MacScan 2.3 Anti-Spyware for Mac OS X just released

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 19, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: MacScan 2.3 Anti-Spyware for Mac OS X just released
    Description:: Version 2.3 adds a blacklisted cookie scanner. This feature maintains a list of known tracking cookies, and when run, removes them from web browsers in which they are found.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this for real? Yeah, there are tracking cookies....but are they really worth bothering with? Not to mention that most of them get haterblocked by Adblock anyway?

EDIT: It found two tracking cookies and nothing else. What a waste of time... :rolleyes:

3. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

I'm doing a scan now. I am up to 6 tracking cookies. WOW. I really want to spend money so I can get a 0% increase in performance. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It can be a good thing to run a clean system

Well I just did a quick scan and found 64 trackers, Now I guess that means that
    A: My system is not as clean as others

or

B: My internet usage differs quite a bit from others

At oonly $25 it's not a bad investment, considering what else we blow our money on :D

5. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Two observations:

1) They're cookies. If you want rid of them, use the Reset Safari or Clear Private Data options. One second, bam, they're gone.

2) I do have AdBlock, which filters out a lot of things that would try to leave cookies in the first place....

3) Meh, okay, I'm trying it on my iMac too. :D For what it's worth, my iMac had FOUR tracking cookies. Gods! :)

6. macrumors 68040

iW00t

Spyware on macs are mere cookies?

Wow it is great to be a Mac user :rolleyes:

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True that... one more thing for anyone who's paranoid... again, the cookies are basically harmless. But if you want, you can use the output of MacScan to make your browser block those cookies. This is how:

In Firefox:
    Click Firefox Menu -> Preferences
    Go to the Privacy pane
    Click Exceptions under cookies
    Type the name as it appears in MacScan into the box and click the block button.

In Safari, it's probably most expedient to just go to:
    Safari Menu -> Preferences
    Go to the Security Tab
    Select the option to only allow cookies from the Sites You Navigate To.

8. macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

So is this software really worth it? I mean keyloggers, trojans, spyware; are these things really a big enough issue to mac users (I'll be one of those users on thursday!)? When I get my iMac, will I really need to be worried about these things?

9. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry...there was so much sarcasm in this thread that this point probably isn't obvious to someone who hasn't been on a Mac for some time.

NO.

The answer is no. They're not worth worrying about. The software found no spyware -- just tracking cookies. Which are really fairly innocuous. Even adblocking of those pop up ads is not necessary on a Mac because they can infect the computer with spyware -- only because they're irritating. The only concern regarding viruses at this point is if you get files from Windows users and pass them back to other Windows users (you pass them along pre-infected). But even then, as long as they have antivirus, you should be fine.

Welcome to Mac. Don't worryaboudit! :)