macs and tv/movies

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Apr 9, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

macs seem to be on tv and the movies a lot...certainly more than in real life

remember the g4 towers in mr. glass' room in "unbreakable"

or reese witherspoon's tangerine ibook in "legally blond"

there are many other examples, of course

what are your favorites?

2. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

Ben Stiller's cubes and flat screens in "The Royal Tennebalms"

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ben Stiller has had a lot of Macs in his movies.

The tangerine iMac in Zoolander. He has to get the files out of the iMac, so he throws it down on the floor, busting it open, wondering where the files are.

Jerry Seinfeld had a 20 Anniversary Mac - the 1st flat screen Mac!

HBO's Sex in the City, Sarah Jessica Parker has a G3 laptop. One episode her boyfriend bought her a replacement iBook (blue I think). She went back to the G3.

There are so many more. But its interesting has Hollywood embraced the Macs because they're cool, or is it all high profile product placement for Apple?

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: macs and tv/movies

Actually, her apple was the only one in a room full of pcs. That actually seemed fairly real world.

Apple's are in Tom Cruises movies too, like the laptops in MI, and MI2. I think the laptop in Assassin with Stallone was an apple.

5. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

The entertainment industry is run on Macs (or Avids to be technical). Has Microsoft ever won a Grammy?

The other side of it is that there are so many films and tv shows that profile other brands (or just generic boxes) that just fade into the background. No one can miss an Apple, so when a Mac is present we note it all the more.

6. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

My favorite is ID 4(independence day) When the cool, smart guy goes up on the little ship to the mothership and sends a virus to the alien mothership.:) I bet you have never seen a Windows machine save the world.:D

And the show Malcom In the Middle, his teacher's class just has iMacs and nothing else.

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

How was the Royal Tennenbalms? I really wanted to see that movie (since I really liked Rushmore) bad never made it. I've gotta rent it as soon as it comes out.

[edit]
    Oh yeah, the original topic! Weren't the laptops they used in Mission Impossible Macs (the G3 powerbook, if I'm not mistaken)? I think that's cool just because they did some fairly high-tech stuff (though fictional) with them.
    [/edit]

Matthew

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

my favourite so far is the advert for 'The Art of War' (the game from cossacks), where the guy's using a tibook. It cracks me up every time i see it!

Shame the apple logo is covered by a sticker though. That seems to happen a lot when apple computers are used on tv :(

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's not the case. I think it might be the exception to rule. Most of the Macs I've seen have all proudly displayed the Apple.

10. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

I loved the Royal Tennebalms!

It is a very witty movie. It features an allstar cast that creates a funny movie that makes you think. I have seen it a few times, and some of my friends just didn't get it. I guess some people just don't think movies are funny unless they have fart jokes in them (although fart jokes can be funny too)

11. spuncan macrumors 6502

Simpsons

in the simpsons one of the older bully kids had a newton (curly i beleive) and he chucked it at Martin Prince after the text got messed up.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Simpsons

Macs and Apple Computers are always in the Simpsons. Groening is a huge Apple fan. There have been Apple SEs, iMacs. Also its somewhat anti-Bill Gates, now theres a good Mac fan.