macs + democrats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kev0476, Aug 4, 2006.

1. kev0476 macrumors member

this is a trend i seem to be seeing, correct me if i am wrong.

I have no idea why this seems to be true, could be the people i hang out with, but, this is the place to find out.

does the mac attract democrats over republicans?

2. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

i've noticed that too. it probably is the people i hang around too, seeing as i only a couple mac fans personally, and i know mostly democrats. but hey, mac os X is progressive and so are good democrats

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Erm, possibly... not here though, we don't have Democrats or Republicans.

We have the Liberal Party (who are conservative) and the Labour Party (who are liberal). There are a bunch of smaller parties but they don't really count.

I don't really support either of them but I have to vote for someone (well, I have to appear at the polling booth on voting day but I don't HAVE to vote - still do though) so I go through as many policies as i can before voting day and figure it out from there.

I haven't seen a liberal/conservative trend here amongst Mac users.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You see other Mac users? :D

I don't know enough Mac users to be able to make a trend. :(

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So the liberals are conservatives and the labours are liberals? You have to explain that one, especially the first part :p

6. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Another Democratic Mac user here, and I too have seen the trend. Although if I remember correctly, Rush Limbaugh is a big time Mac user as well. :eek:

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm, I just usually notice that people I want to know use Macs. :) I've met plenty of Republicans who use them. They're good machines. Quality crosses party lines.

However, you will find that many artistic people use them. Maybe that's why you think Mac Users are mostly Democrats.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Difference between Big L and little l.

The Liberal Party is conservative (I think they're the most right wing party we've had in power since Menzies around the time of the Vietnam War but CNN in the US calls them "centre-right" go figure :confused: :confused: )

The Labour Party is more left-wing but I would describe them as centre-left (I guess that would mean CNN would call them "red commies" :p )

Neither of them endear themselves to me all that much, as you may know, when we vote, we vote for candidates for our local area. These candidates are members of the various political parties (Libs or Labour generally) or independent. Once all the local members are elected whichever party has the majority in the house, the leader of that party (who also has a local constituency, Little Johnny's electorate is a segment of Sydney whilst Big Kym's electorate is over in WA) becomes Prime Minister. Neither Little Johnny or Big Kym are my favourite people in the world but that's probably the reason LJH keeps winning - better the devil you know.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iGary is a Republican.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just quickly, it's spelt Labor. I think it harks back to something happening in the Goldrush days, but I wasn't paying much attention in ninth grade so can't tell you any more.

11. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

I'm a republican.

But then again I'm only 17..so my party status means nothing as of now. ;)

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Every I know in my offline life who uses a mac is a republican. I am a republican so I guess it's just that the democrats are more talkative online or something like that.

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

...or so a quick trip to the politics forum would have you believe... :rolleyes:

14. almightyshoe macrumors regular

I think that while you can draw some trend lines between left/right vs Mac/Windows, I sincerely doubt political loyalty is the reason some make the switch and others adamantly stick with Windows. Almost every law school and business college website I've visited recommends a Windows PC due the software agreements with the school. I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to the political affiliation of business students. Almost every high school in the country gets that sweet sweet bulk deal from Dell/Gateway, and the majority of people go with what they know, which is an understandable but idiotic philosophy.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oops, sorry. Yeah, force of habit bunging that little "u" in there. I thought it looked a bit funny.

16. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I'm a card carrying Commie Liberal, subscribing to the Church of Liberalism. [/ann coulter reference]

17. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I'm a registered Democrat that has voted mostly Republican so far. Does that count as a moderate?!

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nah, to the Republicans you're a pinko commie, while to the Democrats you're a right wing whacko. ;) Of course, by the standards in the rest of the industrialized world, both our major parties are pretty right of center...

Anyhow, look in the Political Compass thread to get a better picture of where people stand on the issues, and not just party lines. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=84734
    Take the survey yourself, you might be surprised...

B

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

In my grade we have 2 Mac houses... one house is Democrats the other Republican.. as for the rest of my school most other Mac users are Democrats(Teachers and a few students) but my Science teacher said she liked my iBook, and she republican, and her kids stand by dell.

But most of my school is very liberal so take that for what it worth

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I know a lot of liberal PC users but the few Mac users I know seem to be leftish.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- it also counts as tragic. :)

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep, there are many conservative Mac users out there as well. :)

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Very true!

24. Queso macrumors G4

More social conservatives are coming to the Mac now, but I think traditionally due to it's creative leanings it's attracted social liberals.

Personally I got into them because the queues to use them were shorter at Uni, and being a leftie (handed that it) it did seem simpler than Windows for getting my work done. Politics didn't really come into it.

25. aquajet macrumors 68020

I currently know two other Mac users (besides my parents). It's kind of depressing. One's very liberal, the other is a Republican. Both are gay.