Macs in Tokyo, Japan - please read!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gotohamish, Dec 29, 2002.

1. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Hello,

I know there are a few Japanese forum members here and I have a question for you - I'm going to Tokyo at the end of January for a fortnight and am taking my airport equipped TiBook - is there a list of free airport hotspots or other wireless cafes that I can use to keep up to date. Also, will I need to register with any services first?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Hamish

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well, it depends on where you will be located, but as far as I know, you're out of luck. Most of the ISPs had free internet hotspots throughout Tokyo, but they were all experiments, and they have already ended.

But, if you are willing to pay, NTT has a paid hotspot service, which you can pay for either a monthly fee (about 3000 yen including the set-up fee), or a 1 day passport for 500 yen per day (with no set-up fee).

It's in Japanese, but here is a list of the available hotspots throughout Tokyo.

irmongoose

3. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

It depends on where you will be staying.
    I live near Shinjuku and there are a couple of places that have wireless Internet spots, as well as Akihabara.

In Shinjuku, Yodobashi Camera has a Yahoo Wireless Café in its main building, near the Shinjuku train station (West/Skyscraper district exit).
    Also in Shinjuku, all of the Mac stores are equipped with airport base stations!!

In Akihabara, the Loax store #3 has a Yahoo wireless Internet Café.
    Also there is a Softmap and Loax Mac store on the main street that is airport ready!! ;)

FYI the Mac stores in Tokyo kills any Apple store in the US I have visited!!!
    The Mac stores in Akihabara Are eight stories tall!!! :eek: :eek:

There is no charge to use the Internet in any of the stores listed. ;)

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

yo, you serious dude? damn... guess I haven't looked much at all... well, I don't have a laptop so it's no use for me, but I never knew they had so many hotspots... thanks!

irmongoose

5. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Thank you SO much for the info! :D

Any chance of a MacRumors reunion in Tokyo to show me the best Mac stores?

I've never been to Japan before and will have lots of time on my hands.

Let me know at hrobertson@mac.com

cheers!
    Hamish

6. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I've heard about the Yodobashi Camera first floor one. But didn't know any others! Wow. But it's kinda stupid to go to them via train. When I was in NYC last month, I was on Starbucks ($) and Bryant Park (free) WiFis. I'm hoping Tokyo will get tons of hotspots too.

Until then, I'll live with my 64Kbps AirH cell cards.

Oh, and when are you coming to Tokyo, gotohamish?
    I'm always open for drinks, unless my client is biting my ass hard :D