macs and politics, v.2

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 13, 2002.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

2. macrumors 65816

cleo

3. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

well, all i know that is I HATE Tony Blair because he is doing a BAD job of running out country, and basicly he is never actually in our country.

This is what I want:
    • Remotely decent Railways
    • Good NHS
    • Student Grants (Not Loans)
    • No EURO!

I suppose I have to except the € but that doesn't make me like it (It will cause damage to out country)

Ensign

4. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I knew I had this picture somewhere:

Attached Files:

5. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i liked mr blair's speech when the 9/11 attacks hit us

i don't know his politics, though

6. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

He seemed to handle Sept. 11th very well, but his internal runnings of the country is poor. It is mostly because he is just an actor controled by 2 other men who really run out country.

Ensign

7. macrumors 65816

cleo

Blair's a bit conservative for my tastes, but I can say one thing. He is a very intelligent, wel-spoken individual - much more than can be said for the leaders of other world superpowers! ::cough::

8. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I personally can not wait until we get a minority and/or female into the office of president.

Preferably, one with a good controversial background.

Hey Cleo, wanna run for office. I'd volunteer to be your VP.

9. macrumors newbie

Euro

And why in the world don't you like the Euro currency? Aren't you European?

10. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

hey you guys, hire me as your chief of anti-zealots:D

11. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Who's Tony Blair?

Sorry just had to say that. But my stance lately on politics has gone down hill lately, especially with the last US election with Bore and Gush.

I'm leaning more towards political apathy, hopefully something will get it going again, and I'm not talking about controversy or sensationalism. A good, charasmatic leader can make a huge difference. They just seem to be in short supply.

12. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Re: Euro

I am not a European, I am English or better yet, British. I dislike the currency (for economic reasons) I could give you several pages of reason why it is a weak currency.

I dislike the idea of a 'Euro Super State' because its only objective (although they will not admit this) is that they want to be bigger than the US.

Ensign

13. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

oh yeah, my other reason is that Tony Blair bums Microsoft, he openly pushes windows in to the faces of the education. He is a control freak although he is a total fake because it is his press office that controls him. Every speech he makes is written by other people, he is not in control of this company. People who offer him money are.

Ensign

14. macrumors 65816

cleo

Re: Who's Tony Blair?

Read Stupid White Men by Michael Moore. Then go run for an elected office. Or at least get involved with a local progressive party and help someone else get elected.

The only people who have a right to complain about the state of our democracy are those who truly participate in it; they don't because they know that it can be changed, and relatively easily.

15. macrumors 65816

cleo

At least he can adequately read and pronounce those speeches, though. :D

16. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Hey, at least you haven't (to my knowledge) had a PM who is a professional actor. We in America were always told that the great thing about our country was that anyone could become President. Now we're all grown up, and we realize (with no small amount of horror) that truly anyone can become President.

The Democrats are currently sending Martin Sheen ("I'm not a President but I play one on TV...") around Florida to campaign for actual candidates. The creepy thing is that there is no doubt in my mind this strategy will work with the American people on the whole.

It's a scary, scary time. Politically, I'm sort of a radical moderate. I think both the right AND the left are trying insanely to drag the country around without giving a moment's rational reflection to the idiotic party lines they toe, and I think followers of both political extremes should be sent to their rooms to think about what they've done.

17. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

OMG, that's so friggin funny. Of course it will work, West Wing is doing good and the name/face recognition is more than enough to get some votes. As president on TV (I don't watch the show) what party does he belong to? I'm guessing Democrat, but it would be funny if he was a Republican.

18. macrumors 65816

cleo

On the show he's a Dem. Hence, campaigning for Janet Reno (perfect logic).

I for one would much rather see Jed Bartlett (Sheen's character) or David Palmer (the candidate on 24) in office than our current "President" Bush. :D

19. macrumors 6502

Hmm currently Im a republican and anti-conservative (?¿) What I mean is I have republican view pointes (Gun Control/Small Gov't./Better Weapons) yet I think both parties have some pretty dumb views. By anti-conservative means I want changes made to the gov't. This is all relating to the U.S. gov't.

20. macrumors regular

The US has had a president that was a professional actor....
    RONALD REAGAN! :D
    Nothin' wrong with that

21. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Save our pound!!! ££££££££££££££'s forever! :D

22. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

23. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject, but even with the euro in circulation, isn't the pound still accepted? And how do you deal with the rate changes between the two currencies?

24. macrumors 6502

yes indeedy.

green and pink.

25. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

nixon and ford were much better presidents...and more alert

and i am a democrat:p