Macs and the way of life

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So all these macs and ..... threads, made me realize there was a bigger picture involved. Apple and Macs are a way of life for all of us. How have Macs changed your life? Made it better, worse, easier, happier?

But the a better question would be why?

I'm not sure. I love my macs, wouldn't trade them for a PC for anything. Yet its hard to describe why my relationship with them is so undefinable.

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Macs have changed my life, Macrumors has changed my life
    cause I would be usually out riding around on my bike doing rails or whatever
    but now I'm on my mac either at macrumors on photoshop,
    in itunes or just messing around with my computers setup (I still ride all the time though, just not as much as I used to)

Alot of people have said macs are like a cult.....
    well it kinda is like a cult we come here and read mac news
    we post interesting stuff about macs and we all share our opinion
    and talk about what we agree with or don't agree with

like my signature APPLE FOR LIFE

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The Mac way of life has been good to me so far...
    I use my Mac.com email address for my primary personal account (letting my Hotmail account full of spam slowly die).
    I use my TiBook everyday, and my PC occasionally.
    I use a Mac at work as my primary work machine.
    I am slowly building up a wardrobe of Mac related clothing.

I try to spread the good word about Macs wherever I go...hmmm, maybe it IS a cult! :D

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Macs have also changed my life.
    Macrumors has taught me MANY new things, and really interesting things that I have never known. Without a mac, I probly would be trying to fix my Wintel.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

career for me

well i think macs have helped me shape a career path...

as i was in junior year of high school or so i was heading along the family line of becoming an engineer... then my older, mac using brother (we had a mac at home too) suggests going into computer graphics/graphic design...

at the time, the best i could do was some cheesy video titles with director and some strata studio pro stuff, but it was still fun. and i'd not have been able to, or introduced to such a thing on a pc.

so now i'm in film school for computer animation at the best film school in the country in the biggest city in the country... of course i'd never have lived here had it not been for the mac and my brother...

oddly enough, he is a chemical engineer/law student and he's living his life vicariously through my graphic efforts. every week he's offering me a "challenge" with some new software or another to try to make a better image or movie than him.... he's a freak

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well I've met my girlfriend from the net on my first Mac....actually dated a previous girlfriend from the net as well...

made friends...found the wonderful world of mp3...

the advent of using computers for creative purposes obviously got me where I am in life as a graphic artist & amateur photgrapher (digitally anyway)...

my TiBook keeps me from hours upon hours of boredom while my girlfriend is away...

when I think of more reasons I'll post them!

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's fantastic:D Did you use an online dating service or somewhere else?

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Macs and the way of life

Well, when I was a kid, our school had us on PC's and Apple IIgs, so I was pretty much a technophobe... Didn't see what they could do for anyone, so I steered clear. In 6th grade my teacher had a few of us use her ... God it must have been an LCIII? to get online via AOL. I was amazed at the display, I remember thinking "so this is technology!" The next year, moving to the HS buildings, I remember having to save something, and I couldn't get the disk out. Finally I figured out how to eject it... I thought it was the coolest thing, that a disk drive actually ejected the disk for you.

The next year, 8th grade, I knew more about Macs than every teacher and student, save the network admin. The rest, as they say, is history - I was working on their network constantly in HS, and sometimes even with their consent... hehe :D

So if it weren't for Macs, I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today. I'm currently a simple freelance computer consultant, but with the skills I learned on Macs, I could have any technology career I want... It sounds cliché, but Macs can be the basis for a good education...

:)
    pnw

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

now don't frown upon me too much...but it was AOL....

<hangs head in shame> I know...I know...

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Could have been worse, it could have been MSN messenger... *shudder* :eek: :eek:

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's not that bad. Besides you probably wouldn't be with her if it hadn't been for AOL.

So how did you 'meet'?

12. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

everyday in my second hour at school i visit at least 10 mac sites to see what's new

every hour i think of apple at least a few times

i battle with my ignorant pc friends day-in, day-out

first thing i do in the morning and when i get home is wake my mac from sleep

second thing i do is go to macrumors

i've never enjoyed computing as much as i do now... if mac users have formed a cult then i'm proud to be in it

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hear, hear!

Wear your colors with pride! Place those Apple stickers in prominent places on your car/clothing/person...vive la Pomme!

14. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

you can be assured that as soon as i get a car i will be stickin' some apple sticker on it too!

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You'll get different reactions from everyone here, but for me, if there were a company that could make a better "whole widget" (hardware/OS combination) with better hardware compatibility, better software compatibility, better price, better seamless integration, and less arsing about required to get everything working, I would not be a Mac user. In other words, if the BeBox had really taken off, I'd probably be a BeBox user. It's just that there is currently nobody offering a better desktop computing experience than Apple. I don't see that changing soon, either. (Unless Apple moves to x86. In which case I might as well just shoot myself in the head, or become an Amish luddite.)

Alex

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I was searching profiles for local New Orleanian who was interested in art...and I came across her's....we chatted for about a month...

I invited her to gallery opening...she couldn't go so we made it drinks another night....the rest was history...he he he :p

17. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

aww isn't that sweet

I'm sure it sounds like a cool thing to but you could meet up with a maniac
    that wants you dead

But I willing to risk it:p

18. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I work in an office where I have 2 of 3 macs. I placed the white apple sticker that came with the TiPB on the window to my office. I wouldn't mind getting some more, anyone know if they're available from Apple?

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

pc field is my living...fixing, troubleshooting, tutoring, teaching, calling, bidding, bank, credit card pmts on biz, insurance agents, partners, partners moving, bill gates' whims on windows, city hall, possible storefront, city limitations on signage, parking, licences, certification, keeping up with trends, losing sleep, etc...

mac is my recreation

20. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ooh, sounds like a new thread...

What do you do for recreation on the mac, not just surf I hope. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:D

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

with all the schiza i do with pcs, all i do with mac is surf and email

so ibook or imac is all i need and there is no real justification for tibook or powermac

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Try here:
    http://theapplestuffstore.com/MS.html

Why doesn't Apple sell their stickers directly I wonder? I mean, it definitely makes them more special that you only get them with the comp...but it sure makes it tough to make the "brand" more visible...

23. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That site is fantastic, they even have all the 'Think Different' Posters. I think I'll be getting one and some of those Apple Stickers.

Thanks Rower_CPU!:D

24. afonso macrumors member

Well, when I first saw a Mac with 5 years old I was hooked...

I remember spending hours in MacPaint having tons of fun... ever since then I knew I had to become a computer scientist, so here I am now finishing my masters...

I also met my boyfriend through my Mac, on IRC... actually, we hated each other before actually meeting in person... it's been 3 years now and we're moving in together this summer ;)

I think Apple is just one of those things I can't live without... If I had a religion, this would be it.

It just frees my mind :)

And yes, I do have an Apple White sticker on my car's back window... my car is white as well, so it all looks great together ;)

Later,
    Afonso

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: career for me

some of the best technicians, network engineers for macs, sytems engineers for macs, and even mac network administrators are graphic designers in small companies that can't afford techies or do not feel the need

i worked for one silicon valley outfit, huge company, who's IT dept run by accountants (which is common) saw "no need" to hire mac techies...so the artists, with their goaties and body piercings, became computer hardware engineers by default

of course, the more well funded pc side has techies who studied, ee, el, cs, and math and do tech work without also having to worry about being the company's artists and web designers...boy, are you in for a surprise...he he

btw...and hey jello, be proud to tell people you go to NYU...even us californians admit that you guys have a better film school than even USC or UCLA...and yes, i am a californian but appreciate new yorkers so much that i married one

some film school experts say that AFI is also as good as NYU but it all comes down to what you do with the knowledge you gain...i hope to one day see one of your movies