoven to Mozart to Wagner...

1900-30s and 40s -
Big band (especially Sinatra), jazz and blues

50s -
Doo Wop and Motown

60s - 70s -
Classic rock (Pink Floyd, CCR, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc.)

80s -
Suprisingly the 80s never really stuck to me (considering I was born in '78), but I'm having fun reminiscing with classic dance tunes (Depeche Mode, Toto, Oingo Boingo, Wang Chung, Devo)

90s -
Well, the 90s got weird in terms of the explosion of rap and hip-hop so hold on...
Rap - Notorious BIG, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, LL Cool J, Bone-Thugs-n-Harmony
R&B - Boys II Men, Mariah Carey, Brian McKnight, Shai, Eric Benet (Halle Berry's hubby)

Current -
Since I lived in Hawaii, I've got a pretty good collection of music from there, such as: Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (Braddah Iz, for short), Keali'i Reichel, Hapa, Keola Beamer and some good Slack Key guitar stuff...
I've gotten into George Winston lately...fantastic solo piano player.
Booby McFerrin blows me away with his vocal ability, so I've got some of his acapella stuff and and some classical stuff with Yo-Yo Ma...got some of his solo cello stuff, too.
I'm also into Dave Matthews Band, Moby, BT, Faithless, Train, Barenaked Ladies, Maxwell, Marilyn Manson, Harry Connick Jr., ...I could go on, and on, and on....

Since I'm into singing, pretty much any good singer/lyrics does it for me...

Phew...anyone top that? :D

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
So let me ask your opinions - is rock & roll dead? I'm not talking punk rock, or metal, or "modern rock" - I'm talking rock & roll. It seems as if it is all but a faint glimmer of its '60s and '70s brilliance, with only a few British bands like Oasis, BRMC, and OCS keeping it alive. And the Black Crowes being the only pure American rock & roll band I can think of... unless you want to consider Radiohead, Stereophonics, Travis, the Strokes, U2, the Charlatans, or R.E.M. "rock & roll"... which is not to say I don't love those bands, indeed I do (well, more than half of them), but they don't seem very rock & roll to me.

Alex

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Music ou ur mac

I have 1400 song (and growing) And like how many million people out there steal music. But since the Gov't doesnt care, doesnt matter. Now I'd be willing to end my R.I.A.A. boycot if the just did that price reduction. I meanwhere I am its between 13 and 20 dollar for a cd i mean come on. As for taste I listen to most things classical, Some of the 60's classic rock, No Disco ugh just ugh, some 80's music but not much. Some rap, Alterntive, some Punk, industrail, metal. Alot more that ive forgotten. Um and for the doesnt matter part under stealing Music. I have great respect for artists and musicians (well most) but the figures show that most get like 10 cents for a cd so that extra money is juststore/ record industry sluch fund since cds cost next to nothing to
produce.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Heh.

I think I could probably top it, but I'm sure someone here could top me too. :D

Iz is super cool. I originally got into him when that internet toy company put his Somewhere Over the Rainbow in their ad. So groovy.

If your into George Winston (I love him) you should check out George Shearing. Especially his older stuff (George Shearing Trio era), he's an incredible jazz pianist.

I'm also really into fingerstyle guitar. Leo Kottke anyone? How about Michael Hedges, John Fahey, Billy McLaughlin? Or flamenco guitar. Carlos Montoya and such. I'm addicted to the stuff.

Or classic R&B? The Spinners, Ray Charles (real early--Atlantic years), Bill Withers, James Brown, Shuggie Otis.

And piano rockers. Bruce Hornsby, Ben Folds, Steve Winwood (Traffic rocked!! Blind Faith too.), Phish, and Ray Charles again (can't get enough of him!).

Thats who I'm listening to now.

Matthew

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Man I love music ( doesn't everybody)
I have 400 mp3s (I'm lagging behing the rest of you)
I have heaps of limp bizkit , linkin park, snoop dogg, dr dre, eminem
wait I'll show you a picture of em all
well its not all but you can see most of em
I still have to rip about 20 CDs onto my computer, but I do that when I get my new imac ( 2 or 3 days to go)
I have lots of Social distortion,
I love em to death, they rock so hard and heaps of other rap and R&B stuff to go on there

Attachments

• my music.jpg
    my music.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 258

