Mac's on movies or TV shows?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by burritos, Feb 17, 2003.

1. burritos macrumors member

I know there are two on 'Sex on the City'. Jessica Parker has an old black G3 powerbook, and Cynthia Nixon has a Tibook.

I think the editor in 'Smallville' has a iMac.

I'm sure Mac's have been used in other shows and movies, do people know off the top of their heads?

2. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Re: Mac's on movies or TV shows?

hey check out basically any movie and they use macs.

jeff goldbloum used a mac to save the world in inderpendence day, josh hartnet had one in 40 days and 40 nights. watch any movie from the mac five years and 90% of the home computers are macs.

Tyler

3. Wano macrumors 6502

In Austin Powers: Goldmember they had tons of g4 with 22in display and he used a tibook.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Here's some off the top of my head:

-Royal Tenenbaums: LOTS of Cubes and Studio Displays plus older Apples when Chas is a kid.
    -Mind of the Married Man: Mickey uses a TiBook.
    -Six Feet Under: The massage therpaist chick uses a TiBook
    -All my Life: FP iMac in their house
    -Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: Macs allover
    -Will and Grace: Grace now has an FP iMac in her office.
    -Zoolander: Orange iMac stars in a scene

They are everywhere on the screen, probably because they look good and come in assorted colors (well they used to) to match the sets.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

6. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Final Destination 2

There was pretty blatant product placement in Final Destination 2. This guy who supposedly won a lottery went out and got himself an iMac and carries it up to his crummy apartment. The name iMac on the box, as he carries it, is perfectly positioned towards the screen. Also main character is seen looking up directions on PowerBook, with its Apple logo on the cover glowing nicely in the dark. As much as I like Apple products, I do not like product placements in movies because they can be very distracting.

7. Toby O Notoby macrumors newbie

I work in advertising and we all use Macs. Whenever you have to shoot something with a computer (film or print) you tend to go with what you know and put a Mac in there. Plus art directors tend to like the way Macs look more than PCs. They're just a cooler design than anything else. That's why you tend to see them a lot.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Final Destination 2

it was great what are you talking about!!
    wonderful...i went to watch it with some of my windoze loving friends and they died when they saw all those apple computers (and they also saw the trailer for Bringing Down the House, which has Steve Martin using a TiBook).

9. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

------it was great what are you talking about!!
    wonderful...i went to watch it with some of my windoze loving friends and they died when they saw all those apple computers (and they also saw the trailer for Bringing Down the House, which has Steve Martin using a TiBook).

Well, I'm sure it was great for you. I was really bored and looking forward to a scary movie and BAM! There is an Apple logo which I know so well and love, in full view, and there goes all the scary element in the movie. It is like watching a scary movie and you see someone you know in the background playing an extra, the movie is not scary anymore.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

the movie sucked but the product placement was great.

11. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

-----the movie sucked but the product placement was great.

At last, someone who also thinks movie sucked. Many seem to think all the violence made the movie worth watching. I suppose product placement wasn't as big of an issue in terms of my enjoying the movie since it sucked anyway. Still, I wish they were more subtle about the whole marketing gimmicks in movies.

12. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

In MIB 2, in there mercedes, there gps thing uses mac os x with ie.

in friends you see them in rachel and chandler's offices, will and grace, in Leo's apartment they have a FP display but you cant see the computer.

in ClockStoppers, they have lots of ibooks and FP displays

in everyone loves raymond in his basement office he has a mac and i think he has a blasck PB now.

In ligalyBlond, the girl has a ibook at harverd law

well thats all i could think of at the top of my head

-aethier

13. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

in friends you see them in rachel and chandler's offices, will and grace, in Leo's apartment they have a FP display but you cant see the computer.

in everyone loves raymond in his basement office he has a mac and i think he has a blasck PB now.

-aethier

PS in one of JEn lopez' older music video's there are imacs and powerbook

14. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

-aethier

PS in one of JEn lopez' older music video's there are imacs and powerbook

15. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

oops

oops didnt mean to post that 3x

-aethier

16. Das macrumors regular

Well, 24 has about the most macs I've ever seen in one showing. Granted they also have some (like 3) Dells. The place is mactropolis. That new Steve Martin movie has one and who can forget the days when they hid product placement in TV shows like on Just Shoot Me where a post it note conveniently covered a mac logo on Jack's tibook. Ah, the good ol days. And, for any book fans (the things with them squiggly lines) the new William Gibson book has an Apple Cube and cinema display in almost every paragraph(ten bucks as to what he wrote the book on).

Oh yes, and Final Destination 2 did suck, plus the fact that his new imac didn't even get out of the box before getting melted in the apartment fire. I guess death had a plan for it...so young *sniff*

17. Anne macrumors member

yet another reason why Buffy rocks

Buffy the Vampire Slayer! Willow's trusty laptop is an ibook. And oh the world saving that little computer helps out with!

I think I also remember seeing an episode of the Drew Carey Show where there was an office filled with imacs.

18. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

My favorite- Future rama- The world of robots, when the super computer that runs everything is shut down and reboots, the familiar Apple chime can be heard as it restarts.

My least favorite- Mentioned above in Independence Day, Jeff Goldbloum- The Cable Guy- saves the world using a Mac.

I think one of the reasons that you see Macs on sitcoms is that many screenwriters and creators use Macs.

19. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

-----I think one of the reasons that you see Macs on sitcoms is that many screenwriters and creators use Macs.

And Macs look way cooler than boring PCs. They compliment the set better. ;-)

20. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

In a 'crime/police-show' on danish TV2, "Station 2", the hosts always have the newest Powerbooks on the desk.
    First they had the black ones now they have titanium ones.
    They never use them, the 'books just stand and looks nice...

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

In the movie AntiTrust one of the SkullBocks guys was using a PowerBook G3

22. Natron macrumors member

I noticed at least 2 FP iMacs on CSI Miami last night.

-Natron

23. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    DareDevil

I just saw DareDevil last night and they had a TiBook and a FP iMac in there.

24. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

In "24" 1 and 2, the counterterrorists use macs (G4s, cinemascreens) in their office... (well before it was blown up).