Macs in print

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by Daveman Deluxe, Aug 21, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I just got my text book for my computer science 101 course this fall at the university. It's pretty cool, actually, Apple gets a LOT of respect in the text. The book credits Apple with bringing the personal computing into the homes.

Check out this quote:
    "Under his [Steve Jobs'] leadership, Apple has regained its innovative edge, releasing a flurry of successful products that combine high technology with high style... Apple retains an almost fanatically loyal customer base..."

They even got the other Steve's name right. They call him "Woz"!

When talking about operating systems, the book only talks about XP as combining the home versions of Windows and the business versions into one.

OS X is described as "stylish" and "animated" and is "built on UNIX, the powerful OS known for security and stability..."

The last quote, about peripherals: "Most newer PCs, following in the mouseprints of the Apple iMac, include high-speed, hot-swappable USB and FireWire (IEEE 1394) ports..."

Nice to get some respect in the textbooks! :D

2. macrumors 65816

vollspacken

WORD!!! respect where respect is due..!

vSpacken

3. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Re: Macs in print

Interesting. I've heard this said before, and my first reaction was, "What do you mean, 'Almost'?", since (sometimes) I do feel like a fanatic -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

But it occurred to me that being a "fanatic" follower carries the connotation (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the following is somehow baseless or unreasoned. I'm not sure that this is the case. Can you really be a fanatic if you like the system that's demostrably better? Hmmm...

4. macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've heard a fanatic defined as someone who can't change the subject, and won't shut up. :D

5. macrumors regular

R E S P E C T

We are gaining respect one person at a time. Soon the world will be ours.

(okay that might be dreaming but how about 10% marketshare, that would be just as good to me.)

6. macrumors 6502a

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Computer Confluence, fifth edition, by George Beekman. He's actually a professor at my university (Oregon State).

8. macrumors regular

Re: Re: Macs in print

yes, but neither system is better.