Macs frustrate the FBI

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Daveway, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This is an excerpt from an article on securityfocus.com. The full article can be read here: http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/215

I found that article quite amusing. Just another reason to use a mac
    ;)
    Courtesy to yourmaclife.com for the reference.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Check your date, I think we did this a year ago -- don't know it it's been archived yet.

Edit: of course a year later they're finding that Windows machines (I think) are frustrating them more -- since the huge new database project may be scrapped.

3. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

yeah, i remember reading this article a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i remember it too

but i still find it amusing

5. mac-er macrumors 65816

Just because you have seen it before doesn't mean someone else hasn't.

I had never seen this before. Thanks for posting!

6. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

HIGH FIVE

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Thanks for the article, i sent the link to a friend who wants to major in forensics (also against mac :( )

8. bosrs1 macrumors 6502

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

oh hell.

now i hafta be afraid of the mounties?!

10. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

wouldn't finding info on a mac's HD be the same as on a window's based machine. Both have sectors, both have the same make hd. Maxtor, WD, Seagate... etc. I don't know the big deal about having a mac (in terms of the FBI not knowing how to physically get data off of it).

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I have a life, so I'm not the first one to say "REPOST" and put up dumb graphics. This is a great article. Thanks for bringing it up because it was an enjoyable read. Also, with the things happening up north with the 4 RCMP officers, this story should hold some relevance.

12. Candyfingered macrumors member

Of course the Mac user could just put all their important data in Firevault... then the FBI could get it... after the sun goes NOVA.

13. Candyfingered macrumors member

True, but you have to be able to read those sectors with something... aka the computer. And they don't know how to do that on the Mac. Firevault makes that even harder. Unless the user gives them the password they'll NEVER get the information.

14. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I have a script that cleans house with srm -mzfv. Can data be recovered after using secure rm?

15. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Thanks, I like bringing forth new entertaining articles. One thing to note is that when do a forum search to make sure you don't make a repost, results are not always accurate. This is because people will use titles that have nothing with the subject you want to post about. ;)

Back to the article. I'm not a hacking brainiac, but don't you need a PC to hack PC using systems?

16. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Um... stupid question but how does filevault work and why is it so hard to get into?

17. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I was also wondering this. I don't understand how it could be that difficult to get info off of macs. And wouldn't the FBI not want the public to know about that?

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think srm uses 7-pass overwriting, which is also known as "only the NSA is more paranoid". Correct me if I'm wrong on this...

And the FBI does have backdoor passwords to many encryption codes... It's considered "vital to national security" to have unfettered access to citizen's data, even if they think it's secure. That said, I don't know if the government has the key to Filevault, which uses a much more sophisticated system than your average encoder... This would truly be the only way to get in without a password, it can't be hacked (yet). Considering how much Apple would undoubtedly like to tap the intelligence market, it wouldn't surprise me if they gave the keys to the FBI, but then again Apple was started by leftist hippies, so who knows. This is all assuming such a backdoor key exists, it may not at all.

19. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Dude that sig is an acid trip :eek:

20. panphage macrumors 6502

Erm...wow. The NSA might be a light-year ahead of civilian cryptographers, and they might not. They absolutely refuse to say a single word about it. But the NSA ain't letting the FBI in on the fun.

And I'm willing to bet (and do everytime I use it) that there aren't backdoors to most of the popular encryption schemes (Like PGP and GPG). That's why the FBI and NSA get pissed when citizens encrypt their data. I don't know where you got the "backdoor" idea, but go do some reading on the history of cryptography. Real "strong encryption" has years and years of dedicated peer review behind it and absolutely no "backdoors". Apple's filevault, being proprietary, is therefore almost certainly less secure than an open and tested system like PGP/GPG. Guys like Bruce Schneier laugh their ass off when a company shows them their "uncrackable" "secret" encryption routines. Security through obscurity does not work here. The math makes it ridiculously hard to crack, not hiding what's going on. That said, I'm not really up on the literature for Filevault. It could be based on a tested and proven routine with mounds of peer review.

And then again, the most common weak link is the meat sitting in the chair. Whether it's choosing your own birthday or "password" for your password or being susceptible to "social engineering", it's almost always easier for someone to crack the user than the encryption.

21. Monkeyman1 macrumors newbie

Why does everyone get is such a tissy about reposts anyway? It happens. Most users aren't going to go beyond the first page to see if something has been posted.

22. bosrs1 macrumors 6502

It's the level of encryption and the fact there is no back door. If you don't remember your password God himself couldn't get the information off let alone the FBI. It would take 4.6 Trillion years to break the encryption. Even if we learn to break such codes exponentially over the next few decades it would take years and years to break in.

23. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Just voicing my support for Lacero... People who get so upset over reposts just need to take a break from the forums for awhile or something... or just relax. I for one had never seen this, and wouldn't have thought to search for it :p

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some of us get quite a bit of entertainment out of people that think reposts are a fun and exciting way to get banned. ;)