macs and musical instruments

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 24, 2002.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

hi, i used to sing for a punk rock band from '95-'98

before that, i alternated in singing, playing keyboards, playing guitar, playing bass, and playing drums all the way back to 1976...but mostly i played guitar

right now i have an ltd/esp viper 301 electric guitar and a casio electronic keyboard

my influences are john denver, jim croce, abba, kiss, the beatles, the stones, the go-go's, the bangles, U2, Les Paul, the indigo girls, L7, bebop jazz, the offspring, and opera

that spans the major bands/artists i followed from age 12 to twenty-five+ years later

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've never really gotten into the music aspect of macs. I played Sax and Clarinet as a kid, and I understand the basics of music. I'd love to get a midi keyboard (my wife would love it too, she used to play a lot when she was younger). What would be a good set up?

3. macrumors 68030

britboy

I used to play the bass guitar for a band at my church, 1998-2000. I then got a bit bored of it, and moved to the rear to control the PA and powerpoint presentations. It was more fun that way, as i got to watch others make mistakes. Best part: if a singer was bad, i could turn the mike volume down :D

4. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

korg workstations or yamaha workstations did it for me and others in the old days...but not sure what is hip today with midi keyboards

5. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've always wanted to play drums...

but I've never played a musical intrument in my life...

people tell me that I look like I'd be a drummer though...he he he...:D

6. macrumors 68040

mac15

I can't play anything.......
    so maybe I should sing.......;)

7. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Clarinet and tenor Sax in elementary school.

I started to learn piano but never went far, and it's been one of my goals to go back and teach myself.

I sung choir in high school, bass/baritone. I love singing, especially a good Sinatra tune!:D

8. macrumors regular

Guitar! Guitar! Guitar!

The best invension of all time, the guitar!

I play my Gibson Gothic almost evryday and I can't get enough.

Jef, jus wondering...wat was the name of your group, i might've heard of em.
    I hear alot of underground punk.

9. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the punk band i was in during the 90s was turn

www.turnrock.com

i am in the first area of pix, from 96-98

the last pix from that gallery is the group of instruments we used then...sigma cutaway dreadnaught acoustic guitar, an ibanez joe satriani, ibanez x-destroyer, jackson rhandy rhoads professional v, gibson les paul custom, no-name p-bass, and fender american standard stratocaster

if you are interested in guitars, read some of my reviews on www.epinions.com and i am jefhatfield there, too

gibson gothic guitars are really cool...i have played the sg model and i like its simplicity and ease of playability...the pix of orville on the back of the headstock is spooky:p

10. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    cool pics jef!

i've been playing keys and bass forever it seems. my first keyboard set-up was a minimoog, clavinet and a b3 in 1977( i was 16). wish i still had those puppies:( besides a stint in college for a business degree( and serious thought of law school) i've always played music.

i was in one r&b cover band early on and after that have only done originals...just never felt right playing other people's songs. toured a lot. now i sit on my butt in front of my mac and...well...make music.

i love all types of music-my favorite artists(the ones i steal most liberally from...) are the beatles, u2, crystal method, gershwin, BT( his new loop cd is the freakin best!) john/taupin, the vaughn brothers, odds, david wilcox, morricone, herrman, bob marley, bill evans, chet baker and , of course, the fathers of pop music-bach and mozart.

my favorite bass is my musicman stingray and my favorite guitar is my 72 tele deluxe( factory stock with twin humbuckers, strat neck/headstock and tele body...it never sounds the same twice).

where would we be without music? i don't wanna know.

11. macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I started with piano and trumpet way back when...

Then guitar...

and now for the last 8 years or so I've been playing the bass.

Actually I just bought a new Ibanez 5 string two days ago, with an Ampeg combo. Sounds sweet!

I've even dabbled with the drums. I played drums for a punk band back in college. What fun!!

-Pete

12. macrumors 601

krossfyter

man dualburn a gibson gothic!!!! thats one of my favorite guitars. when i first saw that.... i was like "finally" .

i play a gibson les paul gold top. ive been in numerous rock bands in my area. i usually play rythm and sometimes switch to lead. my musical influences are ...... stavesacre, incbus, deftones, helmet, rage against the machine and u2. im starting to learn some jazz techniques by the way. all in all im okay. i probably could be better but i dont care. i just like to jam...its a rush to do it on stage in front of people. i usually care more about creative riffs, licks and sounds...etc. etc. more than technique. tom morello really influences me as far as that goes. him and the edge are own.

