Macs with non-Apple wifi hardware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yebot, May 12, 2005.

1. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

I did a search and did not find any evidence of anyone doing this.

Can you setup a wireless network using non-Apple Wifi gear? If yes, what hardware do you use? I keep seeing great deals on Buffalo Airstation and Linksys stuff. I wonder if this stuff would work with my quicksilver g4 and old beige g3.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I use a Linksys WRT54G - and used an older 802.11b Linksys before that - with my Macs, no problem. I also have an AirportExpress set up as a wireless bridge with the Linksys, again without any problems.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

use a Linksys wireless B here, going ot have to upgrade to G sometime soon, but works without a hitch!

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

5. Ogre55 macrumors member

I use the lynksys g and have for the past year and have run into no problems.

A few weeks ago I wanted to expand the signal and went to the apple store and they told me that the express could only act as a bridge if I was using an airport as the main connection. This isn't the case?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I use a NetGear WRG614v3. Just because I want to be different from the linksys people. :)

7. Lily1000 macrumors newbie

NetGear here, a DG834G. Cheap, reliable, and easy to set up for my 2 macs and XP laptop. So far a year of trouble free wireless!

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm not sure if you're asking about using non-Apple routers, etc., or if you're wondering about using non-Apple gear in place of an Airport card to add wireless capability to an old Mac. If it's the latter, check this thread. The last post gives specific information on a Belkin 802.11g PCI card that will work. I bought the one referenced in that post at CompUSA a few weeks ago, and put it in my brother's PowerMac G4 400 MHz, and it's working just great. Not quite as slick as an Airport card, because you have to use the utility they provide on the linked page to connect to a network instead of clicking the Airport icon in the menu bar, but it works just fine, and was much cheaper than an old Airport card, plus it's 802.11g.

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If you are using all Apple router hardware, it is trivial to set this up; and the Airport Extreme is the only OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED router that an Express can create a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) with.

Unofficially, though, there are ways to use them with Linksys WRT54G routers as well. Not as simple as an all-Apple network, but it can be done. It's been discussed here, and Google will get you instructions as well.