macs and tattoos

Discussion in 'Community' started by rainman::|:|, Dec 8, 2003.

1. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

So, it's been over a year since the last tattoo thread, and my poor little ankle lizard is fading already, after only three years-- So I have decided to get it reinked in black, over the henna-red that was before. And I figure, if I'm reinking a small flash, why not get a massive tat up my shoulderblade, down my arm, and down my chest? I'm having one of my favorite artists design it (she and i owned an art studio in the early 80s together)(my mother), hoping to have it inked sometime in early spring. A sort of cracked-earth, geometric design. The preliminary design is rather sci-fi armor looking... all in black. if i can get the design just right, it'll be quite sexy.

Anyone else out there have big tats? I'm wondering about something... how much can be done in one sitting? Assuming an above-average tolerance for pain, do tat artists have limits on this sort of thing? I'm thinking it might take 5+ hrs, and i'm wanting all one sitting.

Post pics if you got 'em, I will once the masterpiece is installed :)

pnw

2. evil macrumors 6502

yeah. my legs and feet are covered in tattoos.dont have any pics though.
    as far as sitting times i think it pretty much is just a matter of preference for the artists. if you want to do a sitting that long you would just have to ask whoever you are going to get tattood by. i still have one sitting left on my leg and ive already been for 4 or 5 sitting at about 3 hours each.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

ha i remember that tat thread, that was just after i started posting here. wow seems like a long time ago, but it really wasn't.

i personally can't say that i like tattoos. I like some of the art that is involved, but i don't like the idea of changing the flesh, and i just plain the think human body looks better without those alterations.

on another note, its really interesting to see peoples tattoos its something they have to live with so they have to choose something they really like, it kinda shows a little bit about the person.

4. judith macrumors regular

judith

I waited, just to be sure, (really, really, sure) until age 27 to get the tat that I wanted since teenagedom (15)
    I did it in a big way not typical of most [women] - Below the sleeve on the top of my (R) forearm.
    I had it done at Lyle Tuttle's place in The North Beach SF. I did have it done all at the same setting, and it is solid filled, about 3" square. It's a very complex design, and took about 5 hours.
    Yes, it was against the wishes of the person who did it, she warned it would bleed me for days. (and it did) In the end tho, very little scar - I was extremely careful to protect it while it healed.
    I have a very high tolerence for pain, and I'd rate it a 2-3, there at the end, it was sore going over and over, but not at all near pain on my scale.
    I have not ever regretted it, although when it comes to parent-teacher conferences and the like, I do wear sleeves. I haven't a need to 'hide' it for employment reasons. (being self-employed for many years now)
    Having recently relocated to Washington State from hotter-than-hell Central Valley, California also makes wearing long sleeves (which really sucks when it's 110 degrees for months on end!)more tolerable, downright comfortable even.:)

I'll run-off and get a pic and post it for y'all -

Like howard said, they show a bit of personality for sure! Mine is always fun for this because some people recognize what it is right-away, and then I also know a bit about them! Most ask me tho, and I rarely tell, usually resorting to my standard "if you don't know then I'm not telling.." They, 9 of ten times guess it's a ninja star - I just let them go ahead and think that!

And Paulwhannel: I just love your philosophy on this: since I have to get this re-inked, why not just get another, or two, or a whole sleeve? :D

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I am suprised to hear about having the tattoo re-inked. My understanding was that once you get a tattoo it's permanent. :confused:

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Reinking is just coloring over it. It just darkens it is all.

I have none. I thought about it, and cannot decide on any reason I'd want one...nor anything I'd want to be branded with. I honestly thought about a smiley face once, but that's about it. ;)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It depends on how complex the design is, if there is a lot of outlining to be done that can take all the time the artist has that day. All of the people I know who have gone big with their tats have had to do multiple sessions.

And find someone who specializes or at least has a good amount of experience in coverup work for your ankle. The guy who re-did my wife's ankle was able to take several different tattoos by different artists and make them virtually invisible in the new design which he was able to work the old pieces in to.

And don't let anyone talk you into a thin-line piece! Pick things that look good with thick outlines so the outlines don't get all fuzzy and indistinct. It sucks on work that was designed to look good with thin, delicate linework. And get some good colors! Show us the pics too.

8. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

the tattoos do need some recoloring. the ink spreads or fades a bit during the years and decades - but it very much depends on you skin type and a lot of otehr factors.

mine isn't big, but it sure is very ... mac. and when i say "kiss my apple" i mean it. ;) too lazy to look for the url of it, it's anyway linked somewhere from my pages.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

looking to get some myself. not "big". but just on each tricep basically..

a quote from a sense field song

"enter faith" on left arm, with some symbol..

"into trust" on right arm, a different symbol

me and moxie have been hammering away at the design for months!. hah

10. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

there's a tattoo ive wanted for years, but can't find the design for it:

some friends of mine have various chinese character tats. very small, but meaningful to them in a certain way (for example, one has "to be a passionate artist" while another has "as a fish loves water"). anyone here know the chinese characters for "free lumber"? seriously. if you know them, post them for me.

11. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm just having it reinked, not reworked, same design but different color. wdlove, as they mentioned, it's just covering it in a new ink-- the henna red will still be there, but obscured by the new black... i think the artist that did it originally went too deep, at least on parts, as it's splotchy now.

there is a small amount of fine-line tattooing that i like, i've seen a tiger that was beautiful... but i'd definitely not have it done. i don't like intricate designs, or lots of color, never been my style. my tat will be solid black shapes, very dramatic-- you'll definitely be able to ID me from a distance :)

huh, sidenote, no more robbing liquor stores :(

pnw

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well I try to keep my identifying marks to a minimum but I did always toy with the idea of getting a tattoo. A few years ago I thought I found the answer with this tattoo ink that only showed up under florecent lights (invisible at the office, but visible at the club). So I get up enough nerve to and go see the people at Way Cool tattoos here in TO. As soon as I mention the ink I want the guy tells me it isn't even legal in Canada, and said it was rumored to cause bad skin reactions, and I'd have to go to a place in the states to get it done. A year after that I find out this is much more than a rumor I'm so glad I didn't get it done. But now I feel I'm getting to old to be getting a tattoo even if there is better ink out there.