13. macrumors 6502

i play double bass, tenor & soprano sax, piano a bit, sing a bit, clarinet... etc. oh, flute in primary school.

oh, my dinner is ready. must go.

14. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

didn't anyone realize this?!

now we know what jefhatfield looks like!! :D ;)

15. macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: didn't anyone realize this?!

Is he the one wearing the batman t-shirt under a white jacket? he he, i like the third picture from the top :D

16. macrumors 68020

Beej

I play guitar, but man, what I wouldn't give to sing... I might even give up my Mac for a good voice...

I'll post a pic of my axe later.

17. macrumors 65816

Taft

Fingerstyle guitar. Hours a day. For years.

Try my music. I haven't recorded in a while, but I'll update the page soon with the tons of new music I've got.

Taft

18. macrumors 68030

britboy

Taft~ i've just been listening to your music for the past hour and a half, and i just wanted to tell you that it's really relaxing. You're pretty good on the guitar, and I'm enjoying it.

Thanks for sharing that link.

19. macrumors 68030

teabgs

I taught myself guitar in 7th grade. Last year I decided since I could never find any bass players that I would learn. ALso, I was inspired by discovering how great primus/Les Claypool is.

I've always loved bass and Flea from RHCP has rocked my world since the early 90's.

I havent played eaither in 2 months now...tendonitis....shouldnt be on the computer so much.

Oh well, therapy helps a lot though! One day I shall play again...

20. macrumors 65816

Taft

Thanks! A lot of people say that it is very relaxing.

I'm going to try to break into somewhat more heavy stuff when I record next time. So it'll sound more like Metallica...j/k. But it will be a bit more uptempo and heavier.

Thanks again.

Taft

21. macrumors G3

I love the guitar..... I used to own a Gibson Les Paul, and a Rickenbacker 330 in Fireglo, truely a beautiful guitar and in my opinion the best rhythm guitar available....... I used to play in a band about 7 years ago.... great fun at the time, I just wouldn't have time though now.....

Sold both of the guitars though..... :( a move that I deeply regret....... I'd like to buy another Rickenbacker one day, maybe a 12 string and even though I'm not a fan of Fender guitars.... I really wouldn't mind a Fender Jagstang either!!

22. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    nothing like the pangs of regret over sold guitars.( or keys for that matter).
    i sold a bunch when i hit hard times in '93...drag, drag, drag.

on the bright side, there are still bunches of them out there and some of the new ones are great. i still can't pass a pawn shop or jumble without taking a look for some old guitar or amp. sometimes i get lucky. i still regret passing up a gibson explorer( a REAL vintage '50's one) in a pawnshop in dallas. it was $800.00, which was a lot of bones at the time, but someone bought it and resold it to billy gibbons for mult-multi thousands. i could put my daughter thru college with it now.:)

23. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

tenor/countertenor here.

im being classically trained as a tenor, countertenor is what i do for fun. being a music major is scheduling hell, but i think well worth it.

so my instrument would be...my voice.

24. macrumors 68020

mymemory

I changed my Legos for an Atari computer and then for a Casio MT 40 (I think) midi keyboard.

I start playing with an Atari computer, a Rolnad JV-80 and a Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler with a band live. The Atari computer could handle just 2 midi songs in ram (the sampler had more memory). Then I got my first mac that was a powerbook 5300 in wich I ran Performer 5.01. using a Midi Time Piece 2.

Then I sold that computer (not to long ago actually) but I had a Power Mac 9600 and a beige G3 desktop.

Right now I have a Roland VJ 90/ 1080/ JP 1080/ Kurweil K2500R, Alesis DM5 and a MTP XT.

I did more 10 years ago with my old equipment than what I am doing right now. :(

25. macrumors regular

I've been playing guitar for 22 years now. I had a band for the last couple of years of college then just played with friends for a few years after that. For the last 7 years I've played off and on with some other friends in another band. My main guitar is a late 60's Gibson ES-345. I love that thing.

iGav that hurts. Those are two guitars I'd love to get. I have a late 60's Rickenbacker 360-12 that I got for $500 out of the paper a while ago. I don't think I could ever sell it.