Macs and Terrorism

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Jun 10, 2002.

?

How should we handle the war on terror now

1. Nothing, lets just all be friends

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Continue as we are.

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Massive buildup of troops and go after them in huge numbers

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. Nuke em.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Given the new statements from Ossams band of happy men, and the arrest of a known dirty boming plotter, what should the US do now?

Here are a couple of quotes for you.

We have the right to kill four million Americans, including one million children," and it says, "we_have the right to fight them by chemical and biological weapons so they catch the fatal and unusual diseases Muslims have caught due to U.S. chemical and_biological weapons."

Updated: 11:21 a.m. EDT (1521 GMT) -- 10 June 2002

_BREAKING NEWS_

U.S.: 'Dirty bomb' plot foiled
    U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft announced Monday the capture of a "known terrorist" with connections to al Qaeda who allegedly planned to build and explode a radioactive "dirty bomb" in the United States.

What should be our plan of action?

2. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

This is such a hard decision to make. The last 2 movies I've seen both dealt with foreign terrosim, and they both really make u think a lot.

The scary part about going after these groups, is that many of them are widespread around the world. If we get them in one area, it's likely they will have backup in another. And then there's the question of who's linked to whom; who's working for whom?

I think at present, hearing a quote like this shows no mercy upon us; so in essence, why should have mercy upon them? It seems they are very unlikely to ever give up on making us "pay" for our actions as the world's police.

I feel safe as a U.S. citizen because I have strong faith in our powers of govt. & military, but it's still very scary at the same time.

3. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Kill all them bastages... I've said all along that we should bomb the crap out of Afghanistan and put up a parking lot. Make it a testing site for nukes (from all countries) and let them deal with it. Or we could just send over wave after wave of bombers and carpet bomb the place...

"There used to be mountains in Afghanistan?"

4. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Here is my take on the matter.

We messed up in Afganistan. We should have gone in with a force the size of the one from Desert storm. We should have closed the countries boarders ourselves, and used our own troops, not Northern aliance to handle the problems there. Instead, we have another Vietnam where we are relying on the locals to do the fighting for the most part.

Now, how to fix it?

1st) Close our boarders. Sorry folks, especially to all the good people out there that want to come for a visit. See ya when we work out this little roach problem.

2nd) Go after them, the roaches, in huge numbers. Yemin, Saudi Arabia, Solmailia, anywhere they are known to be.

3rd) Give the military the funding they need to win this war, and actually declare a war. Screw the UN and their unconstitutional crap. Declare this a war.

4th) Do what we have to do to protect the welfare, security, and future of the US. Screw what the world thinks, and screw what any Arab country thinks. Take out Saddam, and you solve 90% of the problems. If they don't like it, then kick there A$$ too.

Fire away.

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Until something happens to increase the pressure on us, we should just continue the course we've set after 9/11.

this morning on the radio I heard about the newest warning.

possible nerve gas attack on the metro in DC on the 4th of July

I was expecting that the celebration on the Mall in DC on the 4th would be a likely target. There will be a lot of security, which might put a damper on the whole thing.

Bastards.

6. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Small issue if we did take out that ******* Sadam... The people that would take over are worse then he is. It would cause more problems then it would solve. It would be far easier to just have several bombers 'accidentally' fly over wherever he is and drop their load. Get rid of the entire power structure over there. Then let Israel go in and mop things up. Give them the backing to do it right and be done with the matter. :D

7. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

what a bunch of f***ing cowards!!!

why not give up the pathetic fight and just go live your lives to actually do something constructive god damnit... :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

So... I'm still scratching my head and wondering how the heck the "Macs and" part fits into this...

But while I'm here, I think we should all just sit back and sing "Kum-bay-ya" or however you spell it. But, since terrorists don't know what the word "peace" is or don't grasp the concept of the sanctity of life (ALL life), we have to do what we have to do to keep them in line. Whatever that is, so be it.

9. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I disagree. I think the initial structure of the Bush doctrine was dead on. Defined, and Accurate. It has been bastardized though be pressure from other countries that have their own agenda in the war. We need to stop listening to the whims of other countries that have not lost anything in this war. We need to take a 'first strike' response to the problem and deal with it effectively. Quit making new government bodies to solve the communication problems of current government bodies.

10. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Disagree big time with you on this. He is actually funding the terror attacts in Israel. He has known ties to Osama and he funded the 1st WTC attacks, and we think this one. No one is saying outside of the closed doors of the pentagon. His own intel people said he will have nukes in the next 5 years, and we are sitting on our A$$es because of what France, and Saudi Arabia think! Screw that. Time to lay the smacketh down!

11. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I think the current new body being formed is ideal for the situation, since the threat is still very real. The CIA and FBI simply can't handle everything on their own during this period of change. Back during the depression we saw FDR create all of the "XYZ" agencies, like the "CCC" and "TVA" to help matters when the country needed direction. To me, this is essentially similar and a necessary action. We must be alert at all times, and if this helps facilitate that, I'm all for it.

12. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

What I was saying, is we can't just take out Sadam... we have to remove the power structure that is in place as well. Also we would have to take out the people that would fill the void left by him being gone. IF that is done, then it would all be good (from our side).

Level the cities, and leave the oil fields intact. Let another country that is friendly with the US take over what is left.

13. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'd be way too concerned that if we did take any extreme measures against these people, of what we could possibly start...

nuclear weapons are such a threat to us as they are protection...

if we were to launch a nuclear attack...aside from the innocent lives lost, who woud retaliate upon us?

14. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have to say that I 100% agree with this.
    As far as I can see starting any nuclear war is the begining of the end for the entire world, which really is something that we do not want to get into. The last thing we want is to end up in global nuclear war which is probably what would happen :(
    Do NOT use nukes...pleeeeeease!

15. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

we've got enough issues with India and Pakistan, we don't need to start with the terrorists. The problem is that if a bomb goes off anywhere in the world, it could be a terrorist attack, how would you know though?

Imagine if somehow Osama and crew managed to get a bomb inside Pakistan and it accidently went off? Everyone would think it was India and mass hysteria would follow.

None of this is good....

16. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Look, I am not advocating using nukes at ALL! I just think we have to change the focus and structure of the war itself. Don't factor in what other countries feel about the way we should defend our own borders. The French don't want us going after Iraq. Well, wonder how they would feel, had the planes on 9/11 gone into the Eiffel Tower. Wonder how they would think then.

Point is, we are *****footing around with the war, by letting these other countries tell us how to conduct our war.

17. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

this is true...but in reality...they can orchestrate us to a degree...

with threats such as July 4 in DC for example...of course we are going to react, but we have to do so with the right amount of finesse as not to piss them off enough to screw us...

18. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yes and no. Seriously. What will France do if we go after Saddam? What if we did use a tactical nuke in Afghanistan? Who would really stop us, and what could they do about it?

19. macrumors member

If only it were all really so simple to solve our problems. Here in Jerusalem, we have come to a point where even the taxi drivers don't have an opinion on how to act any more. Imagine that. That's a true sign of desperation in a population.

20. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yes, it is that simple. One of my best friends here is from Israel, and cannot believe that Sharron has not gone further than he has. The point being that when you are in school if someone threatens you, you kick there a$$. If you don't then you spend the rest of your school year defending yourself from the goon. So, that being said. Kick A$$ and take names. Make them fear us.

21. macrumors member

That's cute, but it's not a matter of kicking someone's a$$. The harder you kick someone's a$$, the more they will make sure they turn around and kick yours back later. Jews know that better than anyone.

Problem is, when you start removing checks and balances, and stop listening to what the rest of the world is telling you, it begins to get difficult to tell who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. That's how your neighbours down there in Alabama ended up lynching blacks for sport so long after the rest of us held our heads down with shame.

22. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Bender, I have to disagree with you here. Israel kick A$$ back in 67, and since then has not gone after the problem. You have to root out the problem at the source, and then keep the problem from growning back. How? PR my man, PR. Same with us, this is a game that we are going to have to play with the world as well. Now, should we be going after the Saudi's. Hell yea we should. That is the point. We are picking and choosing the definition of a terrorist to make other countries happy. Europe did not want Arafat labeled a terrorist, and you know what he is. He and the Islamic Jihad, and the PLO, and Hamas. They are all in bed together and funded by the Saudi's and the Iraq's.

23. macrumors member

What you are describing is not a solution, only a method of control. You keep beating them down to make sure they don't get up. This doesn't make peace, and it doesn't stop them getting to you once in a while. And one day they will get strong - they always do.

But I will agree with you on one thing: That is probably the best strategy we have at the moment. What's important is that we see this approach for the violent obscenity that it is. And when the time comes, we have the courage to stop killing and start build bridges.

Bedtime now. Be interesting to read what you have to say tomorrow morning!

Just one small correction: most of the funding for Palestinian terrorism comes from Iran, Syria, the EU (money diverted from humanitarian projects) and the US (fundraising). That also makes me think of something else: Most of the money that funded the IRA came from fundraising in the US, with the full knowledge of the government. I say: "If you support terrorism, you are a terrorist"!

24. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I don't think there is a real answer with it. Anything we do as a nation, as a protector is always going to be scrutinized by some group who disagrees. We'll always be a target as long as we are who we are. I wish I could foresee a world where we didn't have these factors affecting our future, but unfortunately technology has brought it upon us.

25. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have to agree that it is a method to the madness. I think the ultimate goal is to get rid of the radicals to the point that those that are left have no choice gut to negotiate. Now, that being said, the way to make them stop is for them to fear you above all else. They will not fear though, that is the entire problem. So those that choose to make war, get terminated. Period. Anyone doesn't like it, tell them to take a leap. Now, sooner or later, they will realize that they cannot defeat you, and then you have won.

As it is now, they believe that they can make the US and Israel do as they want through terror, and it will not work, nor will it ever work. Detonate an atomic bomb here, or use biological weapons here. And we can prove that someone did it.

If that ever happens, and you know someone in that country. You might want to call them and tell them goodbye, because they will be glowing for the next 10,000 years.