Macs getting viruses

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BrentonX, Nov 27, 2006.

1. BrentonX macrumors newbie

hello,

I was just wondering if it is possible to get a virus on a mac or spyware/adware and if it isnt then why is there norton for mac

thanks

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

To make money.

People who interface with a lot of Windows users may like to have anti virus running to prevent the spread of viruses from Windows computer to Windows computer via their Mac.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

macs do not get viruses. period. There may, theoretically, be a mac virus 10 years from now, but I don't think so.

Norton is a waste of money and will slow your computer down more than the hypothetical viruses its "fighting" :)

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

As of now, there are no known virus for Mac OS X.

5. paintballer macrumors regular

I'm sorry to tell you guys but there are viruses for mac. There are just very few and most of them don't work very well.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Viruses? Where? Which ones?

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

So, another unfounded Mac virus thread gets started. Read the subject line and 2 of 4 posts. Another inflammatory post is sure to come soon.

8. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Do you run an anti virus? If so, which one.

9. paintballer macrumors regular

It is pointless to run an antivirus on a mac. There are viruses for them but it is a very small chance you will ever get one and if you do most of them are extremely inefective.

10. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

ummm... no.

i mean, i'll totally apologize if you show me a mac user with a virus. I have never, ever heard of one. not with mac osx at least.

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

There are no known OSX viruses (at the moment). Same for most flavours of unix.

There are Word macro viruses, but who in their right mind would use Word ;)

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Reference please.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Choose your words carefully. There are no viruses for Mac OS X but there are several exploits.

Nothing is currently available that will replicate and propagate itself to another machine without authorisation and if you're willing to authorise an exploit to take over your computer, enjoy.

Symantec sell Anti-Virus, etc. to make money. It should be able to remove Windows and MS Office viruses, but generally Norton brand products are crashware and cause more harm than they do good.

14. paintballer macrumors regular

Well I did a very quick search and was only able to find about 5 different viruses for OS X. Here is a link explaining about one of them. And there are also about 30 viruses for classic macs. So as I said before there are very few so you don't need to worry about them.

15. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

People tend to use "virus" and "worm" interchangably. There has certainly been at least one worm out in 2006:

Symantec's Leap.A page

This one is fairly lame. However I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before something significant hits, since some Mac users tend to have a stupid attitude about security as well so they'll be easy pickings. Just check out the majority of the posts on this forum after that dork Johnny Cache pulled his wireless stunt (and remember, since that Apple has issued two Airport patches that in all likelihood were related to that exploit). And the SANS people have commented Apple seems to frequently need to relearn lessons the rest of the Unix world learned years ago.

16. andcraig macrumors regular

Viruses for Classic can't exactly infect OSX...
    So i don't think those matter.

And i think the only "Viruses" for OSX have been either proof of concept, never released in the wild, or needed user intervention and couldn't propogate on their own, therefore they weren't viruses.

And with Word Macro Viruses. That happened to me once. Hooked it up in target disk mode to a school computer that had norton on it (a G5 powermac). Norton didn't even find it so i just removed it manually.
    those things are really just annoying, just thought it was funny that the one virus you can get on OSX, or rather in Office:Mac isn't caught by a virus scanner for OSX.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They're classified as viruses by Symantec. They're trying to sell anti-virus software.

The first one is recent and runs on Mac OS X as a shell script. That hole had been plugged within a few weeks of the discovery.

The next two are not Mac OS X viruses, they are Mac OS-based and may not even run with the Classic environment enabled.

The final one is an MS Word virus, which isn't run by the operating system and only affects those running MS Office.