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
i was gonna try to top it

but i just don't have the strength....but i'll give a short list of my fav's:

bach, mozart, samuel barber, gershwin, bill evans, odds, gabby pahinui, stevie ray vaughn, chet baker, billie holiday, david wilcox, elton john, wendy carlos, ray charles ,the beatles, crystal method, kasey chambers, innio morricone, gabriel yared, ( lost my place-i was watching the osbournes...)jimmy smith, ryan adams and thats just what i listened to this week....to be continued.:D

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
what!!!!!

not one single mp3
get a CD out now a rip just one track
you will feel in and hip :D

nahh don't worry noby gonna critisice you for not having any

Do you have a big CD collection?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by alex_ant
King Cobra, why is all your music censored? What's wrong with words like **** and **** and ass and bitch and ****? Have you never heard them before, or what? :)

Alex

Easy, big guy.

I have heard of them before. He!!, I even swear every hour that I am awake :)

It's just that a break from all the profane music would be nice, especially if company comes over to the house and happens to hear the music I play.

However, there is some level of profanity and graphic language that goes too far. My father let me listen to his copy of EMINEM...terrible! The profanity and extremely graphic sounds were beyond what I could handle.

So I simply listened to non-profane music. And any music that is profane I censor in iMovie.

Besides, it's fun.

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will have performed 15 billion more float point operations than a consumer PC.

Ifeelbloated

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2002
some God forsaken place
I'll listen to just about anything depending on my mood. Anything but hip-hop rap and most country music. Then I'm howling for mercy. I've been listening to 'Tantric' a lot lately. I like that heavy acoustic D-tuned guitar sound. I use to listen to metal but I can't anymore, I go for hard rock. That's the limit. I'm getting old. Plus, I have tinnitus. Was in the Army and went to a few very freakin' loud rock concerts.

afonso

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
San Francisco
ohhhh i just love music

i usually use my hi-fi instead of the computer, as mp3 have crap quality compared to normal cd quality...

anyway, what i like and love, in no particular order:

velvet underground, lou reed, ryan adams, gomez, radiohead, pj harvey, portishead, nick drake, nick cave, stone roses, white stripes, strokes, ben harper, kings of convenience, cranes, etc etc

I could go on and on... i spend all my money on cds ;) hehe

Take care,
Afonso

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
music

to rower: you think marilyn manson is a good singer and/or has good lyrics? that is scary. though i could see if you meant a "frightening" singer or has "scary, evil" lyrics.. sure. ha

king cobra: there is plenty of good music that doesn't have profanity you could find from places other than the radio. if you are anti-profane music it seems weird to me that you'd still listen to those particular artists which is in effect supporting the profanity.

myself, i listen to tons of thing. the hardcore/punk music i listen to have some profanity occasionally, but not with the context of some rappers as far as graphic type profanity.

some favorite bands: sense field, farside, shelter, bane, boy sets fire, power of dreams, ghost of an american airman, u2, toad the wet sprocket, stretch arm strong.. etc

oh yeah, not sure about "true" rock and roll. but i do know that u2 is not american regardless of if they are rock and roll or not...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
jelloshotsrule, I don't necessary support artists on the basis of profanity. If I hear a song on the radio that I like, because of its beat and tune, I will have it as soon as possible.

And the CDs that I have for some of the modern bands (only 5 CDs!) have no profanity in them. So manily I support anti-profane musics.

Glad you pointed that out though. It brought my posts to 200. :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
king

the other thing that struck me as odd was that your dad had eminem! haha.

i have often pictured my parents, two middle aged white folk, riding in a low rider singing gin and juice by snoop dogg. my mom singing "rolling down the street smoking indo, sippin on gin and juice" and my dad throwing in the deep voiced "laid back" and they end it singing "with my mind on my money and my money on my mind" together.

ha. i'm just a freak.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: music

Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
to rower: you think marilyn manson is a good singer and/or has good lyrics? that is scary. though i could see if you meant a "frightening" singer or has "scary, evil" lyrics.. sure. ha

Yeah...he's a slightly different case...I actually like his lyrics for their uniqueness and counter establishment themes...

And it's fun to listen to freaky stuff now and then! :D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: Re: music

Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Yeah...he's a slightly different case...I actually like his lyrics for their uniqueness and counter establishment themes...

And it's fun to listen to freaky stuff now and then! :D

too bad his idea of counter establishment is sexual assault and things of that sort... but freaky stuff. that's definitely what he is.

there's a lot of good anti establishment lyrics in punk/hardcore style. without the scare factor! ha. to each his own

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.