MacSoft releases Halo Universal Binary

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 17, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Games
    Link: MacSoft releases Halo Universal Binary
    Description:: The update is free to anyone who purchased the PPC version of Halo AFTER January 1st, 2006 (approximately when the new Intel Macs were announced), and was smart enough to hold on to their dated sales receipt. If you purchased Halo before the first of the year, or lost your receipt, MacSoft will still ship you a new disc for free, but there will be a $9.99 shipping charge. Those wishing to download the update in lieu of receiving a physical disc may download the update from the MacGameStore. There is a $5.00 downloading charge for owners of the original game.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Not cool.
    I have to pay for the same game all over again? Why dont they just ask for the serial # and let me download it for free?

3. macrumors regular

iProd

4. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

good, im not the only one.

5. macrumors regular

maconservative

Are they going to release the UB version for retail?

6. macrumors 6502a

Well, Apple charges 50$ for the trasition fee, and they're the one responsible for the whole architecture change in the first place, so this price is quite fair.

Besides, making a UB costs money. you need developers, and lots of QA.

7. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Benchmarks for MacBooks please.

(support for MacBooks?)

8. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I saw a boxed copy of Halo with the Universal logo a few days ago at CompUSA (before this announcement), so it is in fact shipping.

9. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

The difference is that the pro aps wouldn't run under rosetta. Halo runs fine (actually really great) under rosetta. Not worth the money IMHO. Ill stick to my PPC version, thank you.

10. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It appears that it's a free update, and they're just charging for distribution. It costs money to make and send CDs, and bandwidth isn't free either. Having said that, technologies like BitTorrent exist to lessen the load on servers, and I would've preferred to see it done that way.