Macs and Space

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, May 8, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, its the final frontier. The human presence will be growing, do you think that macs will be used in space, by the astronauts in the ISS or Space Shuttle in the future, or will this remain a PC environment?

And has a Mac ever made it to space yet? I'm not sure.

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

NASA have taken a mac into space on one of their previous missions. I think it was the tibook. I'll find a link and post it.

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

NEWSFLASH: Apple signs largest interstellar laptop sale in history!

Today on Quentar 5, Apple Computer Inc. from Earth announced that it will supply the Kesteloids system with 42,000,000,000,000 laptops for their advanced Geonautical Physics departments. Steve Jobs the X said that "the sale will effectively banish forever the forces of evil and oppression in universe". In a related story Bill Gates the XV was arrested in Orion on Saturday. He was caught peeping into his neighbors windows while the neighbor was working on his newest test Mac. Mr. Gates was quoted as saying, "I just wanted to see the new OS, I wasn't going to copy it."

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, I do not think so, may be an iPod.

Or may be if NASA plans to lunch a graphic designer to have the "graphic designer point of view". Or may be a 3D animator (sure).

I do not think there is a PC enviroment in the Space Shuttle, I'm sure there was one on the Challeger! (ouch, do not mean to hurt any body)

5. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Ok, i was slightly off :) I'm sure i read about a tibook being taken on one of the shuttles...

Anyway, apple have a G4 server in space. Their mission? To do what no windows server has done before. (not crash ;):D)

http://www.g4store.com/news/skycorp/

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

duke...it's funny that u brought this up...

I was just flipping through the newest MacWorld which came in yesterday and came across this article...

Macs at Work - Flying High

enjoy! ;)

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, I heard about the obiting G4 satellites, forgot about that one. Good find on that britboy!

I would love to see a picture of someone in the ISS with a titanium laptop floating in front of him. Maybe one of the new 'guests' will bring their own. Hell, Apple should drop the money and fly someone up there for 20 million, give him a TiPB, digital camera, DV camera, iPhoto, iMovie and have a whole website with the pics and video.

I volunteer to go!

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

How generous of you ;)

9. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And you would pass on a chance yourself?:D

10. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I found this article, I guess that Apple in space is not that far off now, is it?