Macs and Sound Quality

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by King Cobra, Apr 13, 2002.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I just happened to be listening to my Pro Speakers while I am typing this...

But I was wondering...what speakers are better than the Pro Speakers that I can hook up to my Mac that are currently up for sale? I want something that can go real loud, have a lot of bass, and also be really compact.

To make this a general topic, what do you use your speakers for? (DVD movies, iTunes, etc.)

Or answer your own questions. Blast away!
  2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Well, I use the Altec-Lansing ACS65i speakers. They put out pretty good sound and of course there's a sub included with the system. I'm not claiming it's the best of systems, but it does the job for me! If I'm listening to music/DVDs on my G4 that I want a REALLY good sound spectrum on, I just turn on my vintage Pioneer SX-950 and power up the Pioneer HPM-100 speaker cabinets sitting on either side of my desk. Those things put out! I sure miss the days of wood and brushed aluminum.

Here's another thread that has some good insights on that sort of stuff too:
    G4 Home Theater
  3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    house rockin...

Cambridge SoundWorks has kick a$$ speakers... I have a set that was plugged into my G4 (before it went to a new home). I was gaming with those the other night, and my downstairs neighbor said he was hearing/feeling the base through the floor (chain gun from Commanche 4 :D ). The speakers have a base control on the subwoofer, as well as a on/off/volume dial that can go wherever you want it. I used to have it attached to the monitor, but it is beside it now, since I had to move things around, and just haven't bothered to put it back. I will be setting up my second set of Cambridge SoundWorks speakers soon (larger satellites and subwoofer). I also have their surround sound system on my tv (DTT3500) and it ROCKS!! Five speakers, front left/right, rear left/right, center and subwoofer. Makes my living room sound like the movie theatre. :D
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I have Bose Acoustamass Multimedia Speakers, which run about $400. The sound quality is phenominal and as for loud, well, I can get things vibrating on the second floor and my speakers are in the basement. And they're great quality aside from the sound. I haven't ever had problems with the connectors, as opposed to some brands.

The subwoofer has all the volume/base/trebble controls, but the units 4 years old. Bose was the first company to come out with the subwoofer as a major part of their system. Go online and check them out, but if you get a chance, go to a Bose store or Best Buy has them as well.

Your best bet is to play with a bunch at a store and see what quality fits in your budget, there are plenty of options.
  5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    ya want loud

i'm using 5( surround) Event Electronics bas20/20 monitors. each one is internally biamped with 200 watts, so thats 1000 watts of clean power for me in the sweetspot. i only have them individually set at "2" ( out of " 10) and i can easily pump 135 -db without breaking a sweat. of course, i usually keep my spl's at around 85-db 'cause anything over that just fatigues my ears. my sub is an older passive jbl that is powered by a pretty basic yamaha amp-bridged at ( i think) 600 watts.

this is all in my isolated/floated studio which is outside of the house so i can be cranking it while playing twisted metal 4 at midnite...machine guns and rockets never sounded so good.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional!:D

p.s. after a good gaming session i have to pick everything up off the floor thats vibrated off my desk....:D
  6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I have a set of the Klipsch 4.1s (rev a; specs:THX-Certified,400 watts,dual 6.5" subwoofer, 29-20,000Hz frequency range, 110dB max) on my PC...they rock...but I would need a 4 point sound card to plug them into on the Mac.
    Anyone know if the Creative cards for the Mac are worthwhile?
  7. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    I have my computer (sometimes)connected to my phillips stereo
    600watts aint bad, plus my panasonic amp helpa lot and doesn't blow my computer to bits:D
  8. stromie952 macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I have the Klipsch 2.1 promedia speakers, very similar to the 4.1 version, except with only 2 satellites instead of 4. They have the best quality I have heard for compuer speakers. You can change the volume and bass levels from the right satellite and I love them so much! They wre definitely worth the $180 I spent on them. You also dont need to plug them in to a sound card, jsut into the headphone port on your computer.

Just my 2 cents.
  9. mc68k macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    I never saw the point in investing in PC speakers, just extra $ and space...

I just run a male->female 1/8 extender from my computer to a RCA->male coming out the AUX in my receiver. This allows me to either plug in my 'pod or my S900.
  10. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    Kenwood XD-752 system:

Attached Files:

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
  12. resm macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2002
    response to King Cobra

one of the best against can get from Cambridge Soundworks.

The first thing I did when I recieved my iMac 800 was to remove the Mac Speakers and connect my Cambridge Speakers .
    They are small, taking not much space and the Woofer goes under the desk
    I use it even as my second stereo system listening to my CD's and watching some DVD's

Mac Speakers (by Kennwood) may look cool but can't deliver