Macs & Friendship

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eyelikeart, Apr 11, 2002.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I figured I'd jump on and ride the wave while it lasts! :p

I've been here since January, 2001...and I've become quite comfortable with my place at macrumors...over the past few months...I've started to really feel something of a connection with many of u guys here...

jefhatfield....mischief...krossfyter...AlphaTech...Ensign Paris...MacAztec...Kishba... (I apologize if I left anyone out!)

u guys have become pretty cool friends I've found through this site...even though we may never go past our computers...it's always great to come here & be able to share views about life and ourselves here...

the internet has been really...REALLY good to me these past 6 years...I've made many incredible friends...and, unless I've been decieved by a higher power, have most likely found the woman I'll marry someday soon... :D

am I just a freak or does anyone else around here feel similar?

2. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i used to read macrumors and never signed up until december... but since then i've become (somewhat) active here... i really enjoy reading commentary & opinions from other people... especially those who share common interest

this site has been a perfect way for me to make new friends... and thanks eye for including me-- definitely a cool thread

i hope i'll be able to make even more friends here

(ps: arn, the general discussion forum is the best thing to ever happen to this site! -- i owe ya!)

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i feel ya eyelikeart.

i too get a lot of good out of this place. everyone seems to be cool and intelligent. i really appreciate everyones posts and thier kindness towards me and others.

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I agree completely! (even if eye cruely omited me from the list:D) This is probably my most visited site for the past few months now.

These recent 'macs & ....' threads have really been interesting, and changed the way i look at some of the people here. It's good though, i find, to be getting to know each other better, and to get a better grasp of where the other person is coming from with their statements. It's not all that easy to find many mac fans to chat to face to face, so this site is a great place to come and 'meet' with others.

As for the internet... i don't where i'd have been without it this past year! My fiancee has been back-packing around the world, and if it weren't for emails, i'd probably have to sell my computer to afford the phone bill :)

5. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

britboy,

i certainly agree that the recent mac and [insert topic here] threads have been eye openers (i'm not sure if the pun is intended, it's pretty weak)

i've learned a lot about "typical mac users"... mostly that there is are no typical users

i used to think that nearly all mac heads were designers, but now unix geeks are joining as well

these threads are helping us spread a great message: the mac lets us all maintain our diversity and learn about others

when i think of winblows i always think about beige boring boxes and boring office cubicles

if i've learned one thing from this it's that behind every mac there is an interesting person

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah this is a cool site and I visit everyday
    and I don't think many people are happy with me
    but Im starting to change
    EYELIKEART is cool, he hasn't said anything about me yet
    But its the best place to be, you get to just chat, talk and express your views anytime you want and in any possible form.

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i dont think ive ever been not cool with you.

i enjoy your posts.

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

what gives you that impression? (no sarcasm intended)

9. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

To tell you the truth, I'm not about to lend you guys a couple hundred dollars to bail you out of jail, but everyone here on this site is really cool. That's why I basically visit this site exclusively as opposed to some of the other mac boards.

-pete

plus...this site is well run, and the moderators are always available.

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hey mac15 (noogie) relax kiddo!!!

If I've verbally bitchslapped you I appologize. I was probably trying to keep constructive criticism from becoming laborious and dull lecturing.

It's funny, my best friend is a Mac Geek par excellance and most of our friendship has been spent either selling, fixing or using Macs.

-Eye
    Thanx for thr recognition......I'm flattered. I do consider the more ....... uh .... sane (yeah thats it;) ) ........ members my Friends. I have found an encouraging trend of optimism and open mindedness here that has kept me out of a SERIOUS bout of depression from all the crap the world is putting itself through recently.

Hey, anyone want to help me save the world?

It'll be easier than you'd ever guess.:D Let's do it.

11. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I, for one, think you're all wankers.

Of course, that still puts you above most of the people I deal with in person on a daily basis :D

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Hey mac15 (noogie) relax kiddo!!!

How easy...?

I think MacRumors serves as a great community for us to vent frustration, share gossip and even help each other out with tech questions...with that sense of camaraderie comes a pseudo-friendship that exists in this virtual world we call the internet.

What's amazing to me is that we can discuss all of these things and feel like we know each other...and yet we'd never even know if we walked by each other on the street! (unless of course we happen to be wearing a MacRumors t-shirt at the time...;) )

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Hey mac15 (noogie) relax kiddo!!!

This is so true. I started posting only recently, but its become a morning ritual to get online and see what's new, who's started the next cool thread, what someone had to say about what I might have posted the night before.

I'm really interested and curious about what's going on with Apple, the international aspect of Mac-ness, speculation. We are a community, virtual community that shifts and changes daily, but its a great resource. I've always had a few friends to discuss issues, but this is so much more useful. I'm hooked. I just hope I can return a small part of what I've already learned.

14. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah I'm probably just over exagerating (think it how you spell it)
    na all you guys are coll and I respect everybodys point of view
    because they are all very interesting
    even the ones who just only joined macrumors ( most have good ideas and points )
    I shouldn't just beat myself up, sorry to everybody

15. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm glad to come back and see u guys are actually into thread...I wasn't sure if it was a bit too corny or not...

and mac15...the only thing I recall was that u had that large amount of 3 & 4 word posts leading up to your avatar status which got u flamed a little...but other than that I don't see why anyone should have a problem with u...remember...I was the one who warned u...he he he ;)

16. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yep you were the one
    but that in the past and I moving on and still posting like a madman
    but this time they are alot longer than the ones befores the big 500

:D :D

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i like spikey for his candidness

eyelikeart for his participation

krossfyter for helping me bear my daily cross

alphatech for his motorcycle

mischief for being able to put up with the central coast backwardness

ensign paris for his avatar...and dukestreet, too for avatar

kela for being spikey's partner in crime

blakespot for defending me being a pc tech

arn for starting those great threads

mymemory for keeping this site global

thlaylilthefierce for being fellow mustang

paulw for being a great theologan

agreenster for veryfying my two handles

foocha for being the first to bring a personal level to macumors

john123 for being our ivy league representative

macrain for being able to defend us from being sued

and many thanks to dozens of others who post every week, especially the ones who disagree with me most so i get a chance to get some more posts in;)

18. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Of course its the best!!!

This site is so obviously the best Mac site on the web. And like I've said on other threads, its pretty much because of the people. I feel like I know many of the regulars here. And yet, just like most friends, you guys are still able to surprise me every once in a while--like on the recent barrage of 'Macs &' threads, which have been wonderful!!

How about in "real life"?? Do you guys find that Mac users have a tendency to befriend each other in their more *ahem* traditional friendships? Personally, a very high percentage of my very close friends and relatives are Mac users. I did a quick count and estimate that nearly half of my friends who own computers own Macs. A little better than 5% huh?

How about you guys??

Matthew

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Of course its the best!!!

By being a mac user and in the minority, it gives us a common bond that we can all relate to. Any time you meet a mac user you can always find something to talk about regardless of your background.

I have several mac friends, but not just because they have macs. We share more in common, it is more of a coincidence that we all have macs.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Of course its the best!!!

that's so true

21. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Of course its the best!!!

Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

These are all people I have met in different walks of life and befriended. And I'm talking about my closest friends in the world here--people that will always be my friends. And many of them bought Macs after I met them (they saw how cool mine were!!). In fact, I've never met a friend through Macs (until MacRumors of course :))

I find it neat that so many of my great friends are also Mac users. My theory is that our personalities are all conducive to Mac-liking. It runs deep :D

Matthew