Macs are everywhere

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Well not really, just on TV. I watch Scrubs (i love that show) and i saw a Mac, meet the fockers i saw 3 macs, in the last month or so i have seen a lot of macs on TV/shows extra and have not seen ANY pc laptop or desktop. I have been thinking of this for s while so its not like i will not notice a pc. Is it just me or does Hollywood love macs?

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I see ALOT of macs aswell especially powerbooks.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I saw one in a Yellow Pages ad, of all places, two minutes ago. But Macs have always been shown on TV and in movies vastly more often than their market share would imply. They do look better than most PCs....

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I always see macs, mostly the notebooks, on commercials, tv shows, and movies.

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I bet that the reason they do this is becasue the look SO buch better then PC's
    Also i just saw an advert for a Display and a PC but in the advert they used mac keyboard and mouse :rolleyes:

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, I especially noticed that when watching Meet the Focker's. Greg used an iBook in the beginning of the movie, and the little kid's room was filled with the old sunflower iMacs. Smart choice ;) :D

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You see Macs in movies and TV shows not because they're pretty. You see Macs because the people who make these shows use and like Macs. Actually, you can see Dells and other Wintel computers, if you look. However, you may also see a Dell credit at the end of the show.

8. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

You might have a point there. Whenever i see people who do movies/music they use a mac so that must be a reason. Anyhow i would think this only can be a good thing.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The Movie Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen or something w/ Lindsay Lohan in it, they make a play and its computerized so the teacher goes, "Students, hit your space bars!" and you see like 40 PowerBooks and kids pressing the spacebars then the music starts!

10. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Ben Stiller always seems to have macs in his movies, i have seen two other films when he had Powerbooks and mentioned them in the film (i think one was called Nightmare neighbour or something, recent and out in Sky box office here in the uk...crazy old women who lived in the room upstairs of their flat..).
    I reckon, as often happens, the same director usually casts the same actors and obviously enjoys working with Ben (in this case) and probs uses and likes macs. Maybe Ben is a mac fan himself.
    You probs see pc's in films and programs all the time but the Powerbook just seems to stand out, especially to use mac fans

11. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

While I have noticed many Macs in TV/movies (although I'm pissed they are gone from 24... why use the $800 Motorola Ojo for videoconferencing when any Mac with a $150 iSight will be better?!?.. okay enough rant), I have noticed a lot of commercials that show websites to be shown on a Mac screen. Actually, they are never true screen shots, but the layout of the windows are definitely Macs (just like the Simpsons episode after the Super Bowl).

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Yup, and also sometimes they say its Windows...

... like my cable internet company is like talking about the speeds, and you can CLEARLY see the top of the brushed metal Safari browser with a black mouse, but its showing a Microsoft only feature...

This happens in AOL also - AOL 9.0 Security Edition for Windows! with a black cursor...

13. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Alot of the time the people who dress/design sets are designers or art types (that being their job and all). Designers use macs almost exclusively, the creative industry is Apple's main group of users so it makes sense that you see Macs on tv and in movies.

Plus they give they film an extra cool factor cos macs are way cooler than your average beige box.

14. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

what buggs the hell out of me is when you see macs with their logos brushed out or something in the program - like friends - there;s a TiBook but it's apple logo quite obviously has duck tape over it

scrubs' iMac G4 has the "sacred heart hospital" logo on it where the logo is...

ER have dell machines do they not?

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The machines on ER have varied from season to season... they've been Gateway, Dell, and I'm pretty sure even HP. Given that Cook County General is frequently mentioned as being cash-strapped, it makes sense that they wouldn't have a shiny row of Macs or Sony VAIOs. In that regard, you have to give their production designers credit for realism.

16. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I still think the most surprising/ironic ad featuring a powerbook was a magazine ad for AMD! It showed a guy and a kid (if I remember correctly) holding a ti powerbook with the apple logo photoshopped out! Kinda sad that no products that use AMD processors look good enough to feature in their own ads! :D

17. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

I think Michael of Joey uses a PowerBook. The other night on SNL they had this false ad for buying cheap kid supplies that you can order online- misprinted books, etc., and the parents were ordering on a PowerBook!

18. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

RE 24

Things look very bad for Jack Bauer now that CTU is run by Dells. The glass doors seem to creak now too. Do Dell make doors now?

It was simpler when the good guys used Macs and the bad guys used PCs.

Enjoying the new series none-the-less.

19. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

The last two movies with Macs I saw were Duplex (also Ben Stiller) and Cold Creek Manor. In Duplex, Stiller had a G3 PB which caught fire and got run over by a tow truck. His wife, Drew Barrymore, had a G4 PB and her character worked with Macs at a magazine publishing office. In CCM, Dennis Quaid uses FCP on some kind of Mac.

Does anyone remember the OS Peter used in Office Space? It looked like classic Mac OS, but it had a Windows-like c:\ prompt.

20. andypress macrumors regular

I know ATI has ads that show a powerbook with an ATI sticker on it-with the apple photoshopped off.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I noticed that :D

I've mentioned this a couple of times before, but my dad bought a Dell in 1998 and it came with a brochure promoting their website - with screenshots from Mac OS 7 :D

22. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

A couple weeks ago, I watched an older movie (1993) called Ghost in the Machine. In one part, they are in a computer store and the salesman actually says, "Check out the new Powerbooks, they're really great!". I also noticed a very large Apple logo in the background of the store...

Another movie with loads of Macs is the "The Hulk". Everywhere you looked an iMac G4 sat :D :cool:

23. silentrage macrumors member

product placement

It's called Product Placement. Companies are known for for paying to have their products in movies, commericals, television shows, print advertisements, etc. Apple is one of the more successful companies utlizing product placement. Apple has such distinctive features (the white iBook, the Titanium PB, the look of the OS) that when you see it feature you immediately know what it is.

I read an article recently where Dell is trying to hone in on this market. Dell's wasn't a popular choice because they refused to allow the logo on their machines to be reversed. With the logo reversed the viewer would be able to read it from left to right instead of backards.

Apple didn't have the same problem as Dell becuase the apple silhouetteis distinctive no matter how is placed. :cool:

24. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

without a paddle

just saw without a paddle, and one of the main characters had an iMac G4 on his desk at home. tres cool. my girlfriend gets irritated because i point out every Mac i see in tv or films.

25. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Yeah but product placement usually involves the company who's product it is paying the show/film. Its blatantly obvious sometimes in films, and when it is there is usually a thankyou to Apple/big logo at the end of the film credits. What people are mentioning here are the more subtle ones that sometimes get missed. Apple wouldn't pay for someone to put their product in and then get it covered up. But I know what you mean, Apple seem to know all about visual marketing.