Macs dont crash, seriously its amazing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jsousa, Jul 27, 2006.

1. jsousa macrumors member

[​IMG]

yea, running 22 programs simultaneously (including world of warcraft, photoshop, an emulator, and photobooth - cpu hogs), with 3 terminal dev/null scripts running. i could still go to each program to use it as i normally would, with little to no slowdown.

it is on a macbook 2.0 ghz with 1 gig of ram. i was amazed. sure, the cpu temp was at a solid 85*c, but the computer is amazing. 22 programs, not one froze or crashed.

2. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

3. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

nope, OS X is good at multi-tasking like this, not to say that all your apps are going to run spectacular or anything, but they will run. :D

5. jsousa thread starter macrumors member

windows would be done as soon as you run half those.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

A good party trick is to minimize all the windows, and then maximize them while holding shift. If you click them all in quick succession, you get them all maximizing in slow motion! Great fun.

I'll agree, OS X is amazing at multitasking. Windows is slower than Microsoft releasing a new OS in comparison. That doesn't make sense but there we go...

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

22 programs? That's nothing...I've seen people post screen shots on here where they have a full 30" ACD dock filled with open apps. :p

8. jsousa thread starter macrumors member

really? dannggggg, what cpu and ram though? is that like 50 programs?

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Got to love apps. Did some broadcasting for a good semster at our highschool All semester no problems till the last segment on the second to last day... Stupid Spinning ball.... stupid stupid...

It was a G5 (dont know processor), but is used daily by 4 broadcasting classes to each do segments, let alone the kids using it at night to finish for deadlines.

10. jsousa thread starter macrumors member

hey guys, when doing the rebate do you just have to cut out th part and serial id or the airport, ethernet, and bluetooth id as well?

11. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Sadly, OSX does crash and lock up - moreso than my XP installation has ironically.

Glad to hear you've had nothing but good times though.

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

30? That's nothing!

Well I was inspired to see how many apps my MBP could open at once. In fact, it can open all of them!

It's a bit sluggish obviously, but when I stick 2 GB RAM in it, it should be fine! It still claims to have 30 % free CPU, so I can stick a few more apps in there!

Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

They're all still open! I'm writing to you with 47 other programs open (48 if you include Firefox)...

Macs are awesome!!!!!!!

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

This thread looks strikingly familiar to another similar thread.... where is that one at?

14. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I happen to be one of them... I ran 35 programs including all the Pro apps including Aperture at 1 Infinite Loop.
    Edit: It was a PowerMac G5 Quad with about 4GB of RAM.

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Do you mean welcome to a UNIX like OS?

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I've seen PC Servers running Ubuntu which begin to struggle at 10 apps open...

17. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

hooray for you. i can do the same on my computer too. and it's not a mac.

i've seen the same happen to macs too.

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeah, on G3s maybe. I've seen a G4 PB 12" do around 20 apps open, and there was no lagging or slowness.

Admit it, Macs are superior when it comes to multitasking! :p

19. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'll admit OS X is better than Windows XP _BUT_ compared to GNU/Linux, *BSD yeah right...

20. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

My windows machine can do that with no problem, so cam my Mac. That's one of the first thing I didn't when I got my MBP. I then tried to do it with my iMac G4 and had to reboot it because the beahball wouldn't go away. :rolleyes:

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The Mac OS has always been able to handle multitasking relatively well, in the sense that multitasking itself would not cause it to crash or slow down (in the old days, it was poorly written programs such as Netscape interfering with other programs' memory).

Here is a fun screen shot of Mac OS 7.6.1 doing something similar:

[​IMG]

34 Apps running simultaneously (including two instances of SimpleText)... 35 if you include the System Software. I could have done more, but I ran out of apps on my hard drive.

22. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

i'll second that

23. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

my windows computer can barely run 5 programs without having some sort of spasm/freeze-up.

24. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    You seem to be exposé-ing more then you think :D

In other news, welcome to Macs.

Another regular occurence you will recognise is that you leave your compy on for days on end-I do.

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

acutally, welcome to os x

os 9, while better than the windows 95/98 it competed against, could never open that many